Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Problems with the forums....  (Read 1951 times)

BUNTRO

Problems with the forums....
« on: 25 Jan 2003, 03:53:11 »
I am seeing a lot of replies stating "check the editor depot" and such.  Yes, some topics may be a little over stated, but I think that the users of depot should work more as a community and help one another out for simple requests.  For instance, I just wrote a lengthy reply to a question about how make a cam cutscene and have it follow an object.  The person before me replied, "check the editor depot".  This is rediculous.  If someone asked a question as simple as this, why waste the time to type "check the editor depot" when you could spend a few extra minutes explaining how to do something.  You may not need to go into full detail, but give them an idea of where to start and then suggest to them other sources that they may look at to "spice" things up. Redirecting them to another post would be sufficient, but just saying check out the editor depot is not helpful.  My opinion is that if you are not going to give a useful reply, then don't reply at all.  All of those out there that help the community with learning and making this game as great as it is, my hat's off to you.   :thumbsup:  For all you out there that type "check the editor depot".....here's for you!    :moon:

BUNTRO   :beat:

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
Re:Problems with the forums....
« Reply #1 on: 25 Jan 2003, 11:04:09 »
For that particular thing, make a camera follow an object, there are several scripts and tutorials already in the Editors Depot.
It would take us more time to explain it to you than for you to just click yourself into the Ed Depot snippits, camera & cutscene board, and just select this snippit by snYpir.

That's why 99% of the time the answers are check the ed depot and the forum. And also, did you ever stop to think that maybe the people saying this doesn't know how to do it?
And, even if they did, the easiest way for all parties involved is if you check the ed depot and get the already made script.

This is the case with most questions asked, that they can be found in the ed depot, but more than one time I've helped people out with original scripts. Scripts that I'm more or less certain aren't in the ed depot.

So, in conclusion, you get directed to the ed depot when:
1) We are certain that what you're looking for is already there
2) We do not know how to do it
3) We want to make sure if it's there or not (more often than not it goes "Have you checked the ed depot?" than "go check...")

Now, I'm off.

*rolls around on the floor*
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #2 on: 25 Jan 2003, 19:47:31 »
theres a reason why myself, kotty, wolfsbane and artak spent 5 hours on the nite when the new site was launched uploading and entering questions and tutes...

the fact that some1 has asked a simple question also seems to be reminisent of laziness - they just cant be bothered to check - and this of course is how the editors depot system falls apart - the fact that some1 answers with 'check the editors depot' he is actually answerign the question - the amount of times ive copied some1's question and pasted it into the faq and then given the guy a link is funny - and as kotty said, if they are newbies then they dont know of this system, and so we are directing them...

now of course if the question is slightly more complicated than what you find on the faq or u just dont understand the faq answer, then using the forums is the next step - the editors depot was implemented to relieve the strain on the forums with repeates of the same questions - which basically ground the forums to a halt.

we arent being lazy in our answers, but just trying to make this system more efficient and user firendsly - whats better, getting your answer instantly or waiting for a reply?

cheers.
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jan 2003, 21:12:16 »
lol, that was a crazy night. Wolfsbane hounding us "faster guys, faster, c'mon." and all of a sudden.

WHAM

ISP overload.

lol...

*slips into 'remember silly old things because I'm a silly old fart' routine*
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jan 2003, 21:41:54 »
Here's the One reason why we will always try to re-direct people to the Editors Depot if applicable:

(Well, several reasons, but we put them forward as one)

1: People need to learn how to do things themselves. This Forum became a lazy mans paradise. People would ask, copy and paste the results, and never learn. The Editors Depot forces people to pick up information, techniques, and ultimately learn things, because they have to read, interpret and use the information themselves.

2: It keeps the Forum traffic lively, relevant, and avoids having dozens of the same question being asked.

3: We are basically trying to re-focus the attention from the Forums to the actual site, mainly the Editors Depot. Thus instead of having all these questions and answers in the Forum, which isn't designed to be used as an FAQ, and having people moan "It takes me so long to search for an answer to something in the Forum."
We can say:

"Please check the Editors Depot."

:D
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline Messiah

• Honourary OFPEC Patron & Drinking Buddy of Wolfsbane
  • Honoured Contributor
  • OFPEC Veteran
    • Project UK Forces
« Reply #5 on: 26 Jan 2003, 13:22:41 »
lol, that was a crazy night. Wolfsbane hounding us "faster guys, faster, c'mon." and all of a sudden.

WHAM

ISP overload.

lol...

*slips into 'remember silly old things because I'm a silly old fart' routine*

oh yeah, lol, christ that was scary - 2 hours before opening, and WHATT!!!!!!!!!!! and we sat and twiddled thumbs for a while... aaah those were the days  ::)
Proud Member of the Volunteer Commando Battalion

Gameer_77

« Reply #6 on: 26 Jan 2003, 14:57:54 »
Finally, now's my chance to spout me mouth off. :P

Try this then vet's -

Go into the 'Editing: General' forum, and count how many threads could have been avoided by going to the editors depot or by, which i think is the main problem, searching the forums.

Another annoyance, which by the way, has led me to stop posting as frequently, is when the subject of a thread has absolutely nothing to do with the question. Of course, this isn't a major problem and only effects the person asking the question. :)

I, personally, think there should be some kind of punishing for being this lazy. Cause that's what it is, isn't it? :-\

Gameer

BUNTRO

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2003, 03:52:37 »
My apologies for putting such a hasty mark in the forums the other night.  I was only frustrated because of several items that I have seen with such a reply.  I do understand promotion of the editor's depot and realize that not everything can be answered as simple as I would like it to.  Please forgive my rudeness and misunderstanding.

BUNTRO