Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How important is a storyline?  (Read 5260 times)

bigdog632

Re:How important is a storyline?
« Reply #15 on: 28 Apr 2003, 17:31:10 »
I don't want to brag but that campaign played out like a movie. You watched 20 minute cinematics before you even did anything. My friends loved it, a couple even bought OFP JUST to play that campaign.

20 minutes of cinematics? jeez ya wait 30 min to join a game to watch a 20 min moie before killin people

Offline .pablo.

• Former Staff
  • When in doubt, empty the magazine.
« Reply #16 on: 29 Apr 2003, 01:54:00 »
where can i d/l that mission winters? the urls u posted dont work

Frosty

« Reply #17 on: 29 Apr 2003, 12:21:18 »
This is what I will be attempting to achieve in my Citizen Soldiers campaign. The whole idea has beeb inspired by the late Stephen E. Ambrose, and therefore it will be dedicated to him, and also to the brave fighting men of every nation engaged in the Second World War.

I hope that in my campaign when your comrades make a joke you laugh, and when they die you cry :'(. I want it to be heavily dramatic. Sort of like the Band of Brothers show, and Saving Private Ryan. But I didn't want to use that name because every one knows about it.

Go to Pre 1985 to read my thread. I'm a bit sad no one really cares right now. It is about to hit 100 reads, so maybe you could post your comments there.

Phantom

« Reply #18 on: 29 Apr 2003, 12:31:40 »
that's flagrant self advertising if i've ever seen it

Captain Winters

« Reply #19 on: 02 May 2003, 02:27:33 »
please phantom enough chris-bashing already... This weekend im releasin a small preview look for it on this site.

Tanks...  8)

PS- 20 mins i'm just sortas exaggeratin  ;) thats TOO much!

Mr_Shady

« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2003, 16:15:16 »
The reason for all forms of media, be it book, film, newspaper article or game, is to tell a story. Even though, say, a newspaper article is there to inform rather than entertain, it still tells you a story about something.

So, I think that for a mission or campaign to be succesful, they need a storyline. Personally, I think CWC lost it a little, because the opening missions were great in the sense that you were one of the grunts, and there was bantering between your mates before the fighting. It was like 'being' Armstrong, and when you feel part of a story that your character plays a role in, it's suceeding. In games like Black Hawk Down, which have no real story, it felt a bit... exclusive. Like your part wasn't important, and that you were just a faceless grunt. I think CWC went this way a little bit once it started chopping and changing, with only Gastovski and Armstrong interesting me. The tankie didn't interest me, and the pilot only interested me when he was shot down, and you had to escape and evade the enemy. It's the little twists that make the differences sometimes.

My mod campaign, Hoffman's Luck (sadly defunct) was based on a story I wrote about a disillusioned British soldier who was part of a unit garrisoning a small island. It had it's fair share of characters (a few of which that were to be playable) but each was important to the plot, since their parts all intertwined. CWC seemed to have been written with only Armstrong and Gastovski in mind, then the others bolted on at the end.

I'd write about Res, but I only got up to the bit where you had to ambush the convoy, it was too hard for me  :-[ But, I did like the choices thrown at you, like betraying the rebel, or fighting the Russians, and then having to deal with the consequences of your actions. That was unexpecteldy cool.

So, to summarise:

A mission IS the storyline  :)

RP

« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2003, 14:49:42 »
Good point Kooky!

Mr_Shady

« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2003, 15:24:07 »
Thank you kindly, good sir! I knew I was studying A-Level Media Studies for a reason  ;)

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #23 on: 06 May 2003, 00:41:35 »
although resistance didnt use the choices idea well enuff... if you make a new profile and do the campaign cheat... u can see that basically whatever your choice you would end up with reisstance, or die... lol
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #24 on: 06 May 2003, 07:40:33 »
Yeah, in the end you would come to play as the resistance.
Back when OFP:R was just released, I saw a very good use for the choice-system.
What about a campaign that can be played from both sides?
Exactly the same campaign but you can play either as the russkies or the americans.

Or you could do something else.
Let's say you make a campaign using the BAS-units.
Now, at the beginning of the campaign you get to make a choice, either play as the Deltas/Rangers on the ground, or play as the pilot that provides CAS and/or ferry them to and from the mission.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

delaware

« Reply #25 on: 06 May 2003, 10:44:24 »
That's eerie, Ktotte.  I was thinking up concepts for missions on Sunday, and the first one I wanted to try was being a Littlebird pilot providing air support during a raid.  I got to thinking and realized every aspect -- Delta assaulters, Ranger security elements, 160th pilots, ground convoy drivers) of that mission would be cool, especially when you saw other units doing what you did last time you played.

I just started learning about making missions, so I don't have the talent to pull that off yet.  Maybe someone else here can give it a shot...?

While we're on the subject of air support, a door gunner campaign in Vietnam would be very, very cool.

Regards,
Chris

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #26 on: 06 May 2003, 11:58:48 »
Yes, I was actually considering a full campaign as seen from the supporting roles.
That means, the guy who flies the helo, alt. mans the gun in the helo.
I could include fix-winged aircraft, but that would be the exception, not the rule. Fix-winged aircraft don't see much combat, just circle-around, get the order to attack, move in at high alt. target the laser designated target, drop your bombs, go home..
Rotary-aircraft can stay close during the entire mission, and will see more action than fix-winged aircraft.

At first, my idea was to make only a campaign as seen from the pilots, but maybe the idea could be extended.
The good thing about this is that once you got one side of the campaign done, it won't be too hard converting missions to play from a different point of view, and also adding the necessary scripting to make it possible to switch between them (though you will have to play the entire campaign from one pov. So you can't do mission 1, helo, mission 2, delta, mission 3, helo.)
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Phantom

« Reply #27 on: 06 May 2003, 15:27:59 »
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA(for infinity)

I was thinking up concepts for missions on Sunday, and the first one I wanted to try was being a Littlebird pilot providing air support during a raid.  I got to thinking and realized every aspect -- Delta assaulters, Ranger security elements, 160th pilots, ground convoy drivers)

hmm....
can anyone say Black Hawk Down?
please.....
oh well, at least i don't have to look at yet ANOTHER BHD topic...

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #28 on: 06 May 2003, 16:48:27 »
Phantom, can that bullsh*it attitude.
Why does it have to be blackhawk down just because he uses HMMWVs, Deltas, Rangers and the 160th SOAR?

If he had said "I'm going to make a mission where the Deltas and Rangers are going to capture terrorist leaders in a town, backed up by the 160th SOAR and HMMWV convoys, and at one point one of the blackhawks get shot down" it would have been a rip off.

If you don't like BHD, fine.
Don't crap on everyone elses good ideas because you are angry you didn't get there first.