Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SR47 and SR74 rifles  (Read 5477 times)

earl_laamanen

SR47 and SR74 rifles
« on: 24 Dec 2002, 09:20:08 »
It's time I get out of the 3D Models forums, because the rifles are finally complete addons!  I've released the SR47 and SR74 with ACOG as a beta release for now.

You can grab it from my website:
http://www.baconbomb.com/modworks

I think they are pretty much complete, farther along than most beta releases anyway.  All that I've left out for these rifles is new sounds (I'll get to that when I return home) and possibly new subsonic ammo for more covert missions.

There will eventually be versions with the Aimpoint as well.  Since I am using the BIS AK mags for these rifles, I don't think I can change the AI's response to gunfire.  That means the suppressor does nothing, so there would be no point in making unsuppressed versions of the rifles.

Offline eisa01

• OFPEC Patron
  • I'm a llama!
Re:SR47 and SR74 rifles
« Reply #1 on: 24 Dec 2002, 15:28:21 »
really good work earl  :D !! it looks amazing even on my crappy 733 mhz computer!!

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #2 on: 24 Dec 2002, 22:17:25 »
Beautiful work earl! I'm so glad you noticed my request for these! I'm simply unworthy of such fine gifts this Christmas.
Thanks soooooo much!!!!

earl_laamanen

« Reply #3 on: 24 Dec 2002, 22:51:10 »
I have to thank you for the idea.  It's an original and exciting weapon.

It also worked out well that I had a relatively small project to begin with - figure out the details of OFP modding.  I think I would have been overwhelmed if I had tried to embark on my Russian small arms addon.

I did forget to give credit to people who helped me along the way in the readme file,

NoRSu and Skaven helped me with the weapon configs, and AKM74 helped out with some basic O2 info to get me started.  Uziyahu and AKM74 both pressured me to make weapons for OFP, which is why I started working with OFP in the first place.

Dkraver

« Reply #4 on: 25 Dec 2002, 22:04:47 »
Great piece of work. Really like the way you made the aiming. Also looking forward to the aimpoint version.

I think I would have been overwhelmed if I had tried to embark on my Russian small arms addon.
Is this still something you are going to work on or have you cancelled that idea??

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #5 on: 26 Dec 2002, 02:04:48 »
Exposing my ignorance...

How do I use this weapon sight?? Dumbass here is used to a pointer and range drum...
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2002, 02:07:28 by woofer »

earl_laamanen

« Reply #6 on: 26 Dec 2002, 04:44:08 »
How do I use this weapon sight?? Dumbass here is used to a pointer and range drum...

Erm, the sight isn't really calibrated, so the numbers and gradations on the vertical crosshairs aren't functional.  I'll probably have to reduce the zoom of the weapon, because the AK47 is far too deadly with a true 4x zoom.  I'm getting easy kills at 400m, flat trajectory, which can't be realistic.  I'm stuck using the BIS AK ammo and ballistics, because that was the whole purpose of this weapon - to have the ability to collect enemy AK ammo.

Dkraver:  I'm definitely going to be working on the Russian weapons addon.  All I meant by that is the SR-47 project was a good introduction to Flashpoint for me.  Now I have a good foundation to start working on the Russian weapons.

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #7 on: 26 Dec 2002, 12:20:19 »
Erm, the sight isn't really calibrated, so the numbers and gradations on the vertical crosshairs aren't functional.

Accepted. But how do you use it in the real world?

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #8 on: 27 Dec 2002, 01:38:58 »
Woofer, I'm not sure what you mean mate? I haven't much used the SR-47, as I've been having such great fun with the SR-74. But, I simply line up the target in the crosshairs and, squeeze the trigger. I'm finding it fires very flat, but the muzzle climbs quite a bit after the first round.  

earl_laamanen

« Reply #9 on: 27 Dec 2002, 03:37:17 »
I'm not sure how to address the AK ballistics problem.  They really seem to fire perfectly flat.  I guess BIS never expected to have a rifle with good optics firing that ammo.

