Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Teens and the under 18 rule  (Read 2704 times)

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
Teens and the under 18 rule
« on: 31 Mar 2003, 01:08:27 »
  This is in response to the debate under the "want to be a mission reviewer" thread. The debate is on whether or not people under 18 years of age should be allowed to staff OFPEC. I'm not posting this because I want the rule to be changed, but because I think it is an interesting debate, and I have a little to add to it.
  I am currently 18  years old (going on 19 in a few months). Take it from me: there is a HUGE difference between an adult (18+) and a minor (under 18) in terms of maturity. I say this a someone who thought he was mature as little as a year ago, when I was 17. And for a 17 year old, I was fairly mature. But there is a big difference on the way I look at things, make descisions, etc. now that I'm older.
  Now, the question is why? Part of it I'm sure has to do with your situation and experience. I went to Marine Corps boot camp after graduating high school in '02. That was a HUGE wake-up of sorts. Suddenly all those high school/teenage problems seemed so incredibly stupid. Life is very different in HS. You are sheltered from the real world. No rent to pay, no tuition to pay, no worrying about your friends being killed in Iraq. Popularity? Haven't even thought about that since HS.  I used to think I was the smartest guy on the face of the earth. God, it was the worst when I was 16.
  There is also a very real biological reason for all of this. A person cannot actually think like an adult until they are 18. Check it out for yourself here. Be sure to read all three pages.
  I whole-heartedly agree with the 18+ year-old rule the staff at OFPEC have set. I'm even one of those "crazy" people who think that the driving age (in America) should be 18. 90% of the teenagers I see drive like crazed monkeys. My friends used to drive like that, but now they drive like sane individuals.

Well, there's my two cents for ya. Take it for what it's worth.  :D

« Last Edit: 31 Mar 2003, 01:09:41 by General Barron »
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Sol Fire

Re:Teens and the under 18 rule
« Reply #1 on: 31 Mar 2003, 05:14:16 »
i agree but then again it all depends on how you are raised and what environment your raised in

a lot of 14 year olds are more mature then 19 year olds i have seen but they grew up differantly

as for the driving

same here too.. they never learned Responsibility and end up finding out later when they wreck or get a few tickets

it all depends on how your raised and what kind of freinds you have(had)

all these things play a Factor in who you grow up to be

look at me im 15 and i turned out better then my older sister who disrespects our parents/ drives without a liscence etc..

yet this is my opinion and may vary for other people ;)

Offline Dinger

• Contributing Member
  • where's the ultra-theoretical mega-scripting forum
« Reply #2 on: 31 Mar 2003, 06:49:38 »
Uh... these debates are well and good, but:
OFPEC, like the mod site I work with (www.thechainofcommand.net) is headquartered in the UK.  As such, they have to adhere to UK laws.  One of these is a very protective child labour law, which can be interpreted such that soliciting people under 18 to work on a website, even without compensation, violates said laws. And in most places in the world, a website with on-staff contributors under 18 exposes the administrators to a whole mess of liability.
So until someone comes up with a way to absorb all the legal problems, I'm afraid there's no point in debating maturity.
Dinger/Cfit

Sol Fire

« Reply #3 on: 31 Mar 2003, 08:28:01 »
Bloody UK ;D

Offline General Barron

• Former Staff
  • Semper Fi!
« Reply #4 on: 01 Apr 2003, 00:59:56 »
Hmm, I didn't know that, Dinger. How come Sui or Anmac or Black Feather never mentionted that? So, does that mean that in the UK you can't get a job until you are 18? Because that really blows, if thats the case.
HANDSIGNALS COMMAND SYSTEM-- A realistic squad-control modification for OFP
kexp.org-- The best radio station in the world, right here at home! Listen to John Richards!

Offline macguba

• Former Staff
    • macguba's operation flashpoint page
« Reply #5 on: 01 Apr 2003, 01:08:04 »
It's not the case that you can't get a job until you're 18 ... in fact you can get paid work, in certain circumstances, from the age of 12.      The point is, that even if we could solve the immaturity problem, it doesn't necessarily mean that the whole problem is solved.  Even aside from the labour laws, there is all kinds of legislation (not just in the UK) about duties of care and undue influence which are potentially a whole mess of trouble.
Plenty of reviewed ArmA missions for you to play

Offline Sui

• Former Staff
    • OFPEC
« Reply #6 on: 01 Apr 2003, 02:19:21 »
To tell you the truth, I wasn't actually aware of those laws (I an far from being a legal expert, even here in Australia ;))

The fact is this is just one of a large number of reasons... this isn't just a half arsed whim or a 'just cause we feel like it' policy.

