Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Model viewer?  (Read 4889 times)

Offline bedges

• Administrator
    • OFPEC The Editing Center
Model viewer?
« on: 01 Oct 2011, 06:31:29 »
Having now dragged myself into Arma2, I'm looking to do some refresher learning in the editor. The first thing I noticed was the massive number of new units in the selection dropdowns.

I'm looking for a model viewer. I know there's an animation viewer, but that's not quite what I'm after. If I need to build one I will, but I just need a script which will point the camera at a rotating unit and allow selection of side/type/etc. and next/previous browsing through the list, so I can see what they all look like.

Has someone made something along these lines yet?
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2011, 16:36:37 by bedges »

Offline ZapBrannigan

• Members
Re: Model viewer?
« Reply #1 on: 01 Oct 2011, 09:29:49 »
i've never seen anything like that.   Cant you just line up all the units on an airfield then save it as a mission?  then any time you need to you can get on a motorcycle and drive around looking at units you need.

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: 01 Oct 2011, 16:26:43 »
I could indeed do it the old-fashioned way, but to be honest I would much rather have a simple interface with which to browse stuff than have to spend hours selecting stuff in the dropdown menus.

In any case, attached is the result of a morning's messing about. Thanks to Clayman for the Animation Viewer, from which I borrowed extensively - what has happened to the dialog controls since OFP?! - and to Sickboy for his config.

I've no idea if I've got the right factions for various things, ACR for example, but whatever. Vehicles will be next, along with rotation control. Any other features you might like, speak up: this is more for me than anything, but if I can make it useful for others, so much the better.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2011, 22:55:13 by bedges »

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 04 Oct 2011, 23:03:16 »
I've moved this here as it's now in a state where it could be useful for others. Find new version attached.

Having explored a bit more of Arma2 it appears that there's an Armoury in which models can be tried, and there's a viewer in there which (in my humble opinion) is a bit shit. The camera rotates around the object, thus moving the rest of the scenery with it. Great for motion sickness; previewing models, not so much.

This viewer has all men, air, armour and car models for all factions of BLUFOR, OPFOR, Independant and Civilian from Arma2 Reinforcements. Obviously that's not all models: there are animals and objects and whatnot. Those will come in time.

Thanks to Sickboy for configs generated by Six Config Browser.

Suggestions for more features welcome. Some pointers on tutorials for the upgraded dialog controls would be great too, especially a default config for all elements, secifically sliders.
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2011, 16:36:19 by bedges »

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #4 on: 09 Oct 2011, 08:46:00 »
Very well done bedges  :good:

Simple, light, fast and very useful. Excellent job.  :clap:

For UI configs get the all in one config from the Community Modding Bible repository.

A few suggestions:
  • Preload the model before placement - if it takes too long in that case, than drop it
  • A complete side filter - "show ALL west"
  • A search filter on the complete list: Like you type in there: "USMC_Soldier" and it shows all matching that part
  • You are missing a couple of vehicle classes
  • Objects would be useful too
  • Instead of hardcoding the list of vehicles, vehicle classes and factions it would be a lot more useful to read it dynamically from the config space
  • It'd be nice to stop the vehicle turning temporarily via keypress/mouse interaction
  • To zoom in/out would be also very useful
  • Use the new safezone UI coding system to use 100% of the view area. The BIF has a few threads that explain it very well how to do that
  • You can use startLoadingScreen to process code as fast as possible (useful for the creation of the lists at the start reading from the config)
  • Show for the selected unit also the descriptionName, classname, weapons, magazines in fields that you can copy to clipboard to (or make buttons along with the SQF command copyToClipboard)

You find a mission attached that contains code how dynamically read from config space.

Hope this helps.  :)

PS: I'd love to integrate your view in my upcoming developer console, if you are fine with it.
Especially if you continue to support and improve the system.  :good:

Offline bedges

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 09 Oct 2011, 16:30:32 »
Thanks for the feedback kju.

If this is useful to anyone in the Community, by all means use it, take it to bits, etc etc. I'll continue to develop it for as long as I need it to do stuff. Current version (see attached) now has all weapons, and a "try" button which enables player to switch into selected unit, board selected vehicle, or try out selected weapon.

Thanks for the config heads-up. It does indeed sound eleganter to dynamically generate models from the config - I didn't know we could do that; every day a school day :)

Missing classes will be next, along with making the dialog design better including rotation and zoom controls. No timescale as RL is hectic once again, but watch this space.  :good:
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2011, 16:37:30 by bedges »

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #6 on: 10 Oct 2011, 07:10:40 »
You are most welcome. Thanks for the update  :clap:

Offline rhymn

• Алена
  • Members
Model viewer
« Reply #7 on: 08 Jan 2016, 13:29:40 »
hello

I would appreciate a lot some tips of how I can make the WoW Model Viewer work for Pandawow.

I get an error saying: ,, Could not read data from MPQ files . I tried to load both the Ru and the EnUS. Still getting the error .

Thank you