I have a few options:

1.  Lower the magnification of the ACOG to make the weapon less accurate, because right now it's WAY too good (but lots of fun).

2.  Leave the scope setting as-is, and create new AK ammo types, which would be used with my upcoming Russian small arms addon.

I like the idea of using BIS ammo, it seems more simple.  But since I am planning to create new AK-74s and AK-47s anyway, I just have to update the SR-47 addon with the proper config and readme info.

Anyway, woofer, I believe you are asking how the scope is used in real life, as it has a fairly unique reticule design.

There's 6 marks from center to the bottom post, and referring to the numbers beside them (the 4 and 6), I assume is meant for aiming to 0, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 (m or yds?).

Those account for the trajectory of the bullet (which would normally be 5.56x45mm).  As I said, the AK ammo isn't realistic so those marks aren't meaningful in-game.

Since the scope is intended for assault rifles and carbines, you can expect that the operator may be facing some CQB situations.  I think the torso silhouette on the scope is meant to help the operator quickly find the center of mass on a close-range target.  Get the shape around your target and you are guaranteed to get a shot into the vitals.

I tried to size the reticule so that shape would be useful against targets that are about 10-20m away, good for CQB in the small cities of OFP.

.357 SIG

« Reply #10 on: 27 Dec 2002, 13:19:32 »
I guess the best solution would be to release 2 versions of your excellent SR 47/74 rifles. One that uses default BIS AK  ammo  (regardless the issues connected with the BIS ballistics) and the second that would be compatibile with your upcomming Russian weapons.

Note that many people simply dislike any addon depencies (although i'm pretty sure that i'd be downloading both versions  ;D ).

Skaven

« Reply #11 on: 27 Dec 2002, 13:31:24 »
That would be a waste of addons, you just have to make one that accepts both custom ammo and the BIS Ak74 mags ;)

As for the sight well I like it a lot, don't know what you wanna change it in, but if you change just change for better, because so far is perfect.
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2002, 13:32:48 by Skaven »

.357 SIG

« Reply #12 on: 27 Dec 2002, 14:52:44 »
That would be a waste of addons, you just have to make one that accepts both custom ammo and the BIS Ak74 mags

Yes, but when having an other addon's magazine entry in a cpp file, doesn't this addon have to be installed?  
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2002, 14:54:15 by .357 SIG »

Skaven

« Reply #13 on: 27 Dec 2002, 15:38:19 »
Let's say I want to have one weapon firing the AK47mag,AK74mag,G3amag and a custom made mag, well I can declare all of that in the weapon's cpp file I want to make.
Now if you want to use mags not from BIS, than yes you need to have them in your addons folder, but from what I got, earl wants to make a weapon using the BIS AK74 mags and his own custom ones, for that he only as do declare it in the cpp file, no need to make more than one weapon for that.
Or it uses the AK74 mags from the game, or it uses the one declared in the same cpp file the weapon is, so no need for more than one  :-\

asmodeus

« Reply #14 on: 27 Dec 2002, 16:05:04 »
Great work earl!  :thumbsup:

I've been watching your progress and you are doing an excellent job!   ;D  

I love the fact that you are doing badly needed Russian weapons too.  Which brings me to a stupid question.  (gotta ask)

I know this is beta, so that might be the answer.  But these are Russian weapons right?  Because I was trying to find the soldiers w/your weapons in my East soldiers area for awhile!   :o   ;)    ;D  

[edit}  Uhhh.. Nevermind.  I'll blame this one on me being realllly tired!   ;)  Just checked your site and used my eyes!   :o  {edit]   ::)    ;D

Anyway, I look forward to the sound effect update and any further additions you make to this and future projects!   ;D

Asmo
« Last Edit: 27 Dec 2002, 16:09:58 by Asmodeus »