Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: SR47 and SR74 rifles  (Read 5423 times)

earl_laamanen

Re:SR47 and SR74 rifles
« Reply #30 on: 31 Dec 2002, 07:26:59 »
RPK/PKM is a cool idea, but I think I'm going to stick with the SR47/74.  The former exists in very small numbers, and the latter was a real possibility.

As for 45rnd mags, I'd like to make them interchangeable... except it's a shame that the ballistics data is attached to the mags - because a 45 rnd mag of 5.45x39mm in an RPK is going to have very different terminal ballistics from a 45rnd mag in an AKS-74U.  I don't want my RPKs to have the same characteristics as the AK-74, otherwise they are pointless.  If I make the RPK more accurate as it should be, then that means players would favour the 45 rnd mags for better accuracy and greater damage at longer ranges.

I want to keep things as balanced as possible, so I'll have to pass on the idea of making 30rnd, 45rnd, and even 90rnd drums interchangeable.  :'(

Hang on a sec - the AKS-74U's currently in OFP use AK-74 mags, don't they?  Does that mean they have every benefit of a long rifle?

Snakeshift

« Reply #31 on: 31 Dec 2002, 08:15:29 »
yeah, kinda unrealilistic huh?

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #32 on: 31 Dec 2002, 19:31:40 »
Well isn't that what the dispersion, and init. velocity line in the config of the weapon are supposed to adress?

I've been killed recently with a AK-74U, at a range of about two-hundred meters. The tank crewman that shot me had probably capped off at least half the mag before he got me. As I was lying prone between two low hills, slightly above the badguy, and took the round to the head, it didn't seem overly unrealistic. He knew where I was, he'd targeted my head, and was emptying his mag at me full-tilt boogie. I just chalked it up to being exposed just enough, for long-enough, to catch a lucky round in my brain box, and it sucked, but that's war.... Hell, I'd been stacking his buddies like cord-wood all day, and raping their corpses for ammo... That's got to be bad for the Karma.

earl_laamanen

« Reply #33 on: 31 Dec 2002, 20:02:33 »
Well isn't that what the dispersion, and init. velocity line in the config of the weapon are supposed to adress?

Well, I haven't learned too much about config files yet, but I think the dispersion/initial velocity info is given for a specific ammo type, not specific weapons.

If that's true, it means there's no advantage to having an AK-74 over an AKS-74U.  And that's simply not correct.

A strange idea came to me yesterday - I think it would have to be carryied out in the mission script rather than the weapon config.

Suppose I make a 5.45x39mm ammo type for each rifle length (Compact/AKS74U, Carbine/AK105, Long Rifle/AK74, Squad Automatic/RPK74).  Now, whenever you go to pick up this ammo from an enemy, the script would check your weapon type, and immediately remove and replace that mag with the appropriate mag.

The if you die with an AKS74U, and your teammate has an AK74, he can show up and take your ammo, but the mags will be converted to AK74 ammo.

Can any scripters offer some feedback?  It's the only way I can think of to have interchangeable ammo *and* proper ballistics.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #34 on: 31 Dec 2002, 20:41:26 »
No, earl. I'm fairly certain that those attributes are in the weaponconfig section of the .cpp file. I know because I've adjusted them for many weapons in game. Now, the problem lies with BIS's stock weapons, you'd have to adjust the .bin entry of the AKS-74U. There's tools to do it, to be found here at OFPEC. One I know of is OFPManager, a fairly powerful proggie, it allows you to edit the .bin files. But If you change these files I think it would cause serious problems for upcoming updates and patches from BIS. The patches usually look for the standard addons from BIS, and, if it can't find them, won't allow a patch. This means you'd have to create a customized OFP installation, as well as a standard install. Change the .bin data, in your customized installation, patch the other, and then copy your customized .bin to the standard install... as you can see it could get a bit confusing unless you just love to meander through OFP's guts and fiddle with things as I do.
« Last Edit: 31 Dec 2002, 20:48:08 by Ferret Fangs »

earl_laamanen

« Reply #35 on: 31 Dec 2002, 22:26:48 »
I hope you're right.  That would make sense - I find it hard to believe that BIS would spend all that time making a realistic combat game, then ignore the differences between weapons.  Thanks.

Eviscerator

« Reply #36 on: 01 Jan 2003, 13:43:00 »
dispersion/recoil/initial velocity are definately addressed in the weapon config, but at the minute these are not changed from the normal AK-74 in the AK-74SU, all that is changed is the model

NoRSu

« Reply #37 on: 01 Jan 2003, 18:23:25 »
I have plans to do some soldier models, but I have no idea how to export character models into OFP yet.

You can open all p3d-files in Oxygen that came with the first OFP demo (v0.36). It has also few soldier models that can be edited.

To make things easier I can send the soldier models to you if you want them 8).

earl_laamanen

« Reply #38 on: 02 Jan 2003, 03:40:12 »
NoRSu, please do - I'd like to take a look at them.

Are there any bones, or are the parts just grouped with names the same way as weapons are grouped as Zasleh and Zbran?  Oh, I'll see when you send them - I hope it's easy to mess with, I've got some ideas..

NoRSu

« Reply #39 on: 02 Jan 2003, 20:33:14 »
Check your mail (hope it went through) ;).

Mr_Shady

« Reply #40 on: 05 Jan 2003, 21:26:13 »
I think that the AK74SU and AK74 do perform differently, as I can handle the full-length AK on automatic with ease (in fact I prefer it over the Armalite, due to the automatic setting and the fact that it confuses the guys playing as Russians online when sneaky ol' Kooky's been knocking off their mates with his silenced Glock 17 then suddenly hoses them down with AK fire... they never do get their heads around that little trick  ;)).

