Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ballistic Addon Studios Update Thread  (Read 193385 times)

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:Ballistic Addon Studios Update Thread
« Reply #1140 on: 08 Nov 2003, 19:41:23 »
I think the needs of the community would be best served if people took no notice of rumours.

In the end that is all they are, and they only serve to spread disharmony and mistrust.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

Offline Pathy

• Former Staff
  • I'm not a F***in llama!
    • Volcbat.
« Reply #1141 on: 08 Nov 2003, 19:47:42 »
Umm its not just that rumor. But, im not in the buisness of all out war on BAS, they do some quite good stuff, their attitude just annoys me (and alot of other addon makers) from time to time. Like the "we'll publish your addons for you if they are good enough" policy, which is really "we'll nick your addons and put our name to them so we get the recognition for them", and you cant deny that, as its not exactly hard to publish an addon independantly, so why else would they offer?

Anyway srry, this isnt the place for that duscussion.

Nice work on the island guys, alot of hard work and time went into it, and i have ultimate respect for that.

SoldierX

« Reply #1142 on: 10 Nov 2003, 04:41:09 »
when are you BAS guys gonna release the SEALs and updated rangers/deltas? is it gonna be before thanksgiving or Christmas?

Torak

« Reply #1143 on: 10 Nov 2003, 11:59:50 »
My only real criticism of BAS would be their fondness for Blackhawks. Obviously everyone has their own favourite unit they're championing - I, for instance, would like to see those desert Hummers and things released - but BAS just keep releasing more and more Blackhawks. Don't get me wrong, I like things like the DAP, though my favourite vehicle has to be the BAS Little Birds, but it seems that there's a new Blackhawk being released every couple of weeks, with no significant difference between the models.

I like the idea of releasing a full set of Blackhawks and whatnot, and it obviously makes sense from a production point of view, but personally I'd prefer to see a bit of variation in their output. Why not put the hawks on the back burner and release the Hummers, or the Land Rovers or something?

The other thing that disappoints me is that the MH-47E (Cargo) doesn't support the other BAS vehicles; it seems that it can only carry BIS jeeps, while I'd certainly consider it useful to be able to carry, say, a UAZ for coverrt insurgency missions. Or maybe suspending a BRDM or something.

calm_terror

« Reply #1144 on: 10 Nov 2003, 14:55:56 »
yeha the cargo ch47E also should be able to carry alot more slung under nether it

Torak

« Reply #1145 on: 10 Nov 2003, 16:36:18 »
Agreed; obviously we can't expect them to code in support for all the vehicles out there, but it's disappointing that they don't support their own vehicles.

Actually, I'd quite like to see some of those open-top Hummers...

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1146 on: 10 Nov 2003, 18:29:16 »
No offense ::) (and please dont take any), but i think BAS are unsupportive of anything that does not increase thier own glory. Why else would they have long ago found a way to decode the BIS models, and not shared it? (that is, if that statement is true, which i cant confirm, BUT, there has been v strong evidence) Thats my main issue with BAS, they are selfish >:(, and only work to thier own ends...other than that, they do fairly good work. :) ;)...pity tonal would fry my processor. :(

ho hum, again, I'll post the same statement in here as I did on the official forums:

here we go, some form of official statement (I suppose)

We have close contacts with FlipeR (from the OFPInternals team) and he has access to P3DEdit, since he helped OFPInternals to write the tool.

This is how we get our MLODs, we cannot have every model, or any model.

The conversions are far from perfect, as far as I know the tool was still in early Alpha stages when development was canceled.

At the stages of development that the Addons community is at now, having such a tool would be a step backwards, not forwards.

I'd just like to finish this statement by saying we [BAS] DO NOT have direct access to this tool, and it takes us a long time to fix the models we do get.

Please DO NOT start emailing us requests for models, as they will simply be ignored, since we cant actually forfil them anyway.

There, now you know all about our apparent "MLOD deal", which is infact just the rumour mill at its best. We DID NOT devise any method of decrypting ODOL models, and therefore it is not ours to give away. FlipeR and OFPInternals came up with the tool, and it was their decision to keep it private.

Umm its not just that rumor. But, im not in the buisness of all out war on BAS, they do some quite good stuff, their attitude just annoys me (and alot of other addon makers) from time to time. Like the "we'll publish your addons for you if they are good enough" policy, which is really "we'll nick your addons and put our name to them so we get the recognition for them", and you cant deny that, as its not exactly hard to publish an addon independantly, so why else would they offer?

