Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Invasion 1944 d-day  (Read 4269 times)

thegamer

Invasion 1944 d-day
« on: 29 Jul 2003, 20:31:24 »
Can someone make a D-Day Invasion for the demo Invasion1944? Please make it like the beginning of "Saving Private Ryan". Please use addons compatible to 1.46. Thank-you

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
  • When in doubt, empty the magazine.
Re:Invasion 1944 d-day
« Reply #1 on: 29 Jul 2003, 21:13:54 »
welcome to 2 years ago!

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #2 on: 30 Jul 2003, 01:05:17 »
I'm sure he appreciates that sort of comment pablo ???

One of the problems with d-day missions thegamer is that they lag a lot when you have a lot of units and place a mg42 on a beach any they seem to go for the player first :'(. Its possible just hard to make it good.

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 30 Jul 2003, 02:50:32 »
you don't remember all the dday missions when the game was first released?  there was even an effort to make the entire Saving Private Ryan movie in ofp, but it never materialized, just like the effort to make a good dday mission

R.Y.A.N.

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jul 2003, 05:52:26 »
I hate to say it but EA's "Medal of Honor: Allied Assault" gave a good taste of a beach landing...check it out for ideas. In OFP I can easily see this as being restrictively difficult. With a finite number of targets and good marksmanship displayed by enemy AI, you'd get shot a lot, IMHO

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 30 Jul 2003, 06:49:04 »
moh was a good series until is started copying steven speilberg.  now its just lame scripted sequences and has none of the amazing atmosphere that was in the first 2

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jul 2003, 08:18:46 »
one thing i find EXTREMELY annoying is all the "D-DAY" invasions.........but only on the american designated Omaha beach, there were many more codenamed beaches like
Utah
Juno
Gold
and
Sword codenamed beaches
and id like to see more sides than just the americans , gemans maybe or even by a slim chance, the brits, canadians and australians that american history seems to have forgotten

not that im putting this down, who ever likes it go for it........but please try to include more references to the other forces who took part in D-Day

*once more sorry for typo.....no sleep*

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
« Reply #7 on: 30 Jul 2003, 09:02:46 »
yeah but how could it be done without an extreme amount of lag?  you would have to split up every 5 minutes or so of action just to keep it playable, and the basic premise of ofp -- the ability to go anywhere -- would be lost.

the dday landings should be seen as the ultimate goal rather than the first step.

McFinnish

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jul 2003, 13:36:15 »
Ah Utah, the place where Germans killed thousands of American's.  ;D ::) :P Do that in MP mission (I wan't to be an German with MG.42)

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jul 2003, 14:56:21 »
ah the age old military tactic........let the enemy run TOWARDS YOUR GUNS muahahaha.

anyway back on topic, you could do some recon missions to play beforehand, and building up to DDay
« Last Edit: 30 Jul 2003, 16:48:52 by KJAM »

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #10 on: 30 Jul 2003, 17:31:47 »
yeah I remember the missions pablo but don't you think its still a good idea to have a go? Two years on we've a lot of new commands to play with.  ;)

Instead of beach landings why not do the airborne landings further inland where you avoid most of the problems we've mentioned.

R.Y.A.N.

« Reply #11 on: 30 Jul 2003, 18:28:47 »
.pablo.-

I don't know if you realise this, but MOH didn't copy Speilberg, Speilberg was involved in it's development. Check the end scene credits

I'm currently reading Ambrose's book on D-Day. How about  some D-day missions as the invasion COULD have been planned, instead of how it actually was executed? there were several possibilities to consider, even the time of day was questioned by High Command- some wanted a night landing while others insisted that the fleet had to be moved during daylight for coordination.

How about a night landing at the Pas-de-Calais? Or a situation where Rommel had indeed pulled his tanks inland, so the Germans could allow a flexible defense that allowed them a swift counterattack- I see a mission where the landing is relatively easy, but as soon as the player's squad makes it off the beachhead, they are attacked by panzer infantry supported by their tanks. Suddenly their assault is on the defensive, and the breakout depends on the player's group to make an exit from the beach- right through the tanks.

Offline KJAM

• Contributing Member
  • Why Me, Whats it For?
    • Nightstalker mod
« Reply #12 on: 30 Jul 2003, 18:51:01 »
oooooooh dont forget the fact that it was delayed till the next day cuz of bad weather (the landings were june 6th werent they........if i did managed to remember the date right lol it was supposed to be launched on the 5th, or whatever date was before the Dday, if i got em wrong ......eeh i just aint slept for a few days lol

R.Y.A.N.

« Reply #13 on: 30 Jul 2003, 18:57:44 »
Well, you are correct, the invasion was not intended for the 6th initially, the date was changed more than once and the 6th was a gamble because bad weather might have moved in- but I am having trouble seeing how a simple one day, week, or month change in the date would change the situation tactically on the beachhead, without seriously considering in depth research into what the Germans or allies could or could not have accomplished given the extra time to plan or make defenses. ???

m21man

« Reply #14 on: 30 Jul 2003, 19:25:22 »
...the place where Germans killed thousands of American's...

??? ??? ???

According to D-Day (Stephen Ambrose), the Germans inflicted 187 casualties (KIAs and WIAs) on the 4th Division. Most of the 187 are WIAs.