Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Project MCAR BETA (2.5) - Cars with working guided missiles!  (Read 6811 times)

PsyWarrior

Greetings,

UPDATE: BETA: 3 released!

Psychic Productions is proud to announce the Public BETA release of Project MCAR!

Project MCAR is an attempt by a group of OFP enthusiasts to overcome one of the boundries of OFP editing: The inability to fire any kind of missile from 'Car' class units. MCAR is essentially a very complicated workaround, which simulates a guided missile launch from a vehicle.

From the perspective of the player, he aims his turret at the enemy unit, presses the trigger and a missile launches. It guides itself to the target (even if the target is in motion), hits it, and obliterates it.

The player has no idea what actually happened: He fired a machine gun bullet, which is 'caught' instantly by the scripting system, and removed. A missile is then created (along with particle effects, sound, etc.), and sent on it's way in the direction of fire. The system then checks to see what the player was aiming at, 'locks' onto it, and activates the guidance code to steer the missile to the target. The system instantaneously detects when the missile has hit it's target, explodes it, and the target is annihilated...

The above is one possible scenario. MCAR also works with AIs, with anti-aircraft missiles, and comes with a selection of guidance codes, including: One based on the 9m32 AA missile, one based on the TOW 2A (self guided) and one based on the TOW 2B. We also have another set of guidance codes: The Realistic TOW 2A and TOW 2B, which allows the player/ AI to guide the missile to its target, simply by moving the crosshair. Terrain following missiles are also possible with MCAR, as shown with the standard TOW 2B.

Project MCAR is now Multiplayer Compatible!

Also theoretically possible:
-MCAR with boats: Boats cannot fire missiles either, and there is no reason why MCAR should not work with these too. Untested at present.
-Shells: Also possible, but with much less guidance. Better than an explosive MG bullet, at least. Main advantage is a better shell explosion, and the fact that the player can actually see a shell instead of just a tracer.
-Grenade launchers: Same applies as above.
-Direct fire, unguided missiles (like FFARS).

MCAR's limitations:
-Kills are not always recorded. Scripting has been added to enable kill recording, but it is not 100% successful.
-BIS 'Crew' function does not operate with MCAR powered vehicles. We have included our own function to replace it: crew_mcar.

Usage:
[vehicle] call Crew_MCAR
Returns crew of vehicle.

Files:

MCAR: BETA: 3

MCAR Manuals (beta)

Demo Missions

Beta 3
Extract to your addons directory, OVERWRITING the existing MCAR files.

Mirrors:
BETA: 3 - completely untested 7 day only mirror

We're looking for more BETA 3 Mirrors! Anyone out there?

Manuals - OFP.info

Demo Missions - OFP.info

Current Version:
MCAR BETA: 3

Okay: Download, play, test and report back what you find. That's the idea. What do you like? What do you dislike? What needs to be improved?

Please note that we are not looking for comments on the textures or modelling of the test platforms.

Regards,

-PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions / MCAR Project Manager

Modification: Added mirrors.
Modification 09/11/04: BETA: 2.5 released, thread updated.
Modification: Added mirrors, courtesy of OFP.info
Modification: Updated MP information, added 2.5.1 links
Modification: Major release: BETA 3. Updated MP info and links.
« Last Edit: 18 Jun 2005, 21:35:25 by PsyWarrior »

Offline WizzyWig

• Members
  • Mod Maker
    • Oblivion Promotions
Re:Project MCAR BETA - Cars with working guided missiles!
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jun 2004, 22:43:29 »
TESTING..........

Offline WizzyWig

• Members
  • Mod Maker
    • Oblivion Promotions
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jun 2004, 23:12:27 »
Cool nice concept launch smoke needs  some work

PsyWarrior

« Reply #3 on: 02 Jun 2004, 11:40:07 »
Glad you liked it WizzyWig ;D

I think that the smoke effects are quite impressive, considering that the 'missile' that the system fires, actually emits no smoke of it's own at all...