That was the original concept of BAS, however, since then we have decided to "abandon" that way of working, for two reasons:

1) To achieve the quality we are looking for the addon often has to be worked on by many people, so it is easier to just be a team of people who make addons.

2) We never got any requests from people for us to publish their work, so we cant publish work that does not exist. To those ends, we simply make our own addons that we want to make. To those ends, I suppose I (or Tigershark) should edit the "we want to be an addon publishing house" part from our website.

We have never "nicked" anybody's work, it has all been our own generic work, or modified BIS work. Any other work we use (i.e. vektorbosens dust scripts) we give full credit and praise to the original authours.

Please get your facts straight before posting such sweeping comments.
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2003, 18:45:02 by DeadMeat »

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1147 on: 10 Nov 2003, 18:41:39 »
when are you BAS guys gonna release the SEALs and updated rangers/deltas? is it gonna be before thanksgiving or Christmas?

You should know by now: NO release dates...

The other thing that disappoints me is that the MH-47E (Cargo) doesn't support the other BAS vehicles; it seems that it can only carry BIS jeeps, while I'd certainly consider it useful to be able to carry, say, a UAZ for coverrt insurgency missions. Or maybe suspending a BRDM or something.

The MH-47E is a Special Operations Helicopter, NOT a workhorse. It is used by the 160TH SOAR for mass insertions of Ranger Teams, their equipment and supplies. It would NOT be used to transport the equipment of other countries, and would rarely be used to transport their soldiers. The fact it does not support our newer addons is for a reason: Because it would NOT support them in real life.

Also, I would like to point out the fact that Tonal was released a long time AFTER the MH-47's, this means the in-built coding for them does not have support for any further vehicle types - hence the reason you cannot use it to transport newer BAS addons.

The MH-47 WILL be updated after the Ranger SOV is released, as this is the primary vehicle which it transports, however, support for any of the vehicles in the OPFOR pack will NOT be added, the MH-47E is NOT a workhorse, the CH-47D IS.

And, at the end of the day, not wanting to sound spiteful or patronising; WE make the addons, so WE make what WE want to make, if that happens to be every variation of the H-60 series, then so be it...

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #1148 on: 10 Nov 2003, 19:31:16 »
Well I hope you guys make every variant of the H-60 inlcuding seahawks would be super :)

futurehornetdriver

« Reply #1149 on: 10 Nov 2003, 19:40:41 »
Well I hope you guys make every variant of the H-60 inlcuding seahawks would be super :)

lol.....

KyleSarnik

« Reply #1150 on: 10 Nov 2003, 20:55:26 »
The MH-47E is a Special Operations Helicopter, NOT a workhorse. It is used by the 160TH SOAR for mass insertions of Ranger Teams, their equipment and supplies. It would NOT be used to transport the equipment of other countries, and would rarely be used to transport their soldiers. The fact it does not support our newer addons is for a reason: Because it would NOT support them in real life.

Yes I agree its pretty stupid to have an MH-47E with UAZs and BRDMs, but I would also like to see it cary more cargo. Maybe something more that you can load into the back (like ammo crates or some other equipment) and not just vehicles.... Cause ammo crates would seem (to me) quite logical to load into the back of any chopper...

And I think what everyone else is looking for (or should be) is a CH-47D with similar cargo scripts... Im guessing that all it would take is a little script editing and perhaps a new config with the under sling cargo scripts built in... Im not making a suggestion directly to you BAS, its simply an idea that would just be... interesting to see on future addons (by anybody) in general... I just can't stand not sharing my thoughts... lol
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2003, 20:56:02 by KyleSarnik »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #1151 on: 10 Nov 2003, 21:00:25 »
There is nothing stopping someone from making their own version of a cargo carrying CH-47D, just like the MH47E.

After all they can use the MLOD model of the CH47D and model it the way they want, to carry the cargo they want it to carry.

Mind you, they may need to use the BAS scripts, with permission of course, or write their own.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

SGT DrakeSavage

« Reply #1152 on: 10 Nov 2003, 21:01:57 »
My only real criticism of BAS would be their fondness for Blackhawks. Obviously everyone has their own favourite unit they're championing - I, for instance, would like to see those desert Hummers and things released - but BAS just keep releasing more and more Blackhawks. Don't get me wrong, I like things like the DAP, though my favourite vehicle has to be the BAS Little Birds, but it seems that there's a new Blackhawk being released every couple of weeks, with no significant difference between the models.

