Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Operation L**ack MIA  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
Operation L**ack MIA
« on: 22 Jul 2004, 13:25:44 »
Is some reworkung Operation L**ack for a different name ?
Because it would be ashame to have such a good mission not available because of some ******* (insert words which are not allowed in the forum) copyright issue for a ******* car tools from which i have never heard.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
Re:Operation L**ack MIA
« Reply #1 on: 22 Jul 2004, 14:38:56 »
what, who, and why followed up such a small copyright infringement? all thats needed to be changed is the name, surely?
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #2 on: 22 Jul 2004, 15:14:04 »
Well I think the whole thing is just bullshit. Do some people actually think that somebody could mix up an OFP mission going by the same name as some fucking car alarms or what ever.
Toadlife's mission has a lot of impressive scripting and indeed it would be a shame to lose the whole mission due to some god forsaken car transmitter. I can honestly say, that if I ever was to buy and install this transmitter or whatever to my car, now I won't.  >:(
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2004, 16:59:28 by Artak »
Not all is lost.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #3 on: 22 Jul 2004, 15:35:05 »
they can't touch the scripting... not one bit... as Toady just has to say he invented it from watching a tv program on tracking collared bears (u get my drift)

all they can touch is the name...

Homefry31464

« Reply #4 on: 22 Jul 2004, 16:56:39 »
I'm just curious how all this came about....?

Dubieman

« Reply #5 on: 22 Jul 2004, 17:08:13 »
Did lojack car systems or whatever the hell it is contact OFPEC and request this name removed?

A name change should solve everything as I don't see how Lojack the mission affects the sales of the actual Lojack. ::) :P

I wonder which came first...?

This is very stupid indeed. >:(

OrangeLeader

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2004, 18:47:23 »
It is just a legal issue. The word is tradmarked. Someone could sue and say it is to common to be TM-ed but you would probably loose. I was suprised that OFPEC did not remove it earlier. They must have been contacted by the company recently.

This brings up another question. What about all the other missions with copyrighted material in it? I'm talking about music mostly. They will have to go next if OFPEC wants to be in copyright compliance.

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2004, 19:59:21 »
hmmm... thing is tho, Lojack is easy to find as its called Lojack... music theyd have to test every mission to check - not likely the record bosses are gonna come do a witch hunt and look at our missions  ::)

Dubieman

« Reply #8 on: 22 Jul 2004, 21:09:40 »
Well who's gonna know about the music?  ::) ;)

I don't think I can use my "custom" music in my mission though, since I'm entering it in the BIS mission competition. They said no copyrighted material allowed unless it is BIS stuff. So no custom music. I'll probably just stick with some lame 7th song or something. ::)

Who knows, when OFP2 comes out, all our names will be copyrighted and any mission name will be m102345 and all music will be homemade. Crashing pots and pans together on the mike won't sound good... :P :-\

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #9 on: 22 Jul 2004, 21:12:33 »
Eh?
This is the funniest thing I've ever heard :P
Anyway, on a more serious note..
How can you copy-right a word  >:(
I mean, where does it end.. Could I go and copy right the word "The".. And no game, song, program, anything could ever use the work The in it's title..?
This is stupid, someone should email the LoJack company and shout at them a bit.. Maybe not acctualy.. Someone should email the comapy and complain..

"What an age we live in" ::)
- Ben

Dubieman

« Reply #10 on: 22 Jul 2004, 21:23:00 »
Well I'm going to copyright the word "I", haha you must use a different or semi-changed language or pay me royalties. :D :o :P

I'd email them with many shouts and $$$$ :moon:
 but I'm thinking they'd get the lawyer team and sue me for harassment. :'( :P

Something we have to live with.:joystick:

Offline Messiah

• Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #11 on: 22 Jul 2004, 22:33:49 »
Eh?
This is the funniest thing I've ever heard :P
Anyway, on a more serious note..
How can you copy-right a word  >:(
I mean, where does it end.. Could I go and copy right the word "The".. And no game, song, program, anything could ever use the work The in it's title..?
This is stupid, someone should email the LoJack company and shout at them a bit.. Maybe not acctualy.. Someone should email the comapy and complain..

"What an age we live in" ::)
- Ben

you can't copyright a word... its Trademarked... like Coke, Pepsi etc... such words can lose their trademarks if they become used as a generic term for the product... such as 'walkman' which is actually a trademark of sony, but everyone calls every portable tape player a walkman...

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #12 on: 22 Jul 2004, 23:33:19 »
The way I understood trademarks was, it protected your trademark name from any other company or person using the same name in the same, or similar  line of business.

I can see no connection between Lojack the vehicle recovery system manufacturer and a mission for a computer game.

To whit, there is no trademark infringement, more so because the mission author did not write the mission as a commercial venture.

However, the easiest course of action in this particular case of 'anal retentiveness', is to comply and remove or rename the mission.

LowJack is equally as good.

Planck
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2004, 23:34:57 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #13 on: 22 Jul 2004, 23:51:11 »
Unfortunately guys, this won't be the result of someone just being anally retentive so lets go easy on all involved, okay?

In US Trademark law, you have to actively enforce your trademark (i.e. like this situation) or you lose all rights to that trademark. This enforcement is regardless of whether commercial intent is involved.

Here's an example:
Try signing up a domain name of www.microsoft.**.** where **.** is some very obscure country suffix, and fill the site with some free advice/text of a goodwill nature. No commercial intent, purely a "cheer up your day/laugh/make you smile" text.
I gaurantee you'll still get an email quickly enough asking you to donate it to them in return for some Microsoft products (if you ask for money, they can simply take it from you immediately without your say, as its illegal).
Why? Because if they didn't take that action, they would lose all rights to the trademark of Microsoft, which is a very scary thought for anyone and their trademark.

So you see, US trademark law actually creates these unpleasant situations where trademark owners find their trademark in use and have to actively go after that infringement whether they want to or not.
Hell, the guy that owns the LoJack trademark may be a huge Flashpoint fan, but he still has to enforce his trademark or lose it, regardless of his feelings.

Unfortunate, but there we have it.
« Last Edit: 22 Jul 2004, 23:59:59 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #14 on: 22 Jul 2004, 23:58:18 »
Maybe very true Noon, but, US trademark law does not apply in every country.

There are some countries that are not signatories to all the international conventions on this sort of thing.

As I said, LowJack is equally as good as LoJack.

Unless of course there is a bra manufacturer out there that has already trademarked that one also.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.