Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SR47 and SR74 rifles  (Read 5424 times)

earl_laamanen

Re:SR47 and SR74 rifles
« Reply #15 on: 28 Dec 2002, 01:11:53 »
@.357 SIG:  I like Skaven's solution.  What it means is that I write a config that *allows* other mag types, but it doesn't matter if you have that extra addon or not.  As a player, if you never find one of those mags on the ground anywhere, you just never get to use it.

The only danger is if someone makes a mission that strips the regular issue ammo from the unit and deliberately scripts in the new AK74 or AK47 ammo that I will make.  Then when you start the game, it will try to find the addon with that ammo.

@Asmodeus:  Yeah, I've got a reputation for making Russian weapons, so I don't usually bother competing with everyone that's making American weapons.  An American gun that fires Russian ammo is about as close as I like to get!!!  ;D

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #16 on: 28 Dec 2002, 01:18:38 »
An American gun that fires Russian ammo is about as close as I like to get!!!  

Go for it. There are far more NATO weapon addons than WARPAC shooters available. The detail on your SR47/74 puts a lot of those to shame.

Nice work

earl_laamanen

« Reply #17 on: 28 Dec 2002, 04:54:49 »
I intend to!

First, I need to tie up some loose ends with some Ghost Recon mods, but I'm really excited about modeling my favourite Russian weapons with lots of details.

I've been taking a break from 3dstudio for a few days, just doing some painting in Photoshop.  Here's a work-in-progress painting that I will eventually use for the header of my 'Russian small arms' addon:

Kretchet operative firing GP25
AK74M only
AK74M detail

It's based of this reference:
Kretchet Reference

It's all hand (mouse) painted over a pencil sketch, nothing is taken directly from photos.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2002, 05:00:39 by earl. »

suchey

« Reply #18 on: 28 Dec 2002, 09:43:55 »
cant wait!  Finally some very high quality russian weapons will be available!

CrunchyFrog

« Reply #19 on: 29 Dec 2002, 05:53:53 »
Why is the AK-74M red?

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #20 on: 29 Dec 2002, 06:23:51 »
red ???
Well I don't see any red m8 ;D

earl_laamanen

« Reply #21 on: 29 Dec 2002, 07:51:53 »
Why is the AK-74M red?

Because that's the way Russia builds them.  In many of the good quality colour photos I have, there is a reddish hue to the handguard, and many of the magazines are 'plum'.  I realize there are some with completely black parts, but the colour adds a little life to the image.  Before I call it "done" it would be matched more carefully to the photo references I have (darken and desaturate).

Here are some examples for you Crunchy Frog.

AK74M handguard and mag
Russian 'plum' mag
Ref 1
Ref 2
Ref 3
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2002, 07:58:34 by earl. »

BoNeCoLLeCToR

« Reply #22 on: 29 Dec 2002, 08:23:06 »
It would be nice if you make this soldier model too
http://www.baconbomb.com/modworks/images/gr_weapon_modeling/2_ak74m_ref2.jpg
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2002, 08:23:58 by BoNeCoLLeCToR »

TkKivi

« Reply #23 on: 29 Dec 2002, 08:56:56 »
Earl, frankly... do we have proper made Russian federation army soldiers, i know UCEƂ's but, they are only re-textures.
We need the bloody models!  ;)

earl_laamanen

« Reply #24 on: 29 Dec 2002, 10:54:23 »
I have plans to do some soldier models, but I have no idea how to export character models into OFP yet.

Is it very easy?  Or do you need to go through the binding process?

If there's any info or tutorials on the subject, please point me in the right direction.  I don't have time to work on it at the moment, but I'd like to start learning about it.

What we really need is a new run animation.  I'd hate to subject my poor soldier models to that wiggle-run.

earl_laamanen

« Reply #25 on: 29 Dec 2002, 19:48:35 »
Anyway - About the SR47... here's an interesting piece of info that will affect my plans for the completed addon:

The muzzle compensator is a KAC replacement, so that the Quick Detachable (QD) Sound Suppressor can be mounted. The KAC QD Suppressor is 6.6" long and weighs 24 ounces. It reduces the noise of the fired round by a minimum of 28 decibels using ball ammunition. Sub sonic ammunition is also in the system and is more efficient in masking the noise of the shot, but will not cycle the action.

