Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Language  (Read 1157 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Language
« on: 12 Jun 2004, 22:19:08 »
Could OFPEC please put in a rule that all missions have to be in english to get a review? Of course, if other languages are supported as well that's great but I think there has to be an english version too. I don't want to see OFPEC, just as a lot of other sites, mixed up in 197124 different languages where half the downloads are totally inunderstandable except for a few m8s. Any thoughts?

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:

Offline sim

• Members
  • Hot! Real hot! Damn Hot!
Re:Language
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jun 2004, 22:21:03 »
hey

Yeah i don't like missions when they are in other languages but this may be a bit hard when someone dosn't know any English   ::)

sim
The Unsung Campaign Team Leader

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jun 2004, 22:30:28 »
If he doesn't know english how did he submit it in the first place? ;)

Besides, there are translator programs out there for the most large languages.

:beat: *Gets Shot* :beat:
« Last Edit: 12 Jun 2004, 22:30:40 by The real Armstrong »

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jun 2004, 22:42:42 »
Sorry guys, but OFPEC is not going to turn away submissions just because someone doesn't know English.

They might not score as well in the review as a natural consequence, or we might ask them if its possible for them to submit an English version, but we won't flat out refuse them.

Besides, the number of foreign language submissions to OFPEC is a very small minority.

Regards,
Noon
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jun 2004, 22:50:35 »
My personal opinion on this would be, that if a person makes a mission only on his native language and doesn't bother to make it more universal by translating to english, it's his shame.
I think OFPEC should continue taking mission build with other languages, but including a bold text in the readme which states the language in question.

For example I know a great many mission build with the FDF mod and finnish language, which just make the finns go crazy because they can enjoy the mission on their own native language. If such would be submitted to OFPEC, it should state that it's in finnish language only and from that some people would know not to even bother downloading it  ::)

I agree that there should be an english version of a mission always included, or a separate briefing in english and/or english in the stringtable and/or a starting parameter to select language, but I don't agree that missions without english should be ruled out.
Not all is lost.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jun 2004, 01:46:59 »
We already accept resources in other languages providing it's well flagged.  For example, there are some tutes in Dutch.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Chris Death

• Former Staff
  • Finally Death's gonna get ya
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 13 Jun 2004, 19:49:05 »
I totall agree on not to exclude foreign language missions
here at OFPEC.

Hell look at me - i also accept this foreign "english" language to be spoken here ;D  ;)

btw - a mission featuring more than one language should
earn a bonus point for that anywayz.

Just one more thing to Armsty:

I would rather prefer a mission in a foreign language which
i didn't understand than a mission translated with such
"translation programs", just driving me nuts because of
all that wrong translated crap in there.

~S~ CD
Dont argue with idiots....they will bring you down to their level and beat you there with experience.

How to use Waypoint type Scripted