Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: A Space-Age Mutter  (Read 4557 times)

scooter24

A Space-Age Mutter
« on: 20 Mar 2005, 16:08:31 »
Hey everyone!
Now, i'm not here to make requests on how to find or build 'space-age' material for Operation Flashpoint. But I am still rather bewildered on how OFPEC cannot accept these products!
     Don't get me wrong, I hate anything futuristic or addons altogether! From Star Wars to Star Trek, i'd rather watch paint dry! But I have to argue a case for people who go to the exact same effort as anyone else to generate products that people might enjoy.
     Let's look at OFPEC's slogun: By the community, for the community. Surely, this should include Space-Age material by one person in the community to another? I'm not being difficult, but that statement either needs to live up to itself or it needs changing.
     If people don't want this genre of addons, you don't have to click "Download". Isn't it like any other field of addon? If you don't like Team Finlanders/Ballastic Addon Studios/Project UK Forces addons, you don't download them! So isn't applying a ban on ultramodern addons resticting freedom of choice and thus discriminating an Operation Flashpoint fan interested in advanced technology?
     We do see missions that include addons that earn 7's, 8's and 9's. Someone might argue that the mission would need a whole host of innovative downloads for the right 'era' to be established. For example, you might need different space-age soldiers with space-age tanks and space-age air units. Take a look at this mission: http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?ID=1150. 68 people have downloaded that mission and all it's addons. You could easily incorporate less space-age downloads into a mission than this one. Enough said.
     I do think OFPEC needs to step out of it's primal age and become a little more broad-minded. Isn't it time for change? After all, we all can decide whether we want this form of addon for a mission, can't we?
Scooter24

PS: If your against this, please don't call me every name under the sun. Think of this as a debate. Not a frenzied arguement!

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
Re:A Space-Age Mutter
« Reply #1 on: 20 Mar 2005, 16:26:26 »
The point is, the site is not against these addons,

If someone is making such addons they will get help and advice on editing aspects related to making them.

However threads devoted to discussing these addons are not permitted.

Making an addon which is realistic and making an addon that is futuristic or fantasy requires the same editing methods and skills, so it is allowed to get advice and help on the editing for such things.  But you cannot discuss the addons themselves in threads devoted to such.

At least that is my interpretation of the rules.

EDIT:  So.......By the community, for the community....still stands

Planck
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2005, 16:29:00 by Planck »
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.

scooter24

« Reply #2 on: 20 Mar 2005, 16:42:38 »
Hey Planck!
Maybe you have misunderstood the rule? Maybe I have? Or maybe this rule isn't displayed clearly enough. But, here are some threads locked because of 'Fantacy' talk:-
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=21450
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=21453
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=13;action=display;threadid=18653
Well, maybe Noon416 doesn't know the rule? Who knows!   ::)
Scooter24

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 20 Mar 2005, 16:49:44 »
I'm sorry scooter, but those threads were discussions about starting sci-fi mods or addons.  Or attempts at recruitment for such.

This is clearly not allowed.

If someone has started making a sci-fi addon and needs help with editing problems it is ok to ask about such problems in the forums.

What is not allowed is to discuss sci-fi or start threads to reruit for sci-fi.

All those threads you listed are discussions or attempts at recruitment.

Planck

scooter24

« Reply #4 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:00:37 »
Hey!
Still, what I don't agree with is the morality of it. Why ban these threads when people can recruit for making addons that are more, 'in our time' but if it's an ultramodern thing we're talking about, BANG(!) it's banned. Why ban these threads if people are allowed to have a discussion on starting 'in our time' mods but (again) if it's sci-fi, BANG(!) your outta here! It hardly seems fair does it?
     There was also a news post about a TO8A2 Arachnida on OFPEC's news source. Doesn't this motivate for more discussions of more sci-fi mods? This is very confusing business.
Scooter24.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2005, 17:01:21 by scooter24 »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #5 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:05:06 »
All space age stuff isn't only banned, but its redirected to the official BIS forums, so there is somewhere for the poster to post his topic.  ;)

Also, Planck is right about 'if they need help with making the addon, its OK'.
For example, this thread.
http://www.ofpec.com/yabbse/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=22614
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:10:22 »
when people can recruit for making addons that are more, 'in our time' but if it's an ultramodern thing we're talking about, BANG(!) it's banned

All recruitment, whether for sci-fi or realistic mods or addons are not allowed.