I like the idea of releasing a full set of Blackhawks and whatnot, and it obviously makes sense from a production point of view, but personally I'd prefer to see a bit of variation in their output. Why not put the hawks on the back burner and release the Hummers, or the Land Rovers or something?

Uhh as far as i know they have only released the SOAR blackhawks and no others? Supposedly they are gonna release the Pavehawks soon, but by my counting that only brings the number of blackhawk variants released to a whopping two. And it has been almost 3 months since the SOAR blackhawks were released, not just a few weeks...
« Last Edit: 10 Nov 2003, 21:03:02 by SGT DrakeSavage »

KyleSarnik

« Reply #1153 on: 10 Nov 2003, 21:18:11 »
It apears that the RSOV and CRRC are allready supported by the MH-47E cargo sling script.... Not sure what the CRRC is, but its in there.... And if you want to add the sling abilities to a normal chinook put this in its init:

[this] exec "\BAS_Cargo\helocargo.sqs"

Torak

« Reply #1154 on: 10 Nov 2003, 21:36:14 »
Uhh as far as i know they have only released the SOAR blackhawks and no others? Supposedly they are gonna release the Pavehawks soon, but by my counting that only brings the number of blackhawk variants released to a whopping two. And it has been almost 3 months since the SOAR blackhawks were released, not just a few weeks...

Well, the BAS Blackhawks currently residing in my addons directory are the following (can't remember the prefices, so bear with me):

AH-60 DAP
UH-60K
UH-60L
UH-60M
Plus the ones under "BAS Spec Ops Vehicles" or whatever. They are over-represented, quite frankly.

Yes I agree its pretty stupid to have an MH-47E with UAZs and BRDMs, but I would also like to see it cary more cargo.

How is it stupid? A covert ops unit operating behind enemy lines may well decide to use an OPFOR vehicle, if it is better suited to their purposes. It is rare these days, but certainly not unheard of. And please consider carefully your use of the word "stupid"; put brain in gear before engaging keyboard, as it were.

Agreed, but see my comment above. I'm certainly not talking about transporting other countries' vehicles and personnel, I'm talking about pressing enemy vehicles into service as a sort of disguise.

Also, I would like to point out the fact that Tonal was released a long time AFTER the MH-47's, this means the in-built coding for them does not have support for any further vehicle types - hence the reason you cannot use it to transport newer BAS addons.

Fair enough, and of course completely understandable. It wasn't a complaint, more a disappointment, in the hopes that the next version would remedy it, as you discussed below.

The MH-47 WILL be updated after the Ranger SOV is released, as this is the primary vehicle which it transports, however, support for any of the vehicles in the OPFOR pack will NOT be added, the MH-47E is NOT a workhorse, the CH-47D IS.

And will the CH-47D be making an appearance? Please bear in mind that I'm not talking about a workhorse, I'm talking about insertion of spec ops teams in enemy vehicles, nothing else. What harm is there in adding the option?

And, at the end of the day, not wanting to sound spiteful or patronising; WE make the addons, so WE make what WE want to make, if that happens to be every variation of the H-60 series, then so be it...

To be quite honest, you do sound spiteful and patronising. I know the entire BAS team has been getting a lot of fairly offensive and unfounded flak lately, but I would appreciate it if reasonable and - in my opinion - constructive criticism like mine be answered in the same tone. You have a thread for feedback, so surely it is reasonable to expect feedback, both positive and negative.

My point stands; I am greatly impressed by the quality of the BAS addons, but I have to say I'm getting very tired of more and more Blackhawk variants, few of which seem to differ noticably from any of the others. This is realistic, of course, and the real-life differences between the variants are, of course, hardly noticeable in game terms, but it does fairly little to keep my interest.

We see frequent teasers of upcoming units; "Navy Seals released soon!" "Marfy's Hummers now being developed by BAS!" and so on, but at the end of the day there's just another Blackhawk.

I like Blackhawks; I use them every chance I get in my missions. But it does get tedious.

I'm not asking you to stop making Blackhawks; if you want to produce every H-60 variant known to man, go ahead. I'm just suggesting that my interest - and presumably also others' - would be maintained far better if the H-60 releases were interspersed with some of the other much-touted units. My longing for the Hummer pack is, of course, well-known, and I have heard many cries for the SEALs. And, of course, Land Rovers are always nice (will they come with the full "Pink Panther" weapons fit?).

So please, don't go off in a huff, or give me that sort of half-flippant, half-defensive answer. I'm a great BAS fan, I'm just trying to give you the feedback you obviously want.