Documentation and demo missions will follow as soon as they are ready.

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior

Black Death

« Reply #4 on: 18 Jun 2004, 19:00:39 »
Hello 8)

I have downloaded your beta and tested it a little bit and I think the smoke is very high quality, especially how in real life it launches, then ignites.  And that's what you did with Mcar. :o

I do have a few constructive criticisms.  One thing is that the missle is too powerful.  One tow has enough firepower to take out an M1A1 or a T80 and that would make a balance issue if you have a car taking out the heaviest tanks. :o
     Another thing I would suggest is if you could make a more realistic pose for the TOW gunner?  He really doesn't look like he's operating the machine when both of his hands are at his sides.
     There is still some issues with the SA-9 though.  I was shooting at some helicopters and when I reloaded my second "clip" of missles, when I fired the first missle I got a very long getpos error and no missle was fired from the launcher.  I got the same error each time with no missle.  But the first clip worked pretty good.
     I am really looking forward to your final release of project Mcar.  It could be used in so many ways.  With some tweaks and more tests, you could have a truly great addon that I will download as soon as it comes out.  :thumbsup:

bye till then(can't wait) :wave:

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2004, 17:30:21 »
One tow has enough firepower to take out an M1A1
No it has not...
At least I need to fire two TOW 2As at a M1A1 (why on earth would you shoot friendlies? ;D ) before it's cooked, T-80 is another matter as BIS have made it less armored than M1A1....
TOW 2B exploits the weakest part in almost all tanks therefore it has been made more powerful...

But then again, the only thing anyone should consentrate on here is the fact that the system itself works, so the 'illusion' of firing a missile is believable, the scripts work so no error this and that appears and so on...

The vehicles (gunners included ;) ) are just there for show purposes, just to show that it is indeed possible to do this with wheeled vehicle.
The power of the missile goes into this category as well as it's just a config issue, and the vehicles and stuff in MCAR are not meant to be used as addons per se due their crappy lay-out...

There is still some issues with the SA-9 though.  I was shooting at some helicopters and when I reloaded my second "clip" of missles, when I fired the first missle I got a very long getpos error and no missle was fired from the launcher.  I got the same error each time with no missle.  But the first clip worked pretty good.
???
wth?
Well, I've never seen that happen...
Did you get this happening more than once?

you could have a truly great addon that I will download as soon as it comes out.
Tnx, but we are probably not going to release any addons ourselves as the MCAR is meant to be used by those who can actually make some nifty vehicles... :P
We suck at that ;D
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #6 on: 19 Jun 2004, 22:34:31 »
Hmm, what about modding the BIS hummer?
:)
Downloading now ;)
- Ben

sa8gecko

« Reply #7 on: 20 Jun 2004, 05:33:29 »

There was a bug in the gamelogics placement when the unit was
damaged, but it's solved now.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jun 2004, 07:43:00 »
Hmm, what about modding the BIS hummer?
What!!
Illegally turn BIS model into MLOD with the evil ODOL Explorer 2!!!!!
And then edit it!!??!!
;D ;D ;) ::) ;D

There was a bug in the gamelogics placement when the unit was damaged, but it's solved now.
:P
Did I know about this at all?? ;D
There's just too much stuff to remember... ::)

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #9 on: 20 Jun 2004, 11:51:42 »
Tested it.. It's pretty nice :D
Only thing (Not so much of a prob,suppose I'm the problem :P) is that whats the hummer with the 24x optics? Is it adjustable?
Theres the 2a, 2a real, 2b.. Whats the difference?
::)

But the whole thing is really nice

Just waiting for some new vehicles :D

What!!
Illegally turn BIS model into MLOD with the evil ODOL Explorer 2!!!!!
And then edit it!!??!!
Just realised after I installed the stuff that you used Quakegamers hummers instead.. Never mind the evil ODOL thing :P