If I'm close in, about fifty metres, stood up with my AK, I can usually get a kill against any target in about four or five rounds, whether he's prone, kneeling, stood or running away from me. Now when I use the SU, the bloody thing shakes around too much and I have to use about ten to fifteen rounds to drop him.

I'd be great to be able to stick an RPK mag on the SR, it be handy for when you need to lay fire down or can't get to any AK mags thanks to the bastard snipers  :)

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #41 on: 06 Jan 2003, 06:35:43 »
I FINALY got the SR47/74 last night and for a Beta, it's one of the best Damned addons I've ever seen, like in preveious post's I think it's a little bit TOO accurate, but the 47 should be more accurate than the 74 due to the caliber of the bullet, the scope looks great! but the out side is zoomed and it looks a little weird, but I'm sure this is the allmighty Game Engine  ::)
four and a half stars out of five!

earl_laamanen

« Reply #42 on: 06 Jan 2003, 07:42:47 »
Thanks PunkerSXDX.  You're right about the outside of the scope, as CrunchyFrog mentioned in another thread.  I probably should have left it black, but I decided to use a bit of artistic license, I like the look of the scope's outline.

The original idea should be applied to sights with low or no zoom, like the Trijicon reflex sight, and Aimpoint C68 CCO.  (Is the aimpoint 1x or 2x?  I know 2x is at least an available option).  Anyway, the idea is that those sights are supposed to be used with both eyes open, it's not like a sniping scope.  Leaving the outside of the scope visible means that you have a bit more situational awareness.  The ACOG is a 4x scope, I shouldn't have make the exterior visible - I just wanted to try the idea and I liked the way it looked.  

I'll probably change it before final release.  That will give the Aimpoint a definite benefit over the ACOG.

Also, I've been informed that the ACOG reticule doesn't have the torso outline.  I took the image from the trijicon website, but the torso outline is just there as a target.  That will be removed for the final release.

Kooky, I think you're right.  I was told that ballistics values are attached to magazines, but it seems there's some extra values that are weapon-specific (dispersion).  I'm still too lazy to go look for myself, but when I get around to my Russian weapons, I'll be sure to figure it all out.

Mr_Shady

« Reply #43 on: 06 Jan 2003, 19:46:33 »
Dammit Earl, you know I'm right  ;)

Actually, I was getting worried that I was just no good with the SU. Thanks for dispelling that for me, I'll get back to striking fear into the hearts of the dreaded L337-5p34k0x or whatever they call themselves nowadays  ;D

Eviscerator

« Reply #44 on: 06 Jan 2003, 19:55:38 »
actually, you are just bad with the SU, there are extra values, they just arent changed from the Ak to the SU:
class AK74: Riffle
   {
      //--
      scopeWeapon = public;
      scopeMagazine = public;

valueWeapon = 0;
      valueMagazine = 1;

model="AK_74_proxy";
      modelOptics="optika_ak47";
      optics = true;
      opticsZoomMin=0.35; //was 0.21
      opticsZoomMax=0.35;

displayName = $STR_DN_AK74;
      displayNameMagazine = $STR_MN_AK74;
      shortNameMagazine = $STR_SN_AK74;
      drySound[]={"weapons\AK74Dry",db0,1};   // empty magazine
      modes[] = {Single, Burst, FullAuto};
      class Single
      {
         ammo = BulletSingleE;
         multiplier = 1;
         burst=1;
         displayName = $STR_DN_AK74;
         dispersion=0.0002;
         sound[]={"Weapons\AK74Single",db0,1};
         soundContinuous=false;
         reloadTime=0.10;
         ffCount=1;
         recoil=riffleSingle;
         autoFire = false;
         aiRateOfFire=5.0; // delay between shots at given distance
         aiRateOfFireDistance=500; // at shorter distance delay goes lineary to zero

useAction = false;
         useActionTitle = "";
      };
      class Burst
      {
         ammo = BulletBurstE;
         multiplier=1;
         burst=3;
         displayName=$STR_DN_AK74_BURST;
         dispersion=0.0004;
         sound[]={"Weapons\AK74Burst",db0,1};
         //sound[]={"",db0,1};
         soundContinuous=false;
         reloadTime=0.1;
         ffCount=3;
         recoil=riffleBurst3;
         autoFire = false;

useAction = false;
         useActionTitle = "";
      };
      class FullAuto
      {
         ammo = BulletFullAutoE;
         multiplier=1;
         burst=1;
         displayName=$STR_DN_AK74_AUTO;
         dispersion=0.0008;
         sound[]={"Weapons\AK74Single",db0,1};
         soundContinuous=false;
         reloadTime=0.1;
         ffCount=30;
         recoil=riffleBurst3;
         autoFire = true;

useAction = false;
         useActionTitle = "";
      };
   };

class AK74SU: AK74 (<--- this means it inherits all the attributes from the AK-74, below is what it adds/changes/repeats)
   {
      //--
      scopeWeapon = public;
      scopeMagazine = private;

model="AK_74_SU_proxy";
      modelOptics="optika_ak47";
      optics = true;
      opticsZoomMin=0.35; //was 0.21
      opticsZoomMax=0.35;

valueWeapon = 1;
      valueMagazine = 1;

displayName=$STR_DN_AK74_SU;