Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The Chernarus Run (SP) Version 1.2 - [Review Complete]  (Read 13556 times)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: The Chernarus Run (SP) Version 1.2 - Reviews Please
« Reply #45 on: 30 Jun 2010, 01:39:07 »
Did you have a look upstairs there?
I did partake for a few minutes but I began to feel intimidating with such a big gun among the unarmed.(For the record: I did NOT inhale)

If you visited the Farmer, he offered more suitable options for taking out Heli's.
Yes, I grabbed one from Rog before I ever checked out the farmers pickup. Way ahead of you on that one.

Occasionally the Farmer will get out of his tractor halfway on his journey back to the farm and refuse to come any closer.
That happened the first time I killed Betsy the cow and her guard sheep. The next time (to make sure that that was indeed the penalty), I waited until I made contact with him. As he was headed toward the farm house, I shot up the barnyard and made plenty of work for the butcher the next morning but he didn't seem to notice. I didn't test any further and considered the first instance an AI glitch.

Did you have an encounter with a lady at Electrozavodsk?
Yes and I want my money back! At first I thought she was inside a window at the building diagonally across the street from her corner because thats where I was when she spoke to me. It wasn't until I poked my head out of the fence that I spotted (and almost shot her) on the corner.

I guess you know that you have a parachute when you take a ride in the Heli
I didn't know until I read one of your replies in another forum. That's what I may try next to see if there is a way to safely land inside the fence.

You could try the ambulance run
This I'll try after the para drop.

Most groups and vehicles that are not relocatted are deleted.
The lines of barrels could use your attention at least.

I'll keep you posted on my current and future play tests. Just because I know how authors love to hear feedback about how players interacted with their missions.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #46 on: 01 Jul 2010, 00:17:21 »
I tested the extract chopper again. You are right, it dosent hit trees. It flies over those, but right after the chopper just explodes. It seems like a Ka-52 that patrols sky over Chernagorks, shots it down everytime at the same position. UH60 dives down first when I think they spot each others and then it just takes some seconds until a missile hits the target. I cant see the missile, but I dont have much other ideas why the chopper explodes unless you set damage for it via some script.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #47 on: 01 Jul 2010, 01:30:07 »

Hi SaOk,

Did you call the Heli when you reached the extraction point or earlier?
Did you actually see the Ka-52 and if so did it follow you from the City?
The Ka-52 patrols over the city after the assassination and is not supposed to go near the airport - I do not know whether its possible that it did see you and follow you using its own Ai. If it did then it seems as though  circumstances have conspired once again against you.
Perhaps it could be looked at as just bad luck - a 1 in 100 chance that could occur.
But this kind of thing seems to happen to often to you.  :(

Did you manage to go to the city this time to carry out the assassination?

Have you a saved game a bit further back before the kill to see if this odd combination (with the Ka-52) happens again.

About the V1.07 business - by rights the update should really make no difference to V1.05 missions - if it does then all missions would be affected - I will try the major senarios in the mission anyway to see.

Thanks for the reply and info.

Regards

Arkon

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #48 on: 01 Jul 2010, 11:49:01 »
I called the Heli from different places (before extration point, at extration point and at crash scene). There is no sight of Ka-52 and I cant even hear it, but maybe the 1.07 patch have increased the distance how long the AI pilots can see - They may just spot the enemy chopper from miles away and fire a missile. The easiest way to fix this, would be to make the chopper and crew captive and also maybe immortal.
Code: [Select]
{_x setcaptive true; _x allowdamage false;} foreach crew choppername; choppername allowdamage false;
This was the old game, I havent started a new game yet, but I could try this mission also with Operation Arrowhead (as Combined Operations with ArmA2 content) which have version 1.52. At the end I dont think that there is much new bugs coming with different game versions. Only the detection distances and AI flying/driving can change slightly. I have been testing my own missions with different game versions and all seems to work like before.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #49 on: 01 Jul 2010, 13:59:47 »

Hi SaOk,

I do not think its the Ka-52 that is doing the damage - would it be possible to e-mail me the .SQM file?
There are no scripts involved with the Heli at this point, just Triggers and Waypoints. So if there is any setdamage it must be in the SQM. I cannot find it in my SQM, but the only way to be sure is to look at yours.
Or, you could search the SQM yourself - the Heli's name is "pickupheli" you should find 1 "setdamage 0".

Regards

Arkon

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #50 on: 01 Jul 2010, 14:18:27 »
I found it - Pickupheli have damage set to 0 when player is in, but there is no other setdamage commands before that.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #51 on: 01 Jul 2010, 14:37:56 »
SaOk,

Ok, that rules out the setdamage option. Is the Heli, well clear of the ground (how far up) and trees when it explodes?

