Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Ballistic Addon Studios Update Thread  (Read 193439 times)

Torak

Re:Ballistic Addon Studios Update Thread
« Reply #1170 on: 12 Nov 2003, 13:19:09 »
That's certainly a possibility, but at least it would mean people can't complain about a lack of information.

Oh well.

DeLiltMon

« Reply #1171 on: 12 Nov 2003, 13:42:57 »
Unfortunately BAS and a few other mods seem to be damned if they do and damned if they don't when it comes to the amount of information released.
I've seen mods accused of "teasing" the community when they post regular update screenshots by the same people who had previously been moaning about the lack of updates and screenshots  ::)
It seems to me that on some forums (thankfully not on here) there is a group of people who want everything yesterday and seemingly only for the purpose of finding faults with it. Faced with this day in day out I can understand why BAS would get fed up with it, personally I think they deal with it very well, I'm not sure I would have after all this time and I'm sure there have been days when they've asked themselves "Why the hell am I doing this?".
As an addon maker myself I have an idea of the amount of time and effort that is required to produce an addon of any quality, let alone ones of BAS quality with all the additional features in them, I've been working on my British Land Rovers for about a year now, in between work and having some form of life and I have to admit that it is the quality of BAS's work that has inspired me to produce the highest quality that I can. In fact you could say that it is thanks to BAS that the people I work with think I'm a military obsesses nut with a lifetime subscription to Guns and Ammo as nearly everytime they glance at my screen when I'm on the net I'm either looking at OPF sites or looking for reference pictures of British Army Land Rovers  :P
Now I'm not getting at anyone in particular here, it just seems to me that lately the "they never tell us anything" crowd as Torak calls them (good name for them btw  :)) have been particulary vocal and I'm just getting fed up of reading "When is X going to be released?".
I just wish that just once they would try to make an addon themselves and I mean have a propper go, not just download O2 take one look at it and say "This is too hard" and then give up, then maybe they'd have a greater appreciation for what they are getting from teams like BAS. Before I decided to try making an addon for OPF I'd never done any form of addon makind or 3d modeling and it was thanks to the support of DeadMeat (and the squad I play MP with, far too infrequently these days, who are still waiting patiently for a Land Rover to race about in) in those early days that I've stuck at it as long as I have.
Anyway I'll get off my soap box now and finish by saying BAS have made and no doubt will continue to make high quality addons, the Pavehawk is looking great and whilst it may not be what I'm most eagerly awaiting (all H-60 series choppers tend to look the same after SuperFly has ploughed it into a hill  :P ;D) I'll still be downloading it along with anything BAS produce.  8)

Torak

« Reply #1172 on: 12 Nov 2003, 14:44:42 »
Hear hear!

I'm ever so slowly trying to teach myself to make addons - without much luck (I can work 3DS Max fairly well, but I just can't get my head around actually making addons) - for Operation White Night, but so far I've mainly been fixing the other guys' English... Anyone who can churn out as consistently good addons as BAS deserves all the praise they get - it's just a shame that the jealousy mob are so vocal as to affect the modders' responses to everyone else.

I look forward to seeing what they're going to do with the Pave Hawks...

DeLiltMon

« Reply #1173 on: 12 Nov 2003, 16:26:28 »
Stick at it, addon making can be frustrating and time consuming but strangely rewarding, there's nothing quite like seeing something in-game and thinking "I made that"  :D

Mr_Shady

« Reply #1174 on: 12 Nov 2003, 16:59:36 »
Good point Lilty mate, but it didn't warrant three posts  :P

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1175 on: 12 Nov 2003, 17:21:44 »
it's just a shame that the jealousy mob are so vocal as to affect the modders' responses to everyone else.

As the saying goes:

"Its allways the minority that spoils it for the majority"

Yippyfn

« Reply #1176 on: 12 Nov 2003, 17:32:11 »
I just want to say that I don't care what BAS is making, it will be good and I'll download it. Keep up the good work BAS.

DeLiltMon

« Reply #1177 on: 12 Nov 2003, 18:21:39 »
Good point Lilty mate, but it didn't warrant three posts  :P

I only clicked post once  ::)

*Edit extra posts removed
*Wanders off muttering about the internet connection in work
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2003, 18:24:27 by DeLiltMon »

Cpt. FrostBite

« Reply #1178 on: 12 Nov 2003, 18:44:45 »
wrong; it's allways the minority (brave addon makers like the BAS guys) that make good stuff for the majority  ;)
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2003, 18:44:59 by Cpt. FrostBite »

Torak

« Reply #1179 on: 12 Nov 2003, 22:01:01 »
Stick at it, addon making can be frustrating and time consuming but strangely rewarding, there's nothing quite like seeing something in-game and thinking "I made that"  :D

I can imagine!

At the moment, though, I'm concentrating on a 3D model of a gun mechanism I'm going to patent... (If anyone can tell me how to make individual parts interact in 3DS Max, please send me a PM, I need all the help I can get!)

I think I'll try to learn scripting first, though.

As the saying goes:

Spot on! Anyway, here's to BAS and their models!

(EDIT: There/their. Aaargh, how did that get past the ocularis editorialis?)
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2003, 22:01:42 by Torak »

ofpeditor

« Reply #1180 on: 13 Nov 2003, 06:49:33 »
Lilty, Torak - thank you for the kind words...good to know people out there understand and appreciate the effort the rest of the team puts in.

I heard somewhere that screenshots are morphine for the community...hope these quell your cries for the moment;

...as always, no release dates, no questions, you'll find out soon enough...

Cheers
ofpeditor

futurehornetdriver

« Reply #1181 on: 13 Nov 2003, 07:53:34 »
ohhh I can see it now...a downed pilot in the ofp world is just about to lose hope when over the horizon he sees a BAS pavehawk coming in covered by A-10s....  ;D

DeLiltMon

« Reply #1182 on: 13 Nov 2003, 09:41:02 »
Mmmm morphine, looking better with every screenshot  8)
Are those the new Rangers by any chance?

Torak

« Reply #1183 on: 13 Nov 2003, 10:05:23 »
Excuse me a moment, I've got to get a mop... drooling all over the floor. ;D

What special features can we expect, compared to the Blackhawks?

Any progress on getting both door guns working, or is that still the insurmountable obstacle it always was?

DeadMeatXM2

« Reply #1184 on: 13 Nov 2003, 11:16:42 »
New rangers, yes.

Door guns, no - its not gonna happen until OFP2 I'm afraid...

Features, a lot are still under development, so no info atm ;)