Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: modern USMC weapons  (Read 11774 times)

earl_laamanen

modern USMC weapons
« on: 01 Feb 2003, 23:25:32 »
in another thread crunchyfrog said:

Can't we get just one decent M16 with some accesories?

Suchey from digitalgrenade is working on some amazing USMC marpat soldiers, and has asked me to take care of their weapons.  I'm still not certain how much I will be able to do, but I'm starting with the M16A4 and M203.

I just got Resistance today, so my texturing troubles are solved - I'll be working on this today and should have some better stuff to show soon.  For now, here's the model.  The Reflex sight and M203 are both directly from my Ghost Recon model, so they are a bit low on detail, I'll be improving both of them for 1st person view.  The overall models will be lower in polycount than my SR47 addon, and I haven't heard any complaints about that - so I think 1200 is a good number that lets me put just enough detail into everything.

There's a Knight's Armament's quadrant sight with mini reflex sight on the M203 chassis right now, but I'll probably go with the standard carry-handle quadrant sight for the marines.

PunkerSXDX

Re:modern USMC weapons
« Reply #1 on: 02 Feb 2003, 00:53:04 »
From Ghost Recon huh? well looks good, although the M16a4 doesn't exist as far as I know, the U.S. Army still uses teh M16a2 so I'd Reccomend going for the M16a2 or a3 ;) but get this in OFP, the guns in Ghost Recon are good.

earl_laamanen

« Reply #2 on: 02 Feb 2003, 01:13:47 »
Uh, the M16A5 A6 A7 and A8 don't exist, but the A4 does.   ;)  I didn't just make it up.

STGN

« Reply #3 on: 02 Feb 2003, 01:31:10 »
The US Army also youses the M16A4 its a M16A3 whit a KAC rail and 3 round burst.
It looks good but i think it should look somthing like this:

STGN
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2003, 01:32:41 by STGN »

.357 SIG

« Reply #4 on: 02 Feb 2003, 03:11:20 »
Earl srtikes back into OFP!!
Your weapons from GR Standard Upgrade already looks wonderful in TPP, so i guess FPP they would be just perfect.

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #5 on: 02 Feb 2003, 03:23:20 »
For anyone who hasn't yet seen them, earl's SR-47/74's may be the the best-looking, and most technically accurate small-arms mod in-game. And I've seen some fantastic addons, including Flipers M-4 pack, and the HKmod from Lost Brothers. Earl is a first-rate modeller, with skills far beyond those of mortal modellers...
Can't wait to see more of you work, earl. You're the best, chief!

BAS, you better watch this guy... You could use him!

earl_laamanen

« Reply #6 on: 02 Feb 2003, 03:59:24 »
Gee, thanks guys, I feel like I'm stepping into a boxing ring...  :P

Your weapons from GR Standard Upgrade already looks wonderful in TPP, so i guess FPP they would be just perfect.

Ah, no  ;)  They look great for GR because you are far away from them, but if your looking at them from FPP, they'd be nasty, which is why I've got a crapload of work to upgrade them.

The best part is that I'm just doing the minor details of the addon - the real work is Suchey's marpat marines, they look amazing and he's really taking his time to get every little detail done right:

http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard301/ikonboard.cgi?s=3e3c89887c0cffff;act=ST;f=54;t=26012;st=0
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2003, 04:05:32 by earl. »

BlackDeath

« Reply #7 on: 02 Feb 2003, 04:33:28 »
M16A4 doesnt exist trust me on that.. havent got to shoot it... we do use the m16a3 though has full auto burst and single and has improved accuracy to the m4's standard but i have yet to see this in ofp. Would be nice if there was a pack made for the newest issue one :-)
-BlackDeath
Also if hte A4 does happen to exist it is still in testing as we are now just gettin the m16A3 to everyone :-)
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2003, 04:36:33 by BlackDeath »

earl_laamanen

« Reply #8 on: 02 Feb 2003, 05:02:26 »
Just put "M16A4" in your search engine and see what turns up...

