Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Project MCAR BETA (2.5) - Cars with working guided missiles!  (Read 6812 times)

PsyWarrior

Greetings,

UPDATE: BETA: 3 released!

Psychic Productions is proud to announce the Public BETA release of Project MCAR!

Project MCAR is an attempt by a group of OFP enthusiasts to overcome one of the boundries of OFP editing: The inability to fire any kind of missile from 'Car' class units. MCAR is essentially a very complicated workaround, which simulates a guided missile launch from a vehicle.

From the perspective of the player, he aims his turret at the enemy unit, presses the trigger and a missile launches. It guides itself to the target (even if the target is in motion), hits it, and obliterates it.

The player has no idea what actually happened: He fired a machine gun bullet, which is 'caught' instantly by the scripting system, and removed. A missile is then created (along with particle effects, sound, etc.), and sent on it's way in the direction of fire. The system then checks to see what the player was aiming at, 'locks' onto it, and activates the guidance code to steer the missile to the target. The system instantaneously detects when the missile has hit it's target, explodes it, and the target is annihilated...

The above is one possible scenario. MCAR also works with AIs, with anti-aircraft missiles, and comes with a selection of guidance codes, including: One based on the 9m32 AA missile, one based on the TOW 2A (self guided) and one based on the TOW 2B. We also have another set of guidance codes: The Realistic TOW 2A and TOW 2B, which allows the player/ AI to guide the missile to its target, simply by moving the crosshair. Terrain following missiles are also possible with MCAR, as shown with the standard TOW 2B.

Project MCAR is now Multiplayer Compatible!

Also theoretically possible:
-MCAR with boats: Boats cannot fire missiles either, and there is no reason why MCAR should not work with these too. Untested at present.
-Shells: Also possible, but with much less guidance. Better than an explosive MG bullet, at least. Main advantage is a better shell explosion, and the fact that the player can actually see a shell instead of just a tracer.
-Grenade launchers: Same applies as above.
-Direct fire, unguided missiles (like FFARS).

MCAR's limitations:
-Kills are not always recorded. Scripting has been added to enable kill recording, but it is not 100% successful.
-BIS 'Crew' function does not operate with MCAR powered vehicles. We have included our own function to replace it: crew_mcar.

Usage:
[vehicle] call Crew_MCAR
Returns crew of vehicle.

Files:

MCAR: BETA: 3

MCAR Manuals (beta)

Demo Missions

Beta 3
Extract to your addons directory, OVERWRITING the existing MCAR files.

Mirrors:
BETA: 3 - completely untested 7 day only mirror

We're looking for more BETA 3 Mirrors! Anyone out there?

Manuals - OFP.info

Demo Missions - OFP.info

Current Version:
MCAR BETA: 3

Okay: Download, play, test and report back what you find. That's the idea. What do you like? What do you dislike? What needs to be improved?

Please note that we are not looking for comments on the textures or modelling of the test platforms.

Regards,

-PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions / MCAR Project Manager

Modification: Added mirrors.
Modification 09/11/04: BETA: 2.5 released, thread updated.
Modification: Added mirrors, courtesy of OFP.info
Modification: Updated MP information, added 2.5.1 links
Modification: Major release: BETA 3. Updated MP info and links.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2005, 21:35:25 by PsyWarrior »

Offline WizzyWig

• Members
  • Mod Maker
    • Oblivion Promotions
Re:Project MCAR BETA - Cars with working guided missiles!
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2004, 22:43:29 »
TESTING..........

Offline WizzyWig

• Members
  • Mod Maker
    • Oblivion Promotions
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2004, 23:12:27 »
Cool nice concept launch smoke needs  some work

PsyWarrior

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2004, 11:40:07 »
Glad you liked it WizzyWig ;D

I think that the smoke effects are quite impressive, considering that the 'missile' that the system fires, actually emits no smoke of it's own at all...

Documentation and demo missions will follow as soon as they are ready.

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior

Black Death

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2004, 19:00:39 »
Hello 8)

I have downloaded your beta and tested it a little bit and I think the smoke is very high quality, especially how in real life it launches, then ignites.  And that's what you did with Mcar. :o

I do have a few constructive criticisms.  One thing is that the missle is too powerful.  One tow has enough firepower to take out an M1A1 or a T80 and that would make a balance issue if you have a car taking out the heaviest tanks. :o
     Another thing I would suggest is if you could make a more realistic pose for the TOW gunner?  He really doesn't look like he's operating the machine when both of his hands are at his sides.
     There is still some issues with the SA-9 though.  I was shooting at some helicopters and when I reloaded my second "clip" of missles, when I fired the first missle I got a very long getpos error and no missle was fired from the launcher.  I got the same error each time with no missle.  But the first clip worked pretty good.
     I am really looking forward to your final release of project Mcar.  It could be used in so many ways.  With some tweaks and more tests, you could have a truly great addon that I will download as soon as it comes out.  :thumbsup:

bye till then(can't wait) :wave:

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2004, 17:30:21 »
One tow has enough firepower to take out an M1A1
No it has not...
At least I need to fire two TOW 2As at a M1A1 (why on earth would you shoot friendlies? ;D ) before it's cooked, T-80 is another matter as BIS have made it less armored than M1A1....
TOW 2B exploits the weakest part in almost all tanks therefore it has been made more powerful...