- Ben

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #10 on: 20 Jun 2004, 14:22:31 »
Only thing (Not so much of a prob,suppose I'm the problem ) is that whats the hummer with the 24x optics? Is it adjustable?
Theres the 2a, 2a real, 2b.. Whats the difference?
TOW 2A is a direct impact missile and it automatically seeks (at least tries to :P) the target you targeted when firing...
TOW 2B does the same, but has a terrain following guidance code and it climbs above the target and hits it from above (where the armor is thinner in many cases...)... TOW  does not follow terrain IRL though, that was made just to show that it is possible to do in OFP ...

The TOW 2A Real has a zoomed optics (IRL it would bee zoomable) and the TOW itself is fully guidable by the player, so the missile goes there where you point the crosshair and does not seek the target automatically, you need to guide it to the target manually...

Actually the other humwees should also have a bit zoomed optics but I funked up the config a bit just before the release... ;D

Just waiting for some new vehicles
Believe me, the one who waits shall be rewarded ;)

Just realised after I installed the stuff that you used Quakegamers hummers instead.. Never mind the evil ODOL thing
;D ;D

DBR_ONIX

« Reply #11 on: 21 Jun 2004, 21:37:59 »
That pretty much answers everything :D
Believe me, the one who waits shall be rewarded ;)
*Taps foot....*
*Waits some more.. *
* Twitches*

:P

Anyway, I think I might have a look for some other "cars in need of rockets"...

Hmm
- Ben

StoneCold

« Reply #12 on: 04 Jul 2004, 00:03:02 »
 ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Would it be possible to recreate the Hummer with a class of Tank and use a .cpp to give it Car like attributes and the usual Hummer model, then arm it with working missile and rocket weapons?

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #13 on: 04 Jul 2004, 08:08:41 »
Eh...

If that was possible, why would this have been made like this?
And why there has not been any real car class vehicles with missile launchers in OFP before, in it's 3+ year history? ::)

Of course you can use simulation="tank" on a car class vehicle, but then the car behaves exactly like a tank, so the tires won't turn etc. etc...

EDIT:
Oh, and even if the simulation="tank" was used you still couldn't guide the missiles manually...
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2004, 12:15:12 by HateR_Kint »

Void-DK

« Reply #14 on: 06 Jul 2004, 18:17:01 »
First of all great addon - superbly made :D

i have a few issues though :  the Real tow(aimable one) it tends to start guiding itself when it gets near targets - for example if you have 2 tanks, one a good bit behind the other, with the back one still visible to the gunner, and you try hitting the rear tank, theres a big chance that it will auto aim itself into the front one(like heat seeking suddently gets switched on on) - not sure if its a feature, but it can be pretty anoying :)

Also on the Real Tow - would it be possible to mod the smoke a small bit - so that it doesnt block the sight picture completely on launch? - using that thing you are very dependant on your ability to see the target, so alot of smoke blocking the sight is kinda screwed up :P

bit of zoom on the other tow weapons might be a nice thing also :) very hard to point out target with the default view.

-Tet

Void-DK

« Reply #15 on: 06 Jul 2004, 20:22:06 »
Did i mention how much i love this mod? - well i do! especially the terrain following one :D gotta love seeing that hot slug popping down the top of the tank :P

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #16 on: 06 Jul 2004, 21:00:23 »
the Real tow(aimable one) it tends to start guiding itself when it gets near targets
Yeah.. We are aware of this, and it has been tweaked...
So the next version will be less 'auto-seeking...'

