Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Marines Helicopter project (Ballistic)  (Read 6962 times)

viper172

Re:Marines Helicopter project (Ballistic)
« Reply #15 on: 16 Oct 2002, 18:12:11 »
erm correct me if i'm wrong but i don't think that the marines
use the f-16 or the f-14 for air support

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #16 on: 16 Oct 2002, 19:01:30 »
well from my limited knowledge - a typical beach assult uses:

The marines aircraf carrier as staging post

Hovercraft for amphibious assult

CH46 / CH55 Super stalion for air transports

Huey for radio communications and battle field orders (works like the OH56)

and the Harrier Jump Jet as support fighters and to take out defences.

thats all from a tv show i saw - had the whole things on - very cool.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Schoeler

« Reply #17 on: 17 Oct 2002, 09:57:52 »
The Marine Corps flies both the F/A-18 Hornet and the AV-8B Harrier.  Any amphibious operation of significant size is going to have a Navy carrier battle group backing it, so you would see all the U.S. Navy aircraft involved as well.  Heavy lift choppers are the CH-53E, medium lift are CH-46's and light lift are UH-1N's.  All three of these as well as the Harriers are organic to Wasp class LHD's and Tarawa class LHA's.  These are the small straight-deck helicopter carriers in the Navy's amphibious arsenal.  I don't think there are any operational units in todays day and age, but up until about five years ago, the Marines also flew the OV-10 Bronco extensively for FAC and CAS operations.  

Schoeler

« Reply #18 on: 17 Oct 2002, 10:06:01 »
Oh and I forgot, the Osprey will soon make its way into the Fleet Marine Force.  Interstingly enough, the U.S. Navy does own and fly a squadron of F-16's.  They are the "N" variant fighters and are flown out of Fallon Nevada I believe.  They won't see any combat though as they play the role of the adversary fighters in the Topgun fighter school.  Also the Navy has converted the F-14 Tomcat to a close air support multi-role fighter.  In its ground attack configuration it is known as the "Bombcat".  It's being used in Afghanistan right now.

Tigershark

« Reply #19 on: 17 Oct 2002, 18:02:06 »
Schoeler mate....the F-16Ns dont fly anymore....Navy ran outta money to keep em in the air....its a crying shame but they just sit around these days for decoration

viper172

« Reply #20 on: 17 Oct 2002, 18:04:35 »
thanks for the info man i didn't know about it now i guess i'm a little less ignorant 8)

Dirtman

« Reply #21 on: 17 Oct 2002, 22:17:15 »
Just found a topic over at Operation Flashpoint Fourm:  VOTL script available.

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard301/ikonboard.cgi?s=3daf06fa6106ffff;act=ST;f=7;t=21148

It seems they have been able to get it to work with 1.85 using the new setVelocity-command.  Check it out.

;D

Schoeler

« Reply #22 on: 17 Oct 2002, 22:19:27 »
That is a d@mn shame!  Back when I was in the Navy, before they gave NAS Miramar over to the Gyrenes to turn it into a helicopter base, it was known as "Fightertown U.S.A." and was the home of Topgun.  I used to love to watch those F-16 and F-5 adversary birds come screaming in over the highway at about 400 knots and 40 feet off the deck.  Oh well, thank the Clinton administration for that F-Up.

Eviscerator

« Reply #23 on: 17 Oct 2002, 22:32:36 »
when you were discussing invasion/marines tactics....you missed out the AH-1W :)

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #24 on: 17 Oct 2002, 22:58:05 »
Hey is it not possible to inlude your script in your addon file pbo ???
« Last Edit: 17 Oct 2002, 23:20:41 by BoNeCoLLeCToR »

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #25 on: 18 Oct 2002, 00:43:52 »
lol evis - sorry, forgot the most obvious one - is BAS gonna do a grey version? cos thats the one they have on the Wasp class carriers.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Tigershark

« Reply #26 on: 18 Oct 2002, 03:45:52 »
Messiah-yes.
Bone Collector-Its possible

Schoeler....yeah man...now everything from fightertown is at NAS Fallon now aint it?

I never realised you used to be in the Navy.

These days they use a mixture of adversary A4s, F18s and F14s.

In fact...here are some pics of a nice little mid air mishap that happened a while back between 2 Adversary F18s. They were lucky to come out of this alive. But it shows what a survivable airplane the F18 is.

The unit is VFC-12 Omars based at NAS Oceana. The mishap happened on 22apr96 over the Atlantic Ocean off Virginia. The aircraft involved were 162454 ( 'AF 03' - this is the blue one) and 162475 ( 'AF 12'  - the brown one). Both aircraft received such heavy damage  that neither was restored to flying condition. 162454 did receive some repairs, only to appear on display as a gate guard at NAS Oceana  and 162475 ended up on the dump at NAS Oceana. They were in a dogfight with F-14s from VF-41 during an exercise known as SFARP, Strike Fighter Aircombat Readiness Program.

Frosty

« Reply #27 on: 18 Oct 2002, 10:41:21 »
Mmmm, cant wait for that osprey. Sempa Fi(delis)!!
I also found some very funny DI sounds. Cant wait for the heli pack!

FivefiftysixNATO

« Reply #28 on: 22 Oct 2002, 00:35:07 »
Are these gonna be usuable with OFP? If not, please do, please do, please do, pppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppppplease do!

Eviscerator

« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2002, 01:01:44 »
er, they should work with 1.75+ it depends how much of the new coding we use as to whether they will be ofpcwc compatible