Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Back to where it all started :)  (Read 2589 times)

SEAL84

Back to where it all started :)
« on: 20 Aug 2002, 16:42:53 »
Yay!  I get the first post in my old stomping grounds with Radiosilence!

But I do have a mission idea, strangely enough.

I'm thinking someone with Gimbal's tossers and OFP:Res (like me) could have a ball creating "detective" missions.  Here's how it works...a bunch of civvies are standing around in a town waiting for a bus.  One of them is a West Tosser with no weapons.  All of a sudden this dude (an East tosser armed with a Tokarev instead of rocks) pulls up in a car and wastes him, then gets back in and drives away.

Enter player.

You are a tosser armed with a Beretta (the beauty of it is that you look like John Q Public) who is driving around in his little blue detective car.  The homicide call comes in and you go to investigate, talk to a few of the civvies in a cutscene, get info and then chase the dude back to his "bad guy hideout".  You could leave it there, or this could be a whole series about the detective cracking a cocaine smuggling ring or something.  

Whaddya think?

Offline icarus_uk

• Members
  • LiarLiarPants Inflame True
    • [furryclan]
Re:Back to where it all started :)
« Reply #1 on: 20 Aug 2002, 17:39:23 »
Why do ya need tossers?  So far no one has thrown anything, but youve put an addon in the mission and havent used it.

SEAL84

« Reply #2 on: 20 Aug 2002, 17:43:44 »
Well I think it's just easier because they already come with three different guys for each side, which means you don't have to mess with the .sqm.

Could you?  Yeah...but I don't like to.

Hell, you could even have the detective dude stopping a barfight between drunken tossers if you wanted to...use yer imagination!

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 20 Aug 2002, 18:09:32 »
That sounds cool, so far, no one has created a campaign for the civvie side. None that I am aware of anyway.
Think about it, we have one for the West, one for the East, just recently one for Resistance, and it would be unfair if we didn't get at least one for the civilians as well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

MrCrispPacketII

« Reply #4 on: 20 Aug 2002, 19:40:46 »
This was the sorta thing I was thinking about to the follow up to my nearly finished (*waits for lightning bolt to strike him down*) campaign. The main character retires to an island of sorts and becomes a detective. One day, he foils a bank robbery, which starts him on a path to investigating a mysterious criminal underground. You investigate murders/kidnapping - by looking for clues at the scenes of the crime/talking to witnesses/ going out to arrest suspects. Hey, you're characters ex-Special Forces - why not saddleup for a high risk arrest with the local SWAT team. Needs a bit of work but it would certainly be an origional idea from the normal infantry/tank missions.
« Last Edit: 20 Aug 2002, 19:41:27 by MrCrispPacketII »

Ex-RoNiN

« Reply #5 on: 21 Aug 2002, 03:36:46 »
Well I think it's just easier because they already come with three different guys for each side, which means you don't have to mess with the .sqm.

Could you?  Yeah...but I don't like to.

Hell, you could even have the detective dude stopping a barfight between drunken tossers if you wanted to...use yer imagination!
What's so difficult in changing "civ" to "east" or "west"  ???

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #6 on: 21 Aug 2002, 23:35:03 »
the fact that its impossible?

you can only effectivly change CIv to GUER - changing to EASt or WEST doesnt affect them at all - no1 will shoot them - trust me, ive tried.

the colour of the unit changes to enemy or ally (red or green) but it doesnt affect how they act.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

SEAL84

« Reply #7 on: 21 Aug 2002, 23:42:03 »
Yeah I've tried it too....I was working on a CIA mission where you were a civvie, then I changed the .sqm to have him be a WEST unit, and it didn't seem to work.

That's why  :)
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2002, 23:42:58 by SEAL84 »

Offline icarus_uk

• Members
  • LiarLiarPants Inflame True
    • [furryclan]
« Reply #8 on: 22 Aug 2002, 00:23:15 »
I prefer to make it a east or west soldier, then hack the sqm and change his vehicle to one of the fake civvies.  This gives him the threat rating to the other side, the look of a civvey and the inventory of a proper soldier.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #9 on: 22 Aug 2002, 01:39:28 »
yep that works too.... but for ease of use - tossers  get ma vote  ;D
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

zsa_zsa_rasputin

« Reply #10 on: 23 Aug 2002, 13:37:31 »
just out of interest - these "tossers" what are they actually called in the game? (As in unit name) Are they part of an addon? (I'm guessing other people than myself finds the name "tosser" a little amusing :D)

Dan  ;D

SEAL84

« Reply #11 on: 23 Aug 2002, 16:32:05 »
They're called "Gimbal's Tossers", and they throw stuff.  But, like I did, you can take their rocks and vodka bottles away and give them guns, since there are West tossers, East tossers, and Resistance tossers that look just like civvies (all he did was change their side and give em stuff to throw).

It's a relatively small file...278kb UNzipped...so I figure if I ever shipped a mission that used them, I'd just lump them into the ZIP myself.

Offline angusjm

• Contributing Member
    • Virtual SAS
« Reply #12 on: 23 Aug 2002, 23:27:49 »
A detective thing sounds good.  If you were working with a swat team, or riot police you could suggest making units with riot shields or plastic bullets if you wanted a shootout at the end or in an outro.

bigdog632

« Reply #13 on: 07 Feb 2003, 03:54:32 »
the riot thing sounds cool especially witht he tossers have them armed with gas grenades and shields
the tossers can dow hat they do and it can be like a team deathmatch almost

KyleEasterly

« Reply #14 on: 07 Feb 2003, 07:25:51 »
This sounds like a very cool idea. There definitely needs to be more non tanks and infantry missions, we need more abstract things that don't involve racing cars on the roads.

In "Deception" I'm using a civilian unit for the player's character. There are some problems with people not wanting to blow him away when they should, but since most of it is scripted anyway, a simple this dotarget player; this doshoot player seems to work just fine. In the intro movie to the first segment I've got an East sniper shooting a civilian to death. The idea using the tossers would be easier to do nonscripted battles with, though.