I think.. ::) hard to remember wth we have fixed and altered because the codes have been re-written on some parts almost completely... :P

Also on the Real Tow - would it be possible to mod the smoke a small bit - so that it doesnt block the sight picture completely on launch? - using that thing you are very dependant on your ability to see the target, so alot of smoke blocking the sight is kinda screwed up
Yes, this annoys me too since I have quite a low-end pc so it also tends to lag up in some conditions...
This will be changing... :P

Altough, there will probably be some 'real' AddOns using MCAR so these test vehicles become quite useless at that moment :P

bit of zoom on the other tow weapons might be a nice thing also  very hard to point out target with the default view.
;D
Yeah... This is all my fault as I somehow managed to funk up the view settings in the config just before the release... ::)
The 'regular' humwees have about half the zoom the 'Real' humwees have...

Did i mention how much i love this mod?
;D
Well, sort of... ->
First of all great addon - superbly made

PsyWarrior

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2004, 16:28:56 »
Greets,

Just an update:

We're still working on the MCAR: BETA 2.5 update, which will include many upgrades and fixes. Unfortunately, most of the MCAR team are pretty busy in RL right now, and so progress has slowed somewhat...

Nevertheless, we're getting there.

In other news: The first addons to use the Project MCAR system are nearing completion. Fischkopp's HUMMWV pack will feature working TOW AT Missile systems, and an Avenger AA Platform.

-Supr. Cmdr. PsyWarrior
-Psychic Productions

PsyWarrior

« Reply #18 on: 02 Sep 2004, 21:38:28 »
[in the voice of Father Jack Hackett:]
Drrrink! Girlsh! Updayte!

Although there has been quite a delay since the release of MCAR-BETA: 2, Project MCAR is still chugging along nicely, and we are nearing a position where we can release the next version of MCAR, the BETA: 2.5.

Our Multiplayer compatability testing is proceeding well, and we have recently tentatively cleared the core system as MP compatable. Once we have the rest of the minor MP bugs sorted out, we just have to make a few modifications to the documentation, and get the demo missions together, and we will be in a position to release our update.

We are also looking for someone skilled in MP coding. Head to the recruitment depot, or if the article hasn't yet been published, details on the BIS forums.

Also: In case you've been away, the first MCAR powered addons have been released in the form of Fischkopp's HMMWV pack. Go. Get it. You'll like it, really... ;D

-Psy|W

PsyWarrior

Re:Project MCAR BETA (2.5) - Cars with working guided missiles!
« Reply #19 on: 09 Nov 2004, 13:29:25 »
We are pleased to announce the release of the long-awaited BETA:2.5!

The BETA 2.5 fixes numerous bugs, and adds new functionality to Project MCAR. For full details, please see the Readme file.

Here's a list of some of the most important changes or things you need to know:
-Despite what was said previously, MCAR: BETA: 2.5 is not MP compatible. We are looking for help here, if you know your way around MP editing, please get in touch!

UPDATE: As of the 2.5.1 patch, Project MCAR is now tentatively MP Compatible. Please test and feedback.

-BETA version of documentation/ manuals added, for addon designers and mission editors.
-TOW 2B 'Real' HMMWV added
-Several new AA guidance codes introduced, and demonstrated on the Sa-9 Gakin.
-Kill reporting added to some vehicles. Still not 100% reliable yet.
-3 Demo Missions added, with one more on the way.
-Code added to deal with savegame issues.
-Misc. Bugfixes and upgrades

This list is not exhaustive, but it gives you an idea of some of the things that have changed in this version.

Files:
The BETA: 2.5 files can be obtained here. Please use mirrors to download, when they are available.

MCAR: BETA: 2.5

MCAR Manuals (beta)

Demo Missions

Beta 2.5.1
Extract to your addons directory, OVERWRITING the psy_mcar_config.pbo and psy_mcar_scripts.pbo files. You must install the BETA: 2.5 before applying this patch.

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/sa8gecko/beta2.5.working/psy_mcar_config.pbo

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/sa8gecko/beta2.5.working/psy_mcar_scripts.pbo

Mirrors:
Beta 2.5 - OFP.info

BETA 2.5 manuals - OFP.info

Demo Missions - OFP.info

Additional Information:
For further information on the inner workings of MCAR, please consult these link for sa8gecko's (ongoing) attempt to document the BETA 2.5:

Scripts:
BETA: 2.5 scripts explained

And functions:
BETA 2.5 functions explained

If you have any questions about the inner workings of Project MCAR, please do not hesitate to ask the Lead Developer, sa8gecko, here:
Ask Sa8Gecko

Manual Errata:
1. The README states that the Sa9-Gaskin missiles have a speed that is
reached after about 4 seconds from launch and mantain till 10 seconds. Then its speed will slow down a little (-20 m/s) for the next 5 seconds, then it will explode.
This is not correct. Only the standard Gaskin missile behaves in this way, the others start to decelerate just after having reached max speed (at engine burnout). And they have an endurance of about 19.5 secs, whereas the standard one has only 15 secs to live.

Enjoy the update, and look out for bugs... :p

If you are an addon designer or modder, and you want to either update a released addon, a work-in-progress, or to create an addon based on MCAR: BETA: 2.5, please contact us, we would like to hear from you.

-PsyWarrior
-MCAR Project Manager

EDIT: Added 2.5.1 and updated MP information.
« Last Edit: 28 Dec 2004, 15:29:31 by PsyWarrior »

Homefry31464

« Reply #20 on: 14 Nov 2004, 03:05:04 »
Amazing job guys... even if I'm not an addon maker... I can't wait for some awesome addons to start coming out using this system...

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #21 on: 14 Nov 2004, 08:31:54 »
Well, there already are... :P

Combat! Humwees use MCAR (actually a mixture between Beta 2 and 2.5, I think...)
Then there're the Fichkopp's Humwees as well...

Hawk has some BRDM class vehicle which uses MCAR, dunno if he has released the new beta yet (the first beta was very very bug ridden)

Don't remember if there were others...

Homefry31464

« Reply #22 on: 15 Nov 2004, 01:17:24 »
Well, there already are... :P

Combat! Humwees use MCAR (actually a mixture between Beta 2 and 2.5, I think...)
Then there're the Fichkopp's Humwees as well...

Hawk has some BRDM class vehicle which uses MCAR, dunno if he has released the new beta yet (the first beta was very very bug ridden)

Don't remember if there were others...

Excellent, I didn't even realize it... thanks mate.

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #23 on: 24 Nov 2004, 21:25:49 »
Next up in Project MCAR developement:

In the (somewhat crappy) pics above you can see a M151A1 Jeep with 106mm Recoilless Gun obliterating enemy targets, first an armored target with HEAT round, and then some enemy infantry with APERS round...

Note that the weapon fires 'real' shells (currently HEAT, HEP and APERS), not explosive bullets...

This will be released shortly with the intention of demonstrating that MCAR is not just for missile use... ;)
« Last Edit: 22 Dec 2004, 22:04:01 by HateR_Kint »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #24 on: 22 Dec 2004, 22:04:55 »
Well, 'shortly' is a bit relative term, but anyhow ::) :

M151A1C released.[/b]
Grab it here

Includes a demo mission.
Consult the readMe.txt for information.
Requires the Project MCAR Beta 2.5

This is also a multiplayer beta, so all reports on that particular behaviour are welcome...
!!NOTE: The 'multiplayer compatability beta' is available only for this Recoilless Gun Jeep, NOT for the earlier MCAR Beta 2.5 vehicles!![/b]

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #25 on: 25 Dec 2004, 18:55:31 »
Ok, here's a small patch for Project MCAR Beta 2.5
MCAR Beta 2.5.1

This fixes a few issues that made the TOW 2B humwees completely disfunctional ::)

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #26 on: 25 Dec 2004, 19:41:01 »
>:(

If you downloaded the patch before this post, please redownload...
The file was a wrong one...

Sry for any inconvinience...
My bad...

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #27 on: 27 Dec 2004, 20:47:21 »
Coming up next:

Hi Res

M1025 HMMWV with Mk19