Rest assured, the guys in charge are fully appraised of all the aspects and legalities of the situation, and they've made this policy with respect to those aspects ;)

bmgarcangel

« Reply #7 on: 01 Apr 2003, 05:56:34 »
You know i'm 16 years old.  I'm a incredible person in that I know so much and I compete in bike racing.  
  Anyways, I think the law should be changed.  I'm more mature than most of my peers at school and most adults see this too.  You know i'm so in to this OFPEC stuff and other operation flashpoint stuff I want to get more so into it.  I'd like to review stuff and become a part of the Staff.  But sadly because of this law I might not be able to here at least.  
  Now me and 4 other of my friends are currently making a computer server thingy and building a web page with everything.  Fully interactive stuff like forums and news letters and depots and login names and we're getting help from over 41 other people who make professional web pages.  Sure it'll cost alot to have it over the internet but I have a job you know at a computer place down town so no problem because I earn big bucks.  But other than that i'll finally be able to be a staff member ::).  I'll be the main person who leads the site and other people will run forums and depots ;D.  We'll get other experienced people to help us out and stuff but I will be able to run the site and be my own staff member there 8).  
   The website called ofpen or OFP editing needs will open up at the very least in June.  Other than that you know I still want to become a member here, staff that is, and i'm capable of handling it and the maturity level in me is high so its all good you know.  Well, anyways, I think my point being made I hope will change other people's minds about running websites and all the other crap.  

Brendan G.

Uberminch

« Reply #8 on: 01 Apr 2003, 06:07:41 »
*Sigh.  ::) Another pointless excercise in futility. Lsiten, people. The rule will not change. Not now, not ever. Give up. You are wasting your time.

Spend your time on diversions more suited to high school students, such as schoolwork.

bmgarcangel

« Reply #9 on: 01 Apr 2003, 06:28:11 »
School work man. Already do you know.  I'm a perfect A+ student actually.  So ya i'm good and I can focus on other things too you know.

Offline Noon416

• Old Bugger
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 01 Apr 2003, 06:46:56 »
You know i'm 16 years old.  I'm a incredible person in that I know so much and I compete in bike racing.  
  Anyways, I think the law should be changed.  I'm more mature than most of my peers at school and most adults see this too.  You know i'm so in to this OFPEC stuff and other operation flashpoint stuff I want to get more so into it.  I'd like to review stuff and become a part of the Staff.  But sadly because of this law I might not be able to here at least.  
  Now me and 4 other of my friends are currently making a computer server thingy and building a web page with everything.  Fully interactive stuff like forums and news letters and depots and login names and we're getting help from over 41 other people who make professional web pages.  Sure it'll cost alot to have it over the internet but I have a job you know at a computer place down town so no problem because I earn big bucks.  But other than that i'll finally be able to be a staff member ::).  I'll be the main person who leads the site and other people will run forums and depots ;D.  We'll get other experienced people to help us out and stuff but I will be able to run the site and be my own staff member there 8).  
   The website called ofpen or OFP editing needs will open up at the very least in June.  Other than that you know I still want to become a member here, staff that is, and i'm capable of handling it and the maturity level in me is high so its all good you know.  Well, anyways, I think my point being made I hope will change other people's minds about running websites and all the other crap.  

Brendan G.

Well at least if your website works out as you plan it to, then you'll get to learn through experience (like we have) why the necessity exists for a ruling such as this one.

Certainly it will save us having to continue to say "No". ::)
« Last Edit: 01 Apr 2003, 06:52:58 by Noon416 »
"If a man talks in the woods and no woman hears him, is he still wrong?"

bmgarcangel

« Reply #11 on: 01 Apr 2003, 06:48:44 »
Thats nice Noon416 ;D

Anmac

« Reply #12 on: 02 Apr 2003, 10:47:02 »
... why didn't anmac ... say that

Because it's not a debateable subject.

The other topic was locked for a reason.  ::)

Topic locked.