Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Haroon1992's Fire Script (with Smoke and Sparks) v0.8  (Read 2089 times)

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
NOTE!!!
NEW VERSION WILL BE UPLOADED SOON.
(CURRENT BUGGY VERSIONS HAVE BEEN REMOVED!)

Here is my fire script for Operation Flashpoint Resistance.
Made with v1.96 of ofp.

(NOT compatible with versions older than 1.46)

Features :

- Fire     (Dynamic color fire)
- Smoke (ArmA or ArmA 2 like smoke,more black than in thsoe games)
- Sparks
- My virtual wind factor
- Damage to the attached object.(Two Modes,see the script for details)
- Userdefined burn length
- Moves with the object

Failed Features :
- (I thought i could check rain in ofp,unfortunatly not and thus the fire will not get put out if it starts to rain!)
- (Wind is the second attempt which also resulted in failure)

Upcoming Features
- Damage to the object. DONE
- Maybe damage to nearby units.
- Put out fire when in water . (Only if the command getposASL can be used in OFP,not yet tried it)

changelog
----------
v0.82
- added damage to attached object feature
- fixed some variable problems
- tweak the look of smoke and fire

v0.8
- initial version (this version)

The Example Mission
The example mission provides you with an idea on where you can use the fire script.
It also shows the functions of the fire script.

Regards,
Haroon1992
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2010, 05:20:33 by haroon1992 »
Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
Re: Haroon1992's Fire Script (with Smoke and Sparks) v0.8
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2010, 17:05:58 »
Hi haroon. To be honest I don't often use or know much about particle scripts, but I thought your project should get at least some feedback.

So far, it looks cool. I have only two complaints:

(1) Your demo mission is hard to understand. In its latest version, it immediately says "West side has won the battle" after the mission loads. Also, reword your hint that says "press the action again in five seconds" to "press the action again in LESS than five seconds." It took me a while to figure that out, because I thought it meant wait five or more seconds.

(2)
NOTE: Only h_fire.sqs is needed , the other scripts are not necessary!

Not so. As of your latest version, it also seems to require h_fire_init.sqs as well. So that the player doesn't have to drag around that extra script, try to set the wind values to a certain default value if the variable hasn't been defined. I.e., check "H_Wind==H_Wind", and if that's false, then define it to [0,0,0]. Repeat process for any other init values you intend to implement.

As for some of the features you intend to implement,

- Maybe damage to nearby units.

This has definitely been done, but I'm not sure if it requires an addon to do efficiently.

If the player makes an "anybody-present" trigger, then the script can call up its list (using either the list or thisList functions) and check if any of its members are close to the fire. Then, damage them accordingly. Of course this won't be able to damage e.g. empty vehicles. :(

Put out fire when in water . (Only if the command getposASL can be used in OFP,not yet tried it)

It doesn't. But there is at least one ASL function in the OFP functions library.
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #2 on: 24 Jun 2010, 05:13:05 »
I tried General Barrons script,which was probably written in 2004, and I wanted to make a (maybe better)
realistic fire script with smokes and sparks.

Infact, his script was the one that inspired me to do this.

I tried to make the fire look like the fire in ArmA / ArmA 2. (well, more efforts was put on the smoke.)
The smoke do look like the one in ArmA 2 (or at least ArmA )
The fire unfortunately is not, because in OFP you can't see parts of an object which is  behind the fire..OR even infront of the fire!!!!!!
If you put a fire deep inside the Abrams belly,you can still see it!!!!

Aside from that , I am happy to give you guys the fire script.

@RCurtz

Sorry for the bugs.
I forgot to remove the trigger killing all east units.

And yes,i forgot to change the hint thing too.

From your feedback, have you even discovered the fire?

And afer reviewing my first post I realized that i forgot to add the new damage feature in the updated mission!!!

I've removed the current version from the attachment.

New version will be uploaded soon......

My new version is in progress and i am trying to implement damage to nearby objects.
(via putting an array though!)

Thanks for reminding me about the mistakes and not updated first post
Regards
Haroon1992
« Last Edit: 24 Jun 2010, 05:28:16 by haroon1992 »
Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 25 Jun 2010, 01:55:05 »
From your feedback, have you even discovered the fire?

LOL yes, sorry I didn't make that clear.

I've never really used particle scripts before, so it's hard for me to say how good the fire is. But it looked okay to me. Good luck on the next version. :good:
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #4 on: 25 Jun 2010, 05:32:16 »
Hey i've got to ask you guys a question,
an important one.

Is there any chance for me to submit things like this to the OFPEC Downloads Section?

Just curious about it because I saw many scripts simpler than mine being submitted there.
(Of course the quality of a script does not depend on its complexity... just asking)

Regards,
Haroon1992

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #5 on: 25 Jun 2010, 17:39:15 »
Is there any chance for me to submit things like this to the OFPEC Downloads Section?

I think there's a chance. I'm with the Mission's Depot so I don't think I have the authority to decide if your script is fit for hosting here. That would be Editor's Depot territory.

As the posting guidelines pinned on this board say,

When your resource has been honed to near perfection and is deemed ready for
general release, submit it to the Editors Depot, where it will be available for use
by the whole OFP community and will be preserved for all eternity, or maybe longer.