Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: M202 rocket launcher  (Read 1462 times)

Tipigi

M202 rocket launcher
« on: 25 Jan 2003, 08:50:07 »
The M202 is a 4 shot clip rocket launcher that fires HEAT and WP 66mm rockets.  It's probably most famous from the movie "Commando".  It is a real weapon.  I tried a search engine and found plenty of info on it.  The SAS have used it.  This could be a fun weapon in OFP!

Mr_Shady

Re:M202 rocket launcher
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2003, 22:12:56 »
That the box-shaped one with the four rockets? That one that the girl got the wrong way round in the film when she blew the SWAT van up?

Chomps

« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2003, 22:27:11 »
That one that the girl got the wrong way round in the film when she blew the SWAT van up?

That is exactly what I had in mind when I read his post.  ;D

Tipigi

« Reply #3 on: 26 Jan 2003, 04:38:01 »
Yes, it is the one that Rae Dong Chong shot backwards in Commando.

Jakerod

« Reply #4 on: 26 Jan 2003, 19:41:51 »
ya i always wanted one of those... i was gonna have my mod make one but with only one modeler it doesnt go that far. ;D

Ferret Fangs

« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2003, 22:47:46 »
A little known fact regarding the M202A1 FLASH multi-shot launcher, featured in the movie, was actually a "modern" ( early 60's technology ) replacement for the M9A1 fuel-tank type of flame thrower. These, for obvious reasons, were considered far too impractical and dangerous to the troops using it in the field. The M202A1 was loaded with up to four M74 66mm incendiary rockets, each filled with napalm-like fuel slurry compound. It could aternatively be loaded with M96 CS gas rockets for clearing enemy troops from tunnels and bunkers. It never had an anti-armour capability, as the standard disposable anti-tank weapon of choice was the M-72 LAW, already in the inventory.

I've often wondered why this weapon system wasn't retained and updated by the DOD. It could have replaced several weapon systems ( including recoiless rifles ) currently in the inventory at the time, in a mobile, lightweight package. I suppose it could be argued that the LAW allowed more troops to carry an anti-armour weapon in the field, instead of only one or two men in a support squad being armed with the only anti-tank capability.
« Last Edit: 26 Jan 2003, 22:50:04 by Ferret Fangs »