http://www.state.nj.us/military/publications/bulletins/Army_Bulletins/2002/AR-25-02.pdf

http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/assault/m4/m4.htm
(scroll down 3/4 of page)

http://www.infantry.army.mil/infforum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=91

copy and paste this link:
http://www.ausa.org/www/greenbook.nsf/(all)/97D6448573BDA1A985256C410074853A?OpenDocument

Ah, that should be enough.  I'm not in the military, and I'm not even American, but the M16A4 is an actual rifle.  It's an M16A2 with a flattop receiver and accessory rail forend so that it becomes part of the MWS program.
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2003, 08:02:23 by earl. »

BlackDeath

« Reply #9 on: 02 Feb 2003, 06:58:59 »
Well the first link is air and army national guard. thats not the army its a state funded organization they pretty much make up all kinds of things. the other looks like some israeli thing...and I am seriously thinking that someone has just mistaken the m16a3 for the 'm16a4'. As they seemingly have the same features :-) if not then it is a national guard weapon and or another countries modification as that seems to happen alot :-\ or it could possibly be in testing :-) but i could have sworn that we would have the OICW before then and that we wasnt gonna get anymore versions of the m16 after the a3.
Well good luck with your project.
-BlackDeath

PunkerSXDX

« Reply #10 on: 02 Feb 2003, 07:17:42 »
I'm with BlackDeath on that one, but, if you wanna make an M16a4 then go for it!  ;) I refuse to stop you  ;D

earl_laamanen

« Reply #11 on: 02 Feb 2003, 08:26:05 »
You conveniently ignored the last two.

Here's another (you have to copy and paste to browser because of the brackets)
http://www.fbodaily.com/cbd/archive/1998/03(March)/04-Mar-1998/10sol001.htm

Whoops!  Maybe the US Army Armament and Chemical Acquisitions program ordered a fictitious rifle??

M16A4 Rifle is a standard M16A2 Rifle with a flat top upper receiver and detachable carrying handle. The flat top upper receiver has an integral rail that will be utilized (when the carrying handle is removed) to mount optical devices to the weapon. The M16A4 Rifle in combination with the M5 Rail Adapter forms the Modular Weapon System (rifle version) which provide soldiers the flexibility to configure their weapons with those accessories required to fulfill an assigned mission. There are no differences between the internal dimensions of the M16A2 Rifle and the M16A4 Rifle.

So it looks identical to an M16A3, but it fires a 3rd burst, not full auto like the A3, and is intended to be combined with the M5 accessory rail forend.

Let's go over this again:

Flat top receiver
+3-round burst
+M5 accessory rail forend
=============
= M16A4.

Have a look at the Small Arms page of Commodity Business Operations - seems to be the group that purchases and fields weapons for the US Army:

http://tri.army.mil/LC/CS/csi/satoc.htm#M16A2

:-\
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2003, 08:26:59 by earl. »

FatJoe

« Reply #12 on: 02 Feb 2003, 13:29:47 »
Work of art mate..  :o
Teach me how to model like you  :D

Cheers
Joe

Eviscerator

« Reply #13 on: 02 Feb 2003, 13:42:02 »
the M16A3 and A4 indeed do exist, but are they being used? i was told by someone in the US army that the new M16 variants were going against the OICW for the future weapons programme, but they lost. and for the time being most of the US Military is switching to M4 variants, as the M16A3/4 were seen as too expensive for just being able to mount optics on, when a just as accurate weapon (M4) can do the same job, mount optics and be suited for FIBUA, and is also probably cheaper to make, its also cheaper to just mount optics on top of the M16A2 carrying handle than buy a whole new gun, so M16A2's and M4's (as well as M249 and M240G's) would be better marine weapons as even if they do adopt the M16A4 i cant see it being used widely for a long time...
« Last Edit: 02 Feb 2003, 13:46:56 by Eviscerator »

Offline vade_101

• Members
  • oh hell......
« Reply #14 on: 02 Feb 2003, 14:53:49 »
seeing as  this as "hypothetical"/"near-future" addon, the M16a4 is a pretty good choice, especially as there are a whole load of m4s about. at least it adds something new to the mix, and thats a good looking model ;)