Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: random scenes i'd like to see in flashpoint.  (Read 4520 times)

BronzeEagle

random scenes i'd like to see in flashpoint.
« on: 13 Sep 2004, 22:20:55 »
heres a few:

1.  a machine gunner on fully auto firing at the enemy screaming "ARRRRGHHHHH!" with sad music playing in the background so you feel sorry for him, then he dies.  He'd be all you guys get outta here, then he gets shot.  Like he died to save your life.  THAT'D BE AWESOME.

2.  A mass helicopter invasion and you're in the cargo seat.  Your gunner is firing at targets down below and suddenly one of the choppers next to yours goes down mid air or gets blasted to some dramatic music.

3.  You're behind enemy lines with no rocket launcher and suddenly a slow patrol of tanks start moving past your position forcing you to hide with the dramatic tense music playing.  

I can't think of anymore offhand but ill add more.  some of you from this thread could have a very good mission.

djackl

Re:random scenes i'd like to see in flashpoint.
« Reply #1 on: 13 Sep 2004, 22:43:00 »
1.  a machine gunner on fully auto firing at the enemy screaming "ARRRRGHHHHH!" with sad music playing in the background so you feel sorry for him, then he dies.  He'd be all you guys get outta here, then he gets shot.  Like he died to save your life.  THAT'D BE AWESOME.

You'll be pleased to kno that in the hopefully soon to be started movie, i plan on makin on of the good guys mortally wounded so he has to be left behind while the bad guys enroach on the goodies position. The good guy will be left with a heavy machine gun sayin stuff like 'DIE MOTHER F***ERS' until he gets taken down by the main bad guys ( a sniper) now theres somethin for you to look forward to, if only i could find the time to write the bloody script.... :o
« Last Edit: 13 Sep 2004, 22:43:13 by djackl »

Matt Walter

« Reply #2 on: 14 Sep 2004, 00:58:45 »
I am making a campaign right now and I think I could fit in the part with the tanks. It is pretty cool because most mission you see a bunch of tanks, it is a ambush mission. It is a differnt twist, and I like it.  ;)

The helicopter invasion I can try and incorparate. I will see what I can do.  ;)

BronzeEagle

« Reply #3 on: 15 Sep 2004, 06:44:01 »
Here goes some more:

1.  shootout on the road
You're involved in a car to car shootout between your vehicle with machine gun and an enemy vehicle with machine gun.  You obviously have no rocket launcher, and the mission objective has to be in some sort of way to where this exact scenario has to take place, as if, you had to escape and all you had for guns was a jeep with machine gun and you're on your way when you set off a trigger that an enemy vehicle with machine gun starts chasing you.  You can't get out of the car since you'd have no guns.  The car is on a do follow or manhunt script command, and all you got is this vehicle with machine gun, but will you make it?  That'd be awesome for an escape from prison camp mission.

3. air attack:
 Being attacked by a helicopter with machine gun from the air.  Something similiar to a huey or blackhawk with machine gun.  Or just have it so that the hind has no rockets on it, which isn't known amongst most common editors.  But basically the heli just has machine gun, and its not high explosive, just regular rounds.  I wish those door gunners would target men on ground more often.  

4.   showdown
Basically a showdown with one of your boys sitting in a chair in the middle of town with guns on him ready to fire if you get too close to him.  he's a captive and you must attack the gunners which you cannot see.  He's telling you "its a trap, don't come any closer".  It happens in alot of movies.  Once you reach him close enough to untie him in the action menu he'll get up and join your team.    

5. shootout and chase2:
 You're given the position of a P.O.W. and as you arrive he's about to get into a truck to be moved.  It's a risky shootout to disable the truck from behind as its about to move away from you without injuring the hostage in back.  The cool part could be that the vehicles he's being moved in has an mg on it making it hard to persue.  Secondly, it goes on an endless drive around the country without stopping until he's out of fuel.  So you could mix it in with the shootout scenario above.

6.  Enemy planes on a bombing run and you're caught in it forcing you to evacuate your vehicle.

7.  You're a lonewolf agent and a team of assassins comes to the airport to fastrope out of unmarked choppers to assassinate you.  

8. ill equipped:  
 You're forced to take out some kind of armor with only grenades. It's pretty fun, ive tried it on a bmp.  Takes i think six grenades to stop a bmp for good.

9.  ablaze: To see trees or a house on fire in ofp.
  That'd be awesome.  Maybe something crashed in the forest or something and the entire forest or a good portion of it is on fire.  Fire effects on buildings period is a good idea.

10.  A mass evacuation scene:
 where you're at maybe some kind of refugee camp when a major assault is coming your way.  You play the role of a team of medic soldiers at the camp maybe with ai on the static machine guns n stuff and as the chinooks come or whatever to lift the people up out of there, the attack hits, and not all of the choppers make it out of there but luckily yours does but you see alot of good friends get killed.