That is what the Recruitment Depot is for.

Planck

scooter24

« Reply #7 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:12:33 »
Hey greg147!
Don't get me wrong, I am in full support of helping anyone who needs help with anything including sci-fi material! But, it's this morality issue. Is it right we should allow addons that are more present than those that are futuristic? Is it right we should only allow people to recruit and discuss addons that are present than those that are sci-fi?
     Belive it or not, this is actually a form of discrimination! Discrimination against people who like sci-fi stuff (damn i'm a nerd  :D)!
     If you ask me, let people upload sci-fi addons and missions. If you dont want them, don't download them!
Scooter24.

PS: I do hate sci-fi but this just puzzles me!

Edit:-
Hey Planck.
I've seen a few threads that contain "will ya join me 4 dis mod m8ey?" in them. Or are these just a one off?
Scooter24.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2005, 17:14:26 by scooter24 »

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #8 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:16:17 »
No........They usually get locked.

Planck

scooter24

« Reply #9 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:21:18 »
Hey!
Well alls this thread is about is why don't you allow people to upload sci-fi stuff on to the server? After all, you allow them to discuss/recruit fantacy material. You also post  sci-fi material on the news. Doesn't all this encourage more sci-fi locks etc... Or, is this just a yearning to allow these things into the community? Maybe these questions are best answered by an admin but it's always pleasent to here what the common people think :D!
Scooter24.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:28:35 »
The rules have been as they are for many many years.

Sci-Fi news posts in the Intelligence depot are nothing new.

After all, you allow them to discuss/recruit fantacy material.

This is not true discussion of sci-fi is not allowed in the forums, not is recruitment for either sci-fi or realistic mods or addons.

I'm sure there are forums elsewhere, where people can discuss and recruit for sci-fi or addons, so I see no reason to change the rules for this site.

You wouldn't expect a site devoted to football to start including cricket also now would you.   :P

Planck ::)
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2005, 17:29:26 by Planck »

scooter24

« Reply #11 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:33:46 »
Hey!
Lol. Well, no I wouldn't expect a football site to include cricket results (sometimes you see international results though  ???). But why not allow sci-fi addons to be uploaded? You dont have to download anything you don't want, do you? If you don't like it, you can always delete it  8)!
Scooter24

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:40:54 »
Because the addon would not get rated by the reviewers because it is Sci-Fi.

The site is devoted to realistic play.....well.......as realistic as OFP allows.

This argument has been tossed back and forth for years.
And I don't think the site is about to change a policy that has worked very well all this time.

Sci-Fi addons can be downloaded from many other sites, there is no need to have them on this one.

The rules are not about to change, so I really don't think this topic will get anywhere.  The admins have repeatedly said it is  basically ....non-negotiable.

EDIT:  Speeling mistooks

Planck 8)
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2005, 17:46:36 by Planck »

scooter24

« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:51:24 »
Hey!
the addon would not get rated by the reviewers because it is Sci-Fi.
Lol sorry but I don't understand. I'm pretty sure I could review a sci-fi object (such as TO8A2 Arachnida) if asked. After all, all OFPEC's addons are based on quality, realism, example missions/docs and originality (taken from The Rating System, Addons Depot). Okay, so it might not fall under the realism category but this is what The Rating System has to say about Realism:
Realism doesn't mean that the addon is necessarily a real life object or effect but how true to the object / sound etc the addon has come.
I empthesize "doesn't mean that the addon is necessarily real life"  ;).
     Also, i'm not out to change the rules because that would need a huge particion and even then it would probibally be turned down  ::)! But it is something that should be considered espesually if its been brought forward on numerous occations  ;D.
Scooter24.
« Last Edit: 20 Mar 2005, 17:53:48 by scooter24 »

Offline greg147

• Contributing Member
    • Royal Air Assault Battalion
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2005, 17:54:43 »
Just thought of something.

If sci-fi isn't allowed, surely stuff in the past shouldn't be allowed either. I don't mean veitnam or WW2, but are topics on, for example, the American Civil War allowed? Theres even been a few about Medieval fighting and Romans  ::)

Just wondering...  ;)
Royal Air Assault Battalion - [L/Cpl] Greg
RAAB