Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Is It Possible to Delete Units From Mission.sqm?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline mboshell

• Members
Is It Possible to Delete Units From Mission.sqm?
« on: 28 Apr 2010, 12:40:52 »
FORMER THREAD SUBJECT: MGB4.pbo, Anyone Know Where I Can Get This Addon?

Original Text:

Not sure if this is the proper board for this, but it's not an addon editing question, so it doesn't fit the description of the addons board.

As stated in other posts, I currently don't have my desktop PC and don't have all of the necessary addons to load the missions for the campaign I'm working on.  This mgb4.pbo is preventing me from getting much needed work done as it is in my missions and I cannot find out where I got it from.  I was able to load one mission, but unable to play, so if anyone knows how I can possibly figure out which unit is preventing me from loading because of this addon with the mission.sqm, that would be of great help as well.

Thanks  :)

EDIT: I found this addon in the mission.sqm because it was still there and not a unit that I changed to something else thankfully.  I deleted the sections of the mgb4 unit in the mission.sqm, but still could not load the mission.  I then realized the unit was next to a bunch of tent units on the list, so I guessed what location it might have been in because of where I positioned the tents.  When checking that area in the editor, I noticed some mg bunkers that I knew should have been there that were not appearing on my screen.  Then it hit me.  Mg bunker, mgb...duh.   I was still dumbfounded as to how to get rid of these units that were not there, so I just deleted the mgs that were located in them, and began hitting delete on the area all around them out of frustration.  It worked!  My mission now loads and plays.  So, what I've learned is that if you have a mission that loads in the editor but does not play due to an addon, you must find out where that addon unit is located and delete it, though it may be difficult to find since it is invisible because it did not load in the editor.

I still think it would help in the future if anyone knows an easier way to do this, because I luckily had a machine gun in those bunkers so I knew where they were located.  Is there a way to delete units directly from the mission.sqm?  I tried, but it didn't work.  Again, no rush, I got my missions playing, but I think this may be helpful for the future.  Unless, of course, I'm the only dumb one that gets crazy with addons and forgets where I downloaded them from...lol.

Thanks again  :good:  
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2010, 13:30:59 by mboshell »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: Is It Possible to Delete Units From Mission.sqm?
« Reply #1 on: 28 Apr 2010, 14:46:19 »
Normally, if your addons / mod folder does not possess the proper addons, it will not even allow you load the mission in the editor. Unless you of course delete the particular addon from the addonsauto class listing as well as the unit class listing further down in the mission.sqm as you say you did. If it loaded in the editor but would not preview, there is a chance that you had a script or a mod had a script initialized that was creating the unit in question.

I had a look inside the mod folder that I have for your project and did not see that particular pbo anywhere. You must have added it after the first version.

Glad you got it worked out.

Offline mboshell

• Members
Re: Is It Possible to Delete Units From Mission.sqm?
« Reply #2 on: 28 Apr 2010, 15:34:44 »
Thanks for the reply Savedbygrace.  It was a different mission in the campaign that I was having trouble with.  I didn't need that addon for it anyways as there are already a ton of addons for that "Valley and the Village" mission and I promised there would be no more needed for the campaign.  

The way it worked was I couldn't load the mission in the editor.  Then, I deleted the addons and addons-auto from the mission.sqm in hopes that it was a unit that I had previously deleted from the editor.  After I did this, it allowed me to load the mission but giving me the "cannotcreateunit" error, but did not allow me to play it, giving me the same error.  After that, I scrolled down in the mission.sqm and found the unit class in the list and deleted it.  However, I still could not play the mission because of the error, so maybe I didn't do something properly there.  When I realized what the addon was, and went into my delete invisible unit-frenzy.  It then allowed me to play the mission with no problems.  

If I have this problem in the future, I will delete it in the addons, addons-auto, and unit class in the mission.sqm like you said, and I think that will do the trick. If not, I'll be back with more questions.  Hopefully it won't happen again, as I'm past my irresponsible addon phase...lol.

Thanks again  :)
« Last Edit: 28 Apr 2010, 15:38:41 by mboshell »