Arkon
« Last Edit: 01 Jul 2010, 15:58:51 by Arkon »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #52 on: 01 Jul 2010, 16:20:37 »
Chopper flies only about 0.5-1m higher than one big orange tree is tall. After going over the tree, the chopper still flies about 2-5 meters before it explodes on air.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #53 on: 01 Jul 2010, 17:11:25 »

SaOk,

I found the orange tree and watched what happened - I saw that The Heli only just cleared the tree so I have made the FlyInHeight 60 - but, cannot see why your Heli is exploding - you could change the FlyInHeight to 60 in the waypoint near the tree to be sure its not the tree causing the problem, but, of course your save game would not reflect this - I guess you must be getting a bit tired of all this messing around  :(
So I understand if you want to pass at this point...

Not sure where we can go from here as I cannot seem to replicate what is happening to you.

Regards

Arkon

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #54 on: 02 Jul 2010, 11:11:30 »
The easiest way would be to make the chopper behaviour careless and crew captive. And also use that FlyInHeight 60. Then nothing will attack the chopper ever (even in theory) and the chopper pilot would just transport the player without careing about any hostiles. The UH60 gunners will still shoot even with "careless"-behaviour, so they wouldnt be too unresponsive when spotting possible enemy infantry.

I will halt the testing now and wait for next mission version.

Edit: Btw. I will be on vacation trip from 6.7 to 14.7. Testing more after that if not before.
« Last Edit: 02 Jul 2010, 11:59:49 by SaOk »

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #55 on: 04 Jul 2010, 18:06:15 »

Hi SaOk,

Ok, have updated mission with your suggestions - FlyInHeight and set captive.

Regards

Arkon

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #56 on: 04 Jul 2010, 18:25:56 »
There is no download link (yet) on first post. I could start a new game tommorrow but the feedback will delay to sometime after 14.7.

Edit: k, now there is the link.

Btw. It could be better to change the version number everytime there is a new version to avoid possible mix ups with older files on testers side.
« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2010, 18:29:36 by SaOk »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #57 on: 04 Jul 2010, 18:40:20 »
In closing,
This mission has potential but In my opinion as a tester needs some serious adjustments to lower the FPS in Chernogorsk. Perhaps it runs on your machine and that of your own personal testing team but if the masses are experiencing problems with the FPS, you should do something to correct that. Otherwise, why even submit it to the community?

Your story has a good flow so far but the action is limited at the main objective by frame rate. Regardless of what I try and how many times I try it, my FPS makes this a very frustrating part of the mission. I also keep having to restart Arma2 because of the amount of game freezes that are occurring. I am forced to stay on the outer limits of the city and attack with a strela which takes out the chopper but the officer is parachuting out into the middle of that massive stockpile of frame rate punishment. I have attempted many times to complete this mission in many ways but because of the FPS spike and game freezes, I have decided to halt anymore testing until (if you decide to) remove many of those beautiful but very unnecessary objects from the city. I found several ways into the city beyond the barbed wire but was unable to get past the game freezes to enjoy the potential challenge. Anyway, sorry for such a poor report but I could never recommend this mission to anyone in it's current state. Good luck in the future pal.

P.S.
The original objective was to discover who the American spy was, if that is reserved for a sequel I'm thinking you may have given away a valuable twist too early.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #58 on: 04 Jul 2010, 19:10:29 »

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #59 on: 04 Jul 2010, 19:59:54 »
Hi savedbygrace and SaOk,

if the masses are experiencing problems with the FPS
Very few people have said that the game is unplayable on the Forums beacause of FPS maybe 4 or 5 out of 1600. (in fact we have had many commendations about this mission on various forums without any mention of FPS).
Ok, that may be somewhat misleading but one has to remember that different people have different specs and different configs/options - I would be interested to know what yours are. I have just done a test at Chernogorsk without anything being deleted as it is by the time that one reaches the city. Yes, a fairly lousy 15-20 FPS (low settings) but not completely unplayable and I guess my config could be judged as just below average. Using V 1.07 (has 1.07 been tweaked for performance etc?) (have you tried lowering your setings?)

I also keep having to restart Arma2 because of the amount of game freezes that are occurring
Again this is similar to the above situation. (V1.07 is supposed to fix some of the more common crashes I believe)

I am forced to stay on the outer limits of the city and attack with a strela which takes out the chopper but the officer is parachuting out into the middle of that massive stockpile of frame rate punishment
I would have thought that if you shoot the Heli down away from the city it would have helped the FPS?

The original objective was to discover who the American spy was, if that is reserved for a sequel I'm thinking you may have given away a valuable twist too early
If one follows the storyline then all will be resolved on completion of this mission.

Thanks again to both of you gents for all the time and effort that you have given - please feel free to make objective suggestions as I will implement suggestions where i can.

Regards

Arkon