But then again, the only thing anyone should consentrate on here is the fact that the system itself works, so the 'illusion' of firing a missile is believable, the scripts work so no error this and that appears and so on...

The vehicles (gunners included ;) ) are just there for show purposes, just to show that it is indeed possible to do this with wheeled vehicle.
The power of the missile goes into this category as well as it's just a config issue, and the vehicles and stuff in MCAR are not meant to be used as addons per se due their crappy lay-out...

There is still some issues with the SA-9 though.  I was shooting at some helicopters and when I reloaded my second "clip" of missles, when I fired the first missle I got a very long getpos error and no missle was fired from the launcher.  I got the same error each time with no missle.  But the first clip worked pretty good.
???
wth?
Well, I've never seen that happen...
Did you get this happening more than once?

you could have a truly great addon that I will download as soon as it comes out.
Tnx, but we are probably not going to release any addons ourselves as the MCAR is meant to be used by those who can actually make some nifty vehicles... :P
We suck at that ;D
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2004, 22:34:31 »
Hmm, what about modding the BIS hummer?
:)
Downloading now ;)
- Ben

sa8gecko

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2004, 05:33:29 »

There was a bug in the gamelogics placement when the unit was
damaged, but it's solved now.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2004, 07:43:00 »
Hmm, what about modding the BIS hummer?
What!!
Illegally turn BIS model into MLOD with the evil ODOL Explorer 2!!!!!
And then edit it!!??!!
;D ;D ;) ::) ;D

There was a bug in the gamelogics placement when the unit was damaged, but it's solved now.
:P
Did I know about this at all?? ;D
There's just too much stuff to remember... ::)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2004, 11:51:42 »
Tested it.. It's pretty nice :D
Only thing (Not so much of a prob,suppose I'm the problem :P) is that whats the hummer with the 24x optics? Is it adjustable?
Theres the 2a, 2a real, 2b.. Whats the difference?
::)

But the whole thing is really nice

Just waiting for some new vehicles :D

What!!
Illegally turn BIS model into MLOD with the evil ODOL Explorer 2!!!!!
And then edit it!!??!!
Just realised after I installed the stuff that you used Quakegamers hummers instead.. Never mind the evil ODOL thing :P

- Ben

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2004, 14:22:31 »
Only thing (Not so much of a prob,suppose I'm the problem ) is that whats the hummer with the 24x optics? Is it adjustable?
Theres the 2a, 2a real, 2b.. Whats the difference?
TOW 2A is a direct impact missile and it automatically seeks (at least tries to :P) the target you targeted when firing...
TOW 2B does the same, but has a terrain following guidance code and it climbs above the target and hits it from above (where the armor is thinner in many cases...)... TOW  does not follow terrain IRL though, that was made just to show that it is possible to do in OFP ...

The TOW 2A Real has a zoomed optics (IRL it would bee zoomable) and the TOW itself is fully guidable by the player, so the missile goes there where you point the crosshair and does not seek the target automatically, you need to guide it to the target manually...

Actually the other humwees should also have a bit zoomed optics but I funked up the config a bit just before the release... ;D

Just waiting for some new vehicles
Believe me, the one who waits shall be rewarded ;)

Just realised after I installed the stuff that you used Quakegamers hummers instead.. Never mind the evil ODOL thing
;D ;D

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2004, 21:37:59 »
That pretty much answers everything :D
Believe me, the one who waits shall be rewarded ;)
*Taps foot....*
*Waits some more.. *
* Twitches*

:P

Anyway, I think I might have a look for some other "cars in need of rockets"...

Hmm
- Ben

StoneCold

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jul 2004, 00:03:02 »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Would it be possible to recreate the Hummer with a class of Tank and use a .cpp to give it Car like attributes and the usual Hummer model, then arm it with working missile and rocket weapons?

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jul 2004, 08:08:41 »
Eh...

If that was possible, why would this have been made like this?
And why there has not been any real car class vehicles with missile launchers in OFP before, in it's 3+ year history? ::)

Of course you can use simulation="tank" on a car class vehicle, but then the car behaves exactly like a tank, so the tires won't turn etc. etc...

EDIT:
Oh, and even if the simulation="tank" was used you still couldn't guide the missiles manually...
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2004, 12:15:12 by HateR_Kint »

Void-DK

« Reply #14 on: 06 Jul 2004, 18:17:01 »
First of all great addon - superbly made :D

i have a few issues though :  the Real tow(aimable one) it tends to start guiding itself when it gets near targets - for example if you have 2 tanks, one a good bit behind the other, with the back one still visible to the gunner, and you try hitting the rear tank, theres a big chance that it will auto aim itself into the front one(like heat seeking suddently gets switched on on) - not sure if its a feature, but it can be pretty anoying :)

Also on the Real Tow - would it be possible to mod the smoke a small bit - so that it doesnt block the sight picture completely on launch? - using that thing you are very dependant on your ability to see the target, so alot of smoke blocking the sight is kinda screwed up :P

bit of zoom on the other tow weapons might be a nice thing also :) very hard to point out target with the default view.

-Tet