Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: How many addons is too many?  (Read 3101 times)

aurek

How many addons is too many?
« on: 04 Apr 2003, 20:54:32 »
As a firm believer in no using too many addons in a mission it begs the question. How many is too many.

Im making a mission at the moment. Currently you will have to have installed:

4 addons

And if I wanted total realism it would be more. So where do you draw the line between realism and ease of use for as many people as possible? :)

max_killer_payne

Re:How many addons is too many?
« Reply #1 on: 04 Apr 2003, 21:01:17 »
Try to cut the number down. Myself? I h8 havin 2 download loadsa addons, take out 1s dat u dont fink r neccessary.

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #2 on: 04 Apr 2003, 22:48:42 »
I'd say four is the max you should use, but if you use a big addon like the nam pack only try and use that. But don't use addons for the sake of using them, only use them if they play a big part in the mission, so don't use a 4mb addon for a 2 second clip in the intro and stuff like that.

I'd also try and stay clear of the editor addons but thats just me  ;)

aurek

« Reply #3 on: 05 Apr 2003, 18:01:30 »
Yeah ok, taking that into account 3 addons now :)

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #4 on: 05 Apr 2003, 18:13:01 »
I'd say four is the max you should use, but if you use a big addon like the nam pack only try and use that. But don't use addons for the sake of using them, only use them if they play a big part in the mission, so don't use a 4mb addon for a 2 second clip in the intro and stuff like that.

IÂ'm too lazy to write today, FeatherÂ's mt voice ;D.

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #5 on: 05 Apr 2003, 18:41:33 »
dere is nothin like 2 meny addons - but u should never use unneeded addons (so if dere is good reason ppl will d/l da whole nam pack right ?)

LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Totibbs

« Reply #6 on: 07 Apr 2003, 00:00:19 »
on this moment I stoped to make and/or test missions, but in past and in futur, I prefer no addons.

I create no missions with addons, so I do not like to test missions by which addons are needed.

In OFP there are enough vehicles. And enough buildings so addons are not needed in my opinion.

offcourse it is a good job that people make addons. But I do not use them  :P

Phantom

« Reply #7 on: 07 Apr 2003, 01:55:19 »
that's all well and good, until you don't want to have the US playing off the Russians all the time

RP

« Reply #8 on: 08 Apr 2003, 21:04:41 »
I like addons in missions! It feels almost like a "new game" when we put them to good use.
Having a fast conection, i dont mind the dl, but mission makers must remember to give direct links to addon dl whenever possible.

Plizkin

« Reply #9 on: 10 Apr 2003, 16:09:16 »
*lol* I`ve make a mission with 582 AddOns  ;D

Offline dmakatra

• Members
  • Better known as Armsty
« Reply #10 on: 10 Apr 2003, 19:32:10 »
*lol* I`ve make a mission with 582 AddOns  ;D

I donÂ't wanna review that one ;).

Commando

« Reply #11 on: 10 Apr 2003, 21:48:17 »
lol you broke my record! My friend tells me i use to many but wait until he hears about this... Well i think somewhere between 4-8 is good but when starting to use more than 10 addons you need to cut the brakes... :P
Well I download loads of stuff but i try to stay clear from the ww2 stuff even though i like modern age and nam stuff much more. but thats only because i think that addons should be gathered in big packs like the nam pack and the delta forces from bas. they got it all sorted out. and ofp doesn't slow down to much when having addon packs instead of hundreds of pbo files.... :P when they could have used one or maybe 2. well that was what i think about this issue. and yeah, addons shouldn't be ignored, the editor addon should have been burnt in on the ofp game of the year edition cd.. ;D and the res editor addon to. because they simplify the life of mission editiing. instead of needing to h4xx the .sqm file everytime you add a new building or change something in it.

RP

« Reply #12 on: 10 Apr 2003, 23:07:44 »
Yeah, addon packs is the way to go! I think addon makers should get organised and pack!
But i prefer to stay away from packs with 175 addons inside of it (or just to many of them for my taste).
Considering addons in missions, i think more then 4 is a litle bit to much, unless some of them are the kind most of us allready have (like the editor upgrade).

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #13 on: 24 Apr 2003, 13:46:40 »
It doesn't matter how many addons you have as long as they are really worth having.    Taking one away should have a material adverse change on the mission.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Phantom

« Reply #14 on: 24 Apr 2003, 14:28:36 »
i think that if we want diversity in the missions and their stories, then addons are an inevitable part of it. My Task Force Timor campaign is running about 8 addons at the moment because we need all these Australian troops, and I'm pretty worried about people getting excited about playing the missions and then seeing that they have to download over 5 addons and then going, fuck this it's probably not that good anyway.

do you think that if you gave people notice (a week) before the mission is released and what addons they need? so that way it's drawn out and doesn't seem as bad for those on dial-up.

Phantom