11. More use of handwriting:
 A Spec Ops briefing to where if you just received orders while in the field before mission starts type of scenario then of course the briefing isn't going to be typed up its going to be handwritten.  The plan is going to be hand written.  Especially if you've been living in the field for days.  It's not like the team stenographer just pulled out his typewriter to draw it up with his little portable typewriter.  Specifically for resistance and spec ops missions only.  

12.  Two world leaders meet with each other.  One is suspicious that the other has weapons of mass destruction prepped and aimed and ready to launch a nuclear strike within the next few weeks based on intelligence he's received.  He tells that to the other world leader.  The other world leader says to him "no" basically and that he's wrong.  Also he says if I catch any of your people spying in my country, they will wish that they had never lived.  

Basically, anything chaotic or disastrous makes for a good mission scene, not a cutscene but an in game scenario.  What is the key to making an ofp mission?   Challenge, fun, adventure, emotion, and detail.        
« Last Edit: 15 Sep 2004, 22:37:30 by BronzeEagle »

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #4 on: 17 Sep 2004, 19:59:29 »
Number 8, with instant respawn, and surrounded by tanks is fun... ;D
Tried it with a few people from the squad I'm in (RCIR)..
Yeah, some of those ideas are really good
Keep it up ;)
- Ben

BronzeEagle

« Reply #5 on: 17 Sep 2004, 21:26:39 »
1. VIP PROTECTION

The intro starts out that an anti terrorist team storms a camp and takes out all the enemies.  Then they rally up at a tent where one of them says hes read some names on a computer of people they've been planning to kidnap.  He says, "Thomas Hadley, American contractor.  This intelligence says he's supposed to be kidnapped today from an airport not too far from here and we don't have much time."   Then another guy says "Let's move out."  

Last night i had a dream that i was at an airport and men were looking for me.  One single target.  So i figured wouldn't it be cool to play the part of a delta team as an airport is under siege.  It's like the enemy is trying to find one man and has totally taken the airport to get him, but you play the part of an anti terrorist team on the mans side trying to rescue him.  You have to hastily assault the area and very cautiously take out your targets because you might shoot the man in question.  This man has to be very special somehow, yet not special enough for a security team to follow him around all the time.  Maybe noone ever got ahold of him that he's being hunted down so he just goes about life casually until both friendly and enemy forces get a bead on his location and the battle ensues.  He has no clue who you are or who to trust but you win and he comes along with you.  I think the mission should end with you all leaving in a civillian ground vehicle.  Then maybe mission two could start up with an ai driving the vehiicle and you guys are all in the back listening to the contractor air his confusion and you relay the story of whats going on to him and then you get ambushed.  LOL.    

2.  Remember all those old nintendo games where you'd get a little cutscene before the game?  Well I thought why not use their filming methods.  So, I thought of a scene where you see a civillian woman facing away from you and in the background or in front of her is a column of APCs just in the background.  Then she turns around so you see her face and puts a phone up to her ear giving you no clue of what she's saying  and then the convoy is vaporized by some rpg or something.  Well that could be the intro to a mission where you play as a spy out to find her or something like an anti terrorist unit out to destroy her organization.  It's like the intro gives you an idea of how bad of a person the enemy is and what they're up to.        

A good thing to notice in most movies is when everything is peaceful its really peaceful.  There has to be a time for peace.  Most movies fail at putting in a time when everything is peacful and the moviegoer or whatever can just relax for a few seconds to calm down after the fight scene, but some movie makers or directors make their movie a constant excitement and people really do say "I'm tired of this movie, or I'm tired of this mission."  So thats something to think about for you campaign makers.  
« Last Edit: 17 Sep 2004, 22:00:27 by BronzeEagle »

BronzeEagle

« Reply #6 on: 18 Sep 2004, 20:39:19 »
How many times have we had a nightmare of something very large attacking us or played it in a video game?  Well I thought of a few ways we can do that in flashpoint.  Here's a few more random scenes id like to see.  

1.   You hear a chopper in the distance and you're totally caught by surprise, maybe a cutscene just ended or something, and there from behind the mountain going straight up rises a huge horrible enemy chopper, then it attacks you.  I know how to do this if you need help.

