Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Should Author Addons / Missions Be In .EXE Format?  (Read 12078 times)

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
  • Rubber Duckie! Mah rubber duckie!!
    • OFP Editing Center
Should Author Addons / Missions Be In .EXE Format?
« on: 11 Nov 2002, 02:10:56 »
With OFP progressing as a game, this is an issue that has been discussed on many levels. From BIS to the Gamer, everyone has had a bite of this biscuit, so lets put it to the public.

Whenever you want to use a file to play on OFP, you usually have to manually place it into the folder that requires it. This is really not much of a taxing task, but can, at times, become a tad confusing, and certainly can lead to very full, very messy folders, and have you wondering precisely what file does what.

So with the possibilities of releasing the files in an Installer .exe format, should we move onto this new level of professionalism?

The Case For .EXE
  • It's fast and efficient, easy and smooth
  • It allows Launchers and Start Menus / Options
  • It allows more specific directories to be created, and prevents files being placed in the wrong areas

The Case Against .EXE
  • Amature files could lead to corruption
  • It's -always- going to be a security risk, even with a good virus scanner
  • It's simply there for people that are too lazy to figure out where the files should go, and do it themselves

So cast your vote, then let us hear your reply.
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline KTottE

• Former Staff
Re:Should Author Addons / Missions Be In .EXE Format?
« Reply #1 on: 11 Nov 2002, 02:26:23 »
I voted "Don't care", but I'm leaning more towards "No" than "Yes".

.exe installers for huge MODs, like I44 or something (When it's out) or stuff that has a gazillion files that go into a gazillion folders, that's ok. Very nice and handy.

But for single addons, nah.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW What a Ride!'"

asmodeus

« Reply #2 on: 11 Nov 2002, 03:13:53 »
I voted no...

IMO, this should only be used for extremely large or complicated addons/missions/campaigns/mods....  Not for the small stuff.   ;D

My plan is, if I use the .exe format, I will give the option for just a zip file if people prefer that....

Not sure if you were asking in general or asking because you're thinking about using that format for this site...

Asmo

Offline LCD

• Former Staff
    • Everon Cartel
« Reply #3 on: 11 Nov 2002, 03:58:26 »
I voted no also but my reson is not convincing  ;)  ;D

its easier 2 me 2 make da file zip dan makin it an Exe  ;) ;D

so in da name of lazyness i vote no  ;)
 ;D
LCD OUT
"guess being the community has downsides .." - cheetah
Help Perfecting Da Next Best Thing - O-Team Beta

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #4 on: 11 Nov 2002, 04:04:45 »
yes there's nothing to worry about if you have a good virus checker.

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #5 on: 11 Nov 2002, 23:03:34 »
A virus checker is only good, if you keep it updated with the latest vendor updates.....

I generally feel it's something that's a big 'No' for the time being, unless your Mod is, as stated, complicated and difficult to install, IE: Homeland Security.

We shall see how it goes, I'm just looking for public opinion.
The greatest days, with the greatest people.. OFPEC.. The friends are never forgot.

Offline @cero

• Members
  • Yeah! Get some!!
« Reply #6 on: 12 Nov 2002, 00:05:13 »
My "public opinion" ;D is a big no, the reason why is that by doing it manually I know exatlly where they are, for example,addon,  I allways put them into the botom of the addon folder, even after you close the folder the addon is going to stay there in most of the cases, so if this addon screw up my OFP all I got to do is open the addons folder and get read of the PBO, so no corruption stays much longer in my OFP directory.
 Thi is only a example of a cuple of reasons why, but again, I agree that a masive instalation should be done in EXE format, besides, chances are that when addons that big come out they have been tested over and over again by a good lot of people that knows what they doing :) so it won't be many cases of corrupted filles.
Later all.
@CERO.
SCREWBY!!!

Offline Artak

• The old beanbag shaker
  • Former Staff
  • You want to talk about it, yes?
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #7 on: 12 Nov 2002, 00:12:34 »
my opinion and vote is

Nooooooooooo   :noo:

It's fast and efficient, easy and smooth
ok.
It allows Launchers and Start Menus / Options
why would you want those?
It allows more specific directories to be created, and prevents files being placed in the wrong areas
anyone who can't install a normal zipped addon can live without one

Artak lifts his hand up

Amature files could lead to corruption
true.
It's -always- going to be a security risk, even with a good virus scanner
true
It's simply there for people that are too lazy to figure out where the files should go, and do it themselves
true

;D
Not all is lost.

