Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [MP COOP 1-7] The Battle of Zargabad (Updated on March 18th)  (Read 3409 times)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile

Author: SaOk
Version: 1.1
Requirements: ArmA2 Combined Operations (1.57) + BAF/PMC DLC

Mission Description:
Fighting between the Takistan Army and UN peacekeepers have broken out in Zargabad. US/GB reinforcements are facing heavy resistance before reaching the city from the south. Only Echo13 arrives in time.

Features:
-Played as British Infantry Squad
-Overview/Briefing/Gear Choose
-Full voice-acting/custom battleshouting/ambient sounds (total over 300 voicefiles)
-Cutscenes
-Basic infantry action on streets of heavily destroyed Zargabad (offensive, defensive tasks)
-Friendly AI groups fighting with players
-Many sides involved (US, British, Czech, German, UN, Takistan Army, Takistan Militian, PMC, Criminals)
-Indoor fighting (some)
-Ambient Life/Effects
-Perfomance Friendly Methods

Special Thanks:
-Bardosy, Dale0404, Nettrucker, Poacher & SavedByGrace for voice-acting
-Nettrucker for translations
-SavedByGrace for other ambient voices/sounds and english corrections
-Norrin for Revive system
-Tslava for czech language support
-DarkXess for Israeli Air Raid Siren sound
-Tonci87 for Insertion Flight
-Zipper5 for loading screen template
-Big Dawg KS (Building Patrol Script v2.0 was base for altered building patrol script used in this mission)
-Also for all testers

Note:
This is my first attempt to make a COOP version of the single player mission. This worked fine when I tested it alone in the server, but expect massive flaws when played with multiple players. Let me know how it works. I am not fully familiar with MP scripting, but I tried to include all the stuff I knew before.

Changes from SP:
-Minefield creating system removed
-Player group have battlecrying disabled
-Medicpacks removed
-Re-spawning from moving marker added
-Mines added to ammotruck and ammocrate at hill
-More AT-weapons at the hill
-Intro/Outro dosent work in MP mode (still mission starts with a cutscene)

Known bugs:
-In insertion flight, custom voices are heard good only in 3rd person view. (better "vehicleRadio"-command didnt play the voices in MP, so I had to use playsound which seem to have this buggy effect)  
-Spawning was made for SP, I expect clients seeing some spawning from nowhere (I will improve it)
-Mosque&Alarm sounds are currently disabled. Iam going to try to get them work in next version with invisible helipad/say-command combination

Change Log:
Beta 2:

-Heavy changes in scripts/triggers
-Should be one step more compatible with dedicated servers
Beta 3:
-Heavy changes in scripts/triggers
-Intro should be played now only for player that were in server from start
-Clients that come late to server, should receive now correct task data
-Much other changes for clients
-Other tweaks/changes
Beta4:
-Intro issues fixed
-Custom voices now working
-Ambient life fixed
-Crows&Flies now appear for clients
-Many other fixes and tweaks
1.0:
-Added revive system by Norrin
-Added czech language support by Tslava
-Added custom british battleshouting for players by Poacher (a chooseable parameter)
-Chooseable time of day (via parameters)
-POW task fixes
-Ammocrates fixed/tweaked
-Increased difficulty
-Many other changes/tweaks/fixes
1.1:
-Fixed Briefing/Tasks for JIP-players
-Ammotruck gear cargo fixed
-Intro tweaks
-AT-soldier added to airfied

Download:
http://www.gamefront.com/files/20137327/COOPTheBattleOfZargabadCOBAFPMCv1_1.7z

Note (14th March): I managed to play this through alone in dediserver. I tryed to fix all bugs for version 1.0 and added requested content/features. I will probably expand the hill task even more in future and also tweak other tasks to be even more challenging (maybe a difficulty selection via "unit selection screen" parameters).
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2011, 19:46:31 by SaOk »

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: [MP COOP 1-7] The Battle of Zargabad (Updated on March 18th)
« Reply #1 on: 08 Apr 2011, 11:40:03 »
Hello SaOk,

Me and nominesine tried this mission last night and here is a little recap:

Played on: version 1.59, no unofficial addons, hosted server.

Overview and MP lobby: Nice work, picture and text is great, info clear.

Briefing: Good map with all the markers, it really makes you feel that you are about to become part of something BIG. Briefing text is short, clear and concise. No confusing details, just straight forward. A small weapon selection if I remember correctly.

Intro: Camera work and titles are nice, nothing to complain about here.

Mission: We start in a UK chopper flying us towards the airport in Zargabad. Speed and altitude is CRAZY. Is that regular AI or a scripted flight? Works well anyway.

Arriving at the airport we get the choice of defending the gate or a hill 200m south. We chose the gate. Enemies were swarming in, but we took them all out.

We were then ordered to clear the UN building. It was hard getting there at first, might have been a sniper somewhere, not sure. When we finally made it over we had some intense CQB in the building. Got killed several times on the second floor, but we finally won that objective as well.

Next step was a building more towards the center. Here we ran into some amazing fights on the streets. We were pinned down behind wrecks by a Ural AA, but finally got him. Enemies outsmarted us several times, but we made it eventually.

Capturing the Statue area was similar in terms of battle, but still intense and fun.

When we were told over the radio about the enemy counter attack, we moved towards the defensive positions, armed ourselves with RPG's and waited. Tanks and infantry arrived in a massive attack against which we had no chance. This was our doom and we never made it pass that point.

Overall: Really fun and well done mission. Tons of sound files for atmosphere and really the feeling of a large "last stand" battle. We encountered no bugs, none noticed anyway. Sound and objectives got played and ticked off as they should, markers moved and waypoints as well. There was never any confusion about what we were supposed to do or where to go. Good action and atmosphere, who could ask for more in a ArmA2 CO MP mission? The layout of the city (wrecks, bunkers etc.) really looked good and added to the immersion. You must have spent a while placing all that stuff and it worked.

Critique: I prefer the BI First Aid Module, simply because a new leader is assigned when the old leader is wounded. I also personally find base respawn to kill immersion. I would prefer group or side respawn, but then again I think that would probably make this mission too hard. Mission .pbo is also over 10 MB, which may scare away most of the MP players out there. Finally, I would prefer if the music volume was turned down a bit. Music adds atmosphere for sure, but if it is too loud it becomes distracting and annoying. Especially when you don't hear what other players are saying in their headset.

All that said: Great work SaOk!

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 Apr 2011, 17:01:56 »
Thank you much for testing and feedback. :)

Nice to hear there was no bigger bugs. I will check the mission again someday and add a parameter to choose that BI First Aid Module. Also tweak those other things including music. I would like to keep the voice-files in, but I see if I forgot some unneeded files there. I could also try to add even more randomness, and other little details to add replayable rate.

Edit: That insertion flight is a scripted flight. Tonci87 suggested to add that, after there was some problems with AI flying, and made a sample flight which I then added.

« Last Edit: 08 Apr 2011, 17:04:46 by SaOk »

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #3 on: 08 Apr 2011, 17:26:17 »
I would like to keep the voice-files in

I think you should too, the english, german and czech (?) voices really added atmosphere.

10 MB + doesn't bother me personally in a good mission such as this one, but I got negative comments already on 4 MB + on my own MP missions. Wouldn't care much about that though, the mission is very good as it is.
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.