Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Companys, Batallions, Platoons and sh*t!  (Read 9110 times)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
Companys, Batallions, Platoons and sh*t!
« on: 08 Aug 2003, 23:06:23 »
OK, didn't really know where to put this but I thought it would fit in best here.

This is a Q for all you millitary maniacs out there. I would like to know how a Company(like 101st, 82nd and all that stuff) is "built". Like how many Platoons, Batallions and that stuff. I also would like to know how many guys or tanks there are in every Batallion/Platoon so I can built up a realistic company in OFP. You see what I mean? It will be even better if u could draw somekinda map for me, like this:

Batallion 8-12 men         Batallion 8-12 men        Batallion 8-12 men
            |                                          |                                |
            |                                          |                                |
            V                                         V                               V
         Platoon 200000000000-200000000000000000000 men
                                                     |
                                                     V
                                                   ETC.

(proabably easier painted in MS paint)

You see what I mean? If someone could tell me this, it would be great! :-*

Jujuman

Re:Companys, Batallions, Platoons and sh*t!
« Reply #1 on: 08 Aug 2003, 23:34:53 »
Some guys over at coc pointed this out. I know its WWII orbats but it can give you an idea. I'll let you know if i see modern orbats around.

http://www.stormpages.com/garyjkennedy/index.htm

-Jujuman

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #2 on: 09 Aug 2003, 00:10:18 »
The 101st and the  82nd are divisions.

I can only give you up to company level I'm afraid, I don't know anything past that.

Squad/Troop/Group:  5-10 men
Platoon: 2-4 Squads/Troops/Groups
Company: 2-4 Platoons

After that, this is usually how it goes (in what order, not how many to each)

Batallion
Regiment
Division

For armoured/mechanized units it goes like this:

Squad/Troop/Group/Unit: 1 Tank/APC/IFV
Platoon, 2-4 Squads/Troops/Groups/Units

and so on.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

DDT

« Reply #3 on: 09 Aug 2003, 02:02:00 »
I can help a little.  A company within an armor battalion consists of 13 tanks.  4 platoons with 4 tanks each and the company commanders tank.  Now take 13 times 4 and you have a Battalion.  But that is how it is supposed to be.  But sometimes the military is understrengh and has to put the men in other places.  So you may only have 3 companys per battalion.  An Armored Cavalry Regiment is a little different but the same.  There are 2 platoons of Bradleys and 2 Platoons of tanks with the Commander in the 13th tank.  The 82nd Airborne is alot different because it is so big.  They have infantry, scouts, etc.  A scout platoon in the 82nd consists of 10 humvees with 3-4 scouts per truck.

Also with armor battalions you have mortar platoons, support platoons, medic platoons, and others.

DDT

« Reply #4 on: 09 Aug 2003, 02:18:28 »
Sorry i was a little off with my math.  4 tanks per platoon times 4 platoons per company equals 16 tanks, add one for the commander and that equals 17 tanks per company.  4 Companys per battalion.

LTGrizzly

« Reply #5 on: 09 Aug 2003, 04:58:46 »
Ok now first of all you all need to know your stuff before posting! :) If you whould like to know the exact classification of a unit the best way to do it is to go
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military
or
http://www.fas.org/man/index.html
Find the Platoon and then fine the CoC
I.E. 7th Recon Platoon,3 Battalion 1st Marine, 15th MEU(SOC),IMEF,MARFORPAC,USMC, USA  
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/agency/usmc/3-1.htm this is the page for this command, you can also dwnload the "books" about organization just have to search around on the site, well i hope this helped you out, this is to make the missions exactly

DDT

« Reply #6 on: 09 Aug 2003, 07:38:08 »
So who exactly needs to know their stuff before posting?  

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #7 on: 09 Aug 2003, 08:30:01 »
Cheers everyone, I'll check this out! :-*

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 09 Aug 2003, 13:11:34 »
LTGrizzly, from what I can see in your links, my information was 100% correct, so maybe you shouldn't be so quick to pass judgement on people.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

DDT

« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2003, 01:52:51 »
Oops, I forgot the two most important tanks in the battalion.  The Majors and the LTC's.  

TrackenHit

« Reply #10 on: 12 Aug 2003, 06:53:27 »
I would help, but I only know about the marines in WW2 structure. Plus I'm Canadian and you yanks wouldn't understand the Canadian structure....which doesn't make much sense to us either, lol.

TrackenHit

« Reply #11 on: 12 Aug 2003, 06:57:38 »
Oh hell, heres some structure of the marines in WW2.

<Not sure from Division up, but you don't really need to know anyways>
Division = Brig General
Regiment = Colonel
Battalion = Lt Colonel
Combat Group = Major
Company = Captain
Platoons =Leftenant
Squads = Sarge
FireTeams = Corporal

off topic, but still interesting nontheless.
btw, this is the structure of the 1st Marine Division when they landed in Guadalcanal.
« Last Edit: 14 Aug 2003, 04:11:20 by TrackenHit »

CPT Rooster

« Reply #12 on: 12 Aug 2003, 22:28:06 »
In the Army, Infantry units are set up with:
Squad:  5-10 men
Platoon: 2-4 Squads
Company: 2-4 Platoons
Battalion: 2-4 Companies (or even more, I was in a BN with a H Company.)
Regiment is usually more than 1 Battalion.
Brigade is around 5 or more Regiments
Division is 4 or more Brigades.

In Artillery, about the same numbers:
Squad
Platoon
Battery
Battalion
and so on....

Iwesshome

« Reply #13 on: 12 Aug 2003, 22:41:49 »
Could anyone give us some examples of different units that belong to a Regiment, Battalion, or Division level?

I think for example the 82nd Airborne is as at Brigade level and Rangers are at Regiment level… correct?

DDT

« Reply #14 on: 13 Aug 2003, 02:52:59 »
The 82nd Airborne is and the 101st are divisions and have a one or two star general running the show.  Battalions that are in a armored Brigade consist of a HHC, A Company, B Company, C Company and if you have enough people then it can go up to D, E, Etc.  A, B, & C companys are tanks and thats it.  Now the HHC is where your support and Scouts, mortars, medics, and mechanics are at.  A HHC usually has double the personel of a tank company.  

Squad-SGT
Section-SSG
Platoon-1/ 2 LT
Company-CPT
Battalion-LTC
Brigade-COL
Division-Brigadier Gen or Major General
FORSCOM-Lieutenant General

A Regiment is basically a Brigade, but it has all the components for combat rolled in one small setup similar to a Battalion.  In a Armored Cavalry Regiment the Companys are split between Tanks and Bradleys.  1st platoon is tanks, 2nd platoon is bradleys and so forth.

The 82nd Airborne is classified a division because of all the different units that is has.  (scouts, mortars, etc.)

Now to help answer your question.  It depends on what kind of battalion and to some extent what kind of brigade it is as to what kind of units that you have in it.  If you have a Support battalion then it is only medic companys supply companys, mechanic companys, etc.  Now if it is a Artillery Battalion, it has platoons of medics, mechanics, support and so on.  

The way the bigger units are set up (brigade , division) depends on how many people you have and what kind of unit it is.  If it is a combat brigade then you have armor, scouts, mortars, etc that make up most of the unit, with medics, support, mechanics, that make up just a small portion of if.