2.  The mission starts with your team in a natural ditch or foxhole of some type.  Any place where the elevation goes down sharply.  You are all laying down in line formation with the ditch just over your heads.  Presumably you all had to duck for some reason like heavy suppressive fire or something, and maybe the mission starts and the suppressive fire is still going off just over your heads hitting your barricades.  At the top of the indentation you're layed down in, just in front of you at the top of this hill is a fortication of sandbags there to help you take cover with as you take whatever is over the hill that you cannot see as your team lies in this ditch.  The enemy position.  Just as the enemy fire dies down and all peace is established and you look up to check things out, you detecting enemy tanks triggers them to come moving right at you, through your barricades, through your ditch and almost run over your entire team.  It's a real shock as you figure your about to die, but strangely they don't see you (no ammo and noone in the gunner position to simulate that) and they drive right past you so they probably presume you guys are dead.  You got lucky this time.  
« Last Edit: 18 Sep 2004, 20:42:11 by BronzeEagle »

Offline Blanco

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 19 Sep 2004, 23:33:34 »
Here is an idea I had last night, quite easy to do

- the mission start in the middle of a battle, your team is low on ammo. You have to call for support, an ammodrop.
The ammocases (on chutes),are being dropped but the enemy is still around and they are moving to the place where the ammo should land. (with updated moveloop)
Your mission or one of the objectives is to get there first...
Search or search or search before you ask.

BronzeEagle

« Reply #8 on: 21 Sep 2004, 10:28:09 »
Blanco I think you were thinking of a good challenge for a mission and came up with that.  I try not to challenge the mind at all but rather relax it to a point where no challenge can defeat it.  I find it rather offensive to buy a game and the maker only challenges me.  Shouldn't I rather be prepared for the challenge that awaits after the game?  Isn't that what the purposes of playing games is?  A kind of training under the hidden pretense of fun?  I feel more satisfied with a game that has blockbuster scripted sequences, good cutscenes and good story telling so that when im done playing i feel really refreshed and ready to take on the real world again.  
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2004, 11:11:09 by BronzeEagle »

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #9 on: 21 Sep 2004, 23:53:24 »
Shouldn't I rather be prepared for the challenge that awaits after the game?  Isn't that what the purposes of playing games is?
??? ???
Lol, I think you're getting a wee bit too... out there. I actually have no idea what you are talking about here, but I always thought the purpose of playing games was to have fun. Obviously fun means different things to different people, but I think most people like OFP because of the freedom of movement and play that it allows, unlike most FPS where you basically walk down a scripted corridor (indoors or outdoors--CoD for example is just an outdoor looking corridor game), blasting enemy after enemy that pops up in front of you.
I feel more satisfied with a game that has blockbuster scripted sequences, good cutscenes and good story telling...

Well... you should watch more movies instead of playing video games. The point about video games is that they are interactive. Instead of sitting back and watching a story unfold, you get to be a part of it, and in the best cases, you actually affect how it unfolds.

HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

djackl

« Reply #10 on: 22 Sep 2004, 17:25:17 »
I beg to differ on your second point. I myself am in love with films made with PC-Games, they add more dpeth to the genre. I look at movies like 'Operation flushpoint' by Xenofanes, and 'redvsblue' which is a series of comedy flicks made in HALO, and I love them because they show somebody challenging the medium to make a significant alteration to the intended genre, and surely that's what editing is about?

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #11 on: 22 Sep 2004, 23:23:36 »
I think OFP movies are more of a novelty than anything else, really. "Flushpoint" for example was just a really, really long, mediocre cutscene, IMO (sorry, not trying to bash). "Red vs Blue" is great because (from the few I've seen) it has some clever comedy, not because it was made with HALO. Editing is about making things that you always wanted to do in game, which obviously means different things to different people.

But my point was that the main attraction of video games--the thing that sets them apart from movies or TV--is that they are interactive.
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

djackl

« Reply #12 on: 22 Sep 2004, 23:43:07 »
But does all elements of a game need to be interactive to be enjoyable?

- Metal Gear Solid 2 (the king of movie/games) step forward!

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #13 on: 22 Sep 2004, 23:47:18 »
No, good cutscenes add a lot to games, and MGS is a great example of that. However, MGS would have sucked if it had lousy gameplay; yet it would still have been decent if it had lousy cutscenes, IMO.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #14 on: 22 Sep 2004, 23:55:09 »
A game is a game.   You do something.

A video or a cutscene is not a game.   It is something you watch.

Cutscenes are a very powerful way of improving your enjoyment of a game.     They do not improve the game itself.

The more cutscenes a computer game has, the more like a film it is.    Ultimately I suppose you could have a "game" without playing, just cutscenes.

As with so many things, the optimum game experience is achieved with a good balance of all the elements that go to make up a good game experience, which obviously includes cutscenes.

In the particular case of OFP, the point of balance for user created missions is with as little cutscene as is required to set the scene and tell the story.   This is because the game engine is designed for play, not filmmaking, and the effort/reward balance for cutscene making is dreadful.      Far better to put that effort into making a better mission.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play