Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Hey Kuro  (Read 1300 times)

Gypsy Killer

Hey Kuro
« on: 22 Apr 2003, 15:25:25 »
I just have a few q's for you regarding Alone.

You regarded it as a good mission that could be completed in a variety of ways.. granted yes, and a few of the things could be improved, but how come it only got 5/10?
I would like to have some feedback as to why... I thought it was a failry competent (if rushed) job.. which incidentally was originally meant as a two player co-op.

Any thoughts would be nice, as well as from anyone else! :)

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
  • 2./FschJgBtl 251 Green Devils
    • VBS2 Mission Download Site
Re:Hey Kuro
« Reply #1 on: 23 Apr 2003, 08:37:07 »
Hello Gypsy Killer,

first a 5 means "Nice, Average Mission... Nothing great, but nothing overtly bad either. " (see the OFPEC Review system).

The mission itself is okay. But not only the mission is rated also the things around the mission (Overview, Intro, Briefing, Outro) are rated in the Overview. And there the mission is IMHO very spartanic.

Improvment points:
Overview:
- Frame around the Pic
- Shadow behind the Pic (like BIS)
- A little for text

Intro:
- Ok, but something more exinting than a lonely M113 driving thru landscape, how about some traffic ?

Briefing:
-  This briefing is bare to the bones. OK it has all necessary info, but that is all. Just look at the "Dusk before Dawn" or "Operation Sneak Attack". Those briefing tell a story.

Mission:
- The mission is Ok, but can surely be improved with more randomness. Every time you play the mission exactly the same happens to the same time.  A additional objective or some radio messages from the advancing relief force might be great. Because you have no idea when they come. Some "ETA 10 minutes, hold on"... would be improving the whole athmosphere.

Outro:
Not existing !
I did it, i did it ! I even saved the M113. ... Oh same end message as if i abandon it : (

I agree the mission is a fairly competent job. But to get a six score a Outro is must (a short one is ok, too).
If you make a "normal" Overview and Briefing and the mission will get a seven.  

Greetings
Kuro

Gypsy Killer

« Reply #2 on: 23 Apr 2003, 11:22:30 »
I see.
Fair enough comments.
Someone I knew play tested it and came up with roughly the same (after i had submitted it...). The lack of any indication that the rein is moving is a disadvantage, i admit.
Oh well...
Hope you enjoy the next one more (it even has an outro! ;D)

deaddog

« Reply #3 on: 25 Apr 2003, 21:46:30 »
Personally, I think long briefings that "tell a story" are unnecessary.  A briefing should contain only the necessary info to play the game.  In other words, it should be brief.

Maybe it's because I'm impatient and want to get to the mission.  :)  If it takes more than two pages, it too long.  Put the story in the readme file.

Just my opinion of course.  ;D  No offense meant.

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #4 on: 28 Apr 2003, 15:59:37 »
Hallo,

basically i agree with you. My dream Briefing is short summary and objectives on the first page. You should be able to play the mission with only reading the first page.
Further Info, Map marks, history, support units, etc. on links, and a personal message under notes. Should be fun to read, give hints, overal understanding of the situation. Because even a "stupid" kill them all mission can be more interesting if there is a story.

Kuro

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 28 Apr 2003, 18:58:00 »
rofl ;D

we need thread 4 every reviewer ;D

@ Kuro

check ur IMs ;)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Kuro

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2003, 20:29:03 »
HI LCD,

got your Message, sorry, for late response (having some free days in good old germany).
This Saturday i fly back to Japan. Will make some reviews this weekend. Looking forward to the new OSA.

Greetings
Kuro

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2003, 21:37:44 »
kool ;D

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta