Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Would it run on my computer?  (Read 1672 times)

Offline Rytuklis

• Members
Would it run on my computer?
« on: 16 Sep 2011, 18:58:27 »
hey there.
I had downloaded ArmA 1 (Armed Assault) before to check out if it works on my computer. It worked but VERY VERY VERY VERY VERY laggy. I wonder if there is any way reducing the lag, like 3d analyzer or something? I really like ArmA series and im getting bored playing CWA. I just want to make sure that i wont waste my money if it would run like crap on my pc . My specs:

Nvidia geforce 5500FX 258mb
1.5gb of ram
Intel Celeron(R) 2.4GHZ
Windows XP service pack 3

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: Would it run on my computer?
« Reply #1 on: 03 Dec 2011, 06:12:58 »
Um, I remember being able to run Arma on the same PC I ran CWA on. The gig and half of ram will certainly benefit you but I think you fall short in the CPU and GPU areas, which are definitely the most crucial areas.

There is a way to reduce some lag by dropping your settings way down and lowering view distance and disabling shadows, anti-aliasing and other things that are not needed to play. The thing about Arma is that unlike CWA, it doesn't set all island objects at the start of the mission/island load. It places different(simpler models further away and then replaces them with more complex models as you approach). It allows for more complex, largely detailed islands but requires a faster cpu and gpu to process the data that is needed to render each model and it's texture.

If you're getting bored of playing it, you should swap up with another game for a few weeks/months. It'll help you appreciate the freedom and potential of BIS titles. I still do not grow bored of CWA. But then, I have Arma and Arma2CO/BAF/PMC to tinker with too. Most of my time is spent jumping back and forth between unfinished projects in each title. I don't think they'll ever get finished, but the point is that I find it fun and challenging to learn as much as I can.