Offline woofer

• Members
  • Honi Sout Qui Mal Y Pense
« Reply #8 on: 12 Nov 2002, 04:54:27 »
Noooooooooooooo

Damn you [in best Charlton Heston voice]

Offline MI_Fred

• Members
  • AA
    • OFP Team Finlanders
« Reply #9 on: 12 Nov 2002, 05:14:25 »
Don't mind my face... I HAVE been waiting for this  :) ...  :(

Sorry, I think I've skipped some .exe classes  ::)
Please don't tell me this is actually taught to youngsters nowadays MI_Fred want's to talk about it to Artak  :'(

Let's see, my favourite point in installing anything to ofp so far has always been an update, and the lowpoint(s^10000)...installing addons. What a pain. Please, I have enough wrinkles and grey hair. They are not sexy.

This would make retarded questions of how to install addons unnecessary. Obvious. Smell this, you could read the readme while installing. Ooh yeah let's save those 5 seconds too shall we.  :)

A virus checker is only good, if you keep it updated with the latest vendor updates.....
so shall you offer those too  ;D . I mean, I see this is the main obstacle for not offering .exe files.

It's a shame there's always sceptic people, make my mind hazy... I give this a gasped yes...
There's gooks over there, there's mines over there, and watch out those goddamn monkeys talk, I'll bite ya.

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 12 Nov 2002, 13:06:02 »
*cough*

Does anyone care about people who don't do mission or addon editing, ie. guys who probably don't bother where to put the installation files as long as the newly installed mission/addon works? When you buy a new computer game would you like to be the install instructions like "put file A to directory B and file C to directory D"?

Many missions and addons suffer from the desease that the creator didn't care about the player (ie. their 'customer') when creating their missions/addons. They use Gunslinger's/Kegety's editor addon without realizing that it makes life only easier for the mission editor but doesn't add any substance to the gameplay. Thus the player has major disadvantages but no considerable advantages, just that the lazy mission editor has less hassle when he creates his mission. And addon editors name their addons like "ITA A.M.I. AMX AA KEY/JOY", which shows that the addon creator didn't think one single second about the player who will read "2, pilot, get in ITA A.M.I. AMX AA KEY/JOY" during a mission.

I just couldn't believe when I read:

Quote:
It's simply there for people that are too lazy to figure out where the files should go, and do it themselves

true

The player, your customer, has every right in the world to be lazy. The simple truth is: If you're too lazy to create a self-extracting exe file to make life easier for your 'customers', do never, ever call them lazy, just because you're the one searching for excuses not to learn how self-extracting exe files are done.

For the player (and that's the only point of view that counts), the advantages of self-extracting exe files greatly outweight their disadvantages.
« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2002, 13:13:53 by Sefe »

Offline Wolfsbane

• Former Staff
    • OFP Editing Center
« Reply #11 on: 12 Nov 2002, 13:15:36 »
So how come you wouldn't Install the one we talked about the other night?  ;)

Offline Sefe

• OFPEC Patron
  • Former Staff
« Reply #12 on: 12 Nov 2002, 13:27:41 »
Why should I install an addon for a MP mission (no matter if ZIP or EXE) when there are tons of MP missions out there that don't need addons? When I d/l a SP mission, the readme tells me which addons I need, which is OK. When OFP auto-downloads an MP mission I don't have the chance to check if I have all the addons I need. I have been kicked out of a MP mission too often because I didn't have an addon and I have seen too few MP missions where user addons really make a difference in gameplay, to install an addon just for an MP mission. This is another symptom of the the-mission-creator-doesn't-care-about-the-player-desease.

Offline Black_Feather

• Former Staff
  • I'll never forget you Daisey.
« Reply #13 on: 12 Nov 2002, 13:30:13 »
lol,Sefe's right though to the ordinary player its a pain in the arse to read the readme and put all the files in the right places.

Skaven

« Reply #14 on: 12 Nov 2002, 14:06:33 »
I vote NO for single addons and missions only, since for MODs it uses so many files and folders, that I see no other option.

For a lot of reasons  ;D

1 There is no way for a person to know if the exe file will work correctely before installing things, it may overight older addons, or even install things in wrong places, altrough we do have our ofpec stamp of quality and fully working, we don't know what the user as downloaded in other websites.

2 Probably a lot of addon and mission makers don't know how to make the .exe file.

3 Probably a lof of people won't install an addon after seing it's an .exe file.

4 The Virus problem.

5 The current installation way, really ain't that hard to understand, I haven't seen many posts in the forum asking how to install addons and missions, so it means that so far I would say 98% of users do find the way to Install things.

A good ReadMe file YES a setup.exe NO  ;)

« Last Edit: 12 Nov 2002, 14:08:56 by Skaven »