That is written about the standard M4, but I would think it applies to SR-47 and 74.  That would be a rather interesting tradeoff to have a silenced assault rifle.
« Last Edit: 29 Dec 2002, 19:50:52 by earl. »

Dkraver

« Reply #26 on: 30 Dec 2002, 01:21:10 »
A thing you could do about the silencer thing is something like lost brothers did on their SAS G36 in the hk pack part two. I dont know exactly how it works but i think its something like this.
They have two weapon models. One with and one without the silencer on. Then they have the one with out silencer use normal mags (in your case the AK47 or AK74 mag or which other mags you want it to fire) and the silence version use the silenced ammo mag. Then when you change mag type from the lower right corner pop up menu the weapon models change depending on which mag type your are using. So when you have the silenced mag on there's a silencer on the weapon, and when you use a normal mag there's a muzzle break (or what its called not sure on the english word for it  :) )
Here's a link to the page if you dont already know it
http://lostbrothers.ofpmatch.com/
Think you need both part 1 and 2 to see how it looks in game.
Hope its something you can use.

earl_laamanen

« Reply #27 on: 30 Dec 2002, 20:39:04 »
I'm not going to make unsuppressed versions.  Here's what Knight's Armament themselves had to say about the effect of the QD suppressor on regular ammo:

The Muzzle flash is completely eliminated.  The sound of the weapon firing is greatly reduced.  You are left with the supersonic crack of the bullet traveling above the speed of sound.  This is a non directional sound and coupled with the flash suppresion can confuse the enemy as to the direction the attack is coming from.

If I made a new ammo type that properly reflected this, then I would lose the ability to pick up enemy ammo, which I'm not willing to do.  I think in the end, I will have the weapons use regular BIS ammo, my new AK ammo, and subsonic ammo if I can make that weapon type work like a bolt action rifle (single shot, manual cycle).

So - for regular BIS ammo, at least the muzzle flash is eliminated by the QD suppressor.  The only compromise is that it will still make the shooter as detectible to AI as firing an AK-47/74.  The ability to carry a few mags of subsonic ammo should make up for that.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #28 on: 30 Dec 2002, 20:46:08 »
Obviously, the standard suppressor would be able to be removed, for various reasons. But the company that produces the SR-47, intended for the weapon to ust the KAC supressor, and so they ship the rifle with the supressor installed. The purpose of the suppressor has more to do with the intended use of the weapon, the SR-47 is a cave-fighting/CQB special applications weapon, than masking the shooters position. It's said to be unbearably loud to fire the SR-47 in an enclosed space without the suppressor in place. So it's more to do with the shooter's comfort level and accuracy, than stealthy long-range guard plinking. As I understand it, the weapon wouldn't be completely silenced anyway, as it's meant to use standard ball, ie. supersonic ammunition.
From an operational standpoint, that is,  the way I've used it in-game, stealth never really comes into play. I just use it up close and mow-down everything, at full auto. The ability to use battlefield pickup magazines from the enemy, means I can hose down anything that moves, without much thought to how much ammo I use. Sure they can hear me, but I don't really care, as I can just hunker down in an ambush position, and blast whatever runs into view. I'll just stop from time to time to pick-up some magazines, and then start the music again.  

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #29 on: 30 Dec 2002, 21:42:19 »
Eureka!!! I've just had a thought...
Would it not be possible, at least in theory, anyway, to be able to use RPK large-capacity magazines in the SR-47/74's? Understandably, one would need to have a bipod fitted to the weapon, but thats no problem for the M-16/M-4 family.
But even cooler yet, take it a step further. How about an M-249 SPW, that can use belted Russian 7.62 ammunition.
Obviously, there's got to be as much of this ammo to be found with the enemy as the assault rifle ammo, right?
I can imagine if Task Force Ranger, and the attached Delta squadron had the SR-47's, SR-47/74RPK's and SR-PKM-249's ( Cool name even, huh? ) during the "Battle of the Black Sea" BHD event, the outcome may have been MUCH different.