Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Not really an Idea but a question...  (Read 1702 times)

aurek

Not really an Idea but a question...
« on: 04 Apr 2003, 13:27:44 »
So anyone who has any idea of military force deployment.

If it was required to drop a small force (Squad or 2 and possibly Vehicle) Into an operational area deep behind enemy lines. Would they Deploy from chopper's or parachute?

If parachute would they para from a plane or chopper?
Or insert via plane and extract via chopper?

Also if there any difference between Russian and American thoughts in such a matter. If so what are they?

Plizkin

Re:Not really an Idea but a question...
« Reply #1 on: 04 Apr 2003, 16:37:07 »
I thing, they would deploy from choppers.  ;)

aurek

« Reply #2 on: 04 Apr 2003, 20:36:31 »
I was just reading about the BMD-3, (russian apc/ifv) it can be paradroped with its squad inside!. So, downloading BMD-3 as we speak :)  

bigdog632

« Reply #3 on: 20 Apr 2003, 06:55:06 »
i would insert via plane if it is deep inside enemy lines and a team that big to get them in fast and then extract with helo especially if ya wanted a vehicle

Phantom

« Reply #4 on: 20 Apr 2003, 10:50:17 »
They would definately not do a paradrop from a HELO.
Whether they parachute or not really depends on the terrain.
e.g. Iraq, flat as pool table, almost no cover.
They wouldn't drop by parachute because they'd not really have anywhere to stash the chutes once they were on the ground, sure, they could stash them back inside their pack, but that's pretty unlikely.

It also depends on how long they're going to be in the area.
But the biggest thing you need to think about, is this.

Are they allowed to leave any sign that they've been there. Are people allowed to know that guys were there.

So!

Here's what I think

Island: Any
Mission: Covert
MOI: Insertion by chopper into a safe area, then they'd walk the rest of the way.

Island: Any
Mission: Overt
MOI: Insertion by parachute (most likely a C-130 Hercules. Although they could drop out the back of a civillian passenger jet, it's been done before).
-or-
Insertion by chopper, very close to the target. Cobra or Apache for support, they'd complete their mission and get back in the chopper.
-or-
drive in/para in, para drop vehicles, then drive them in

Hope that helped!

Phantom

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #5 on: 21 Apr 2003, 18:55:38 »
there's insertion by boat too.

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #6 on: 21 Apr 2003, 19:05:56 »
You'd almost never parachute from a chopper given that you could land, abseil or fastrope.

Chopper is more desirable than parachute:  safer, starts you in the right place, keeps the team together and its easier to take in more (and more delicate) kit.     Jumping is for when you can't use a chopper.

And sometimes you just walk or drive in from friendly territory.    Or get left behind.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Phantom

« Reply #7 on: 21 Apr 2003, 19:14:16 »
it's not that you wouldn't parachute because you could land, abseil or fastrope, it's, would it be better to parachute. parachute is fine, a HALO will start the team very close together, and i don't know what kind of kit would be to sensitive for an air drop. and jumping is definately not for when you can't use a chopper. jumping is for when you require the what the jump adds to your mission, using a chopper is for when it's the best way in that keeps with your mission, same for everything else.

you can walk in, or drive, but it's unlikely you'll walk if it's very far, and driving is a possibility, but it's hard to stay covert if that's what you plan to do.

and yes, boats are an option. a good one too, if your target is near the coast. but you'd either need to be in and out very fast, or would need to take the boat with you so as not to be ambushed when you return

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #8 on: 21 Apr 2003, 23:42:15 »
Phantom is right.  In the end of the day the only relevant question is which is best for the mission.   The problem your facing is that in OFP it's rarely significant, whereas in RL of course it can make a huge difference.
« Last Edit: 21 Apr 2003, 23:46:22 by macguba »
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Phantom

« Reply #9 on: 22 Apr 2003, 10:12:52 »
i guess the best way to do it would be to choose what's best in real life, and then see how well it applies to the editor, if you have to make major changes for it to work, go down to the next best method of insertion.