Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: The Chernarus Run (SP) Version 1.2 - [Review Complete]  (Read 13917 times)

Offline Arkon

• Members
Re: The Chernarus Run (SP) Version 1.2 - Reviews Please
« Reply #30 on: 28 Jun 2010, 00:20:28 »

Hi SaOk,

Okay, I will try the mission again with Operation Arrowhead if the problem comes with that too
I thought Operation Arrowhead was using new maps etc - I do not think my mission will be compatible.

Overview needs a picture
I'll sort this one.

Error in expression <__waituntil = _time+(;60)>
Is this coming up in-game (remove -showScriptErrors) or from the arma2.RPT file?

Soon after that the alarm is raised and chopper lift off to air even when the enemy havent spotted me
Do you mean at the Ambulance Base? if so, then when the alarm goes off you have been seen - what version was you using when this happened?

Briefing could have a insertion marker
If you read the ReadMe included you will see that the mission's recommended playing Difficulty is "Regular". This means that the player marker will be visible on the map - for those who choose "Veteran" GPS is provided.

I'll get back to you on the rest of the points in your last post soon.

Thanks

Regards

Arkon

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #31 on: 28 Jun 2010, 11:53:05 »
You can play orginal ArmA2 trought Operation Arrowhead with all new features, but I think the AI flying is still the same as in 1.07. The all error messages that I attached earlier in txt and that "Error in expression <__waituntil = _time+(;60)>" are displayed with (-showScriptErrors). Its good to show the small errors in scripts. I think almost all erros from your mission are easily fixed and maybe those also bring little better FPS. Sometimes the script errors could even cause extra slow down that continues trought the mission.

That "Error in expression <__waituntil = _time+(;60)>" came when I enter Chernogorsk to hunt the colonel. Soon after the message, he boards the chopper and tries to fly away. The alarm there seems to be launched when player is near, not when he is spotted.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #32 on: 28 Jun 2010, 15:58:34 »
Hi SaOk,

That "Error in expression <__waituntil = _time+(;60)>"
Hmmmm... I cannot find that error in either the SQM or any of the scripts. But I can see that the double underscore before the waituntil command and the ; before 60 would both cause errors.

1) Are you using V1.05 or not?

2) Did you go meet Colonel Dubrovka on Skalisty Island

3) Ok, You should get a message when you enter Chernogorsk telling you the approximate depature time of Colonel Krudicz - the Colonel will leave roughly when the message predicts (20-45 minutes) - did you get a message?

4) Colonel Krudicz will leave in anycase after a few hours after your meeting with Colonel Dubrovka - Colonel Dubrovka gives you an idea when this will be (partly randomized)

5) If you kill a certain number of Russians in Chernogorsk then Colonel Krudicz will leave prematurely. As predicted by Colonel Dubrovka.

6) Also if you kill any of his close Officers (standing outside the Hotel) or any of his personal Pilots Colonel Krudicz will leave immediately.

The alarm will always go off when he leaves.

BTW. Thanks for all the time and help  :good:

Regards

Arkon

« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 18:38:08 by Arkon »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #33 on: 28 Jun 2010, 17:12:15 »
Script helioruaz.sqs, line 10 ;)
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jun 2010, 17:38:28 »

Hi h-

Well spotted  :good:

So, I can see that ";60" is an error but that is just one part of the line?
: (__waituntil = _time+(;60)>)

I think this is another error... I cannot find the whole line with the underscore/; errors

Regards

Arkon
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 17:42:02 by Arkon »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #35 on: 28 Jun 2010, 19:44:55 »
1)Error come with 1.05(with late beta) and 1.07
2)Yes
3)I havent got close enought the get that message. I met the farmer and walked right side about 150m from road until that error came and about half minute later the chopper lift off and I shot it down when it came outside of the chernogorsk.
4)It tooks less than 20min for me to shot down the colonel chopper after meeting Dubrovka.
5)First time, I killed quite many in military boatbase and second playtime in Elekrogorks medic camp. Maybe that caused then the chopper lift off with alarm without them detecting me.
6)I havent got that near without getting killed.

And nope. I have enjoyed to play this. Hope to see a new mission version for this with fixed extraction chopper, so I can play this trought. :)

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #36 on: 28 Jun 2010, 20:24:52 »
Hi SaOk,

Error come with 1.05(with late beta) and 1.07
As said before not optimised for 1.07 but i am unsure wether a 1.05 beta would be different from final 1.05.

I havent got close enought the get that message. I met the farmer...
Ok, well there is a big problem here as Colonel Krudicz would not leave the Chernogorsk before you entered it unless you had taken several hours after meeting Colonel Dubrovka.

First time, I killed quite many in military boatbase...
Colonel Krudicz's decision to leave based on Russian deaths only applies to the Russians in Chernogorsk itself.

What happened at the ambulance base did you try to take the ambulance or get a ride in the Heli?

And nope. I have enjoyed to play this
I know its a pain but I think the best solution for you might be to start the mission again and use (V1.05 final)
Redoing the mission gives you some other options like going to the Airport near Krasnostav to try to steal a Heli. Also there are several other senarios and encounters that you may have missed before (Look out for the traitor Draco at the castle where you meet your first contact - he is the one who fires the initial flare at the ambush). You would also still need to go to the lighthouse and see Colonel Dubrovka again. Perhaps you could visit the Hunter too if you have not done so before.
Doing the assassination is the most difficult but exciting part of the mission, so its sad that you have missed out so far.
Hope this helps, sorry, but I just don't know what else to suggest  :(

Regards

Arkon

« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 20:29:58 by Arkon »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #37 on: 28 Jun 2010, 20:52:22 »
You may have some extra work, but it would be important to have that extraction chopper part compatible with 1.07 version. Most players are already using it and its difficult to go back since also the Operation Arrowhead force to patch the vanilla game to 1.07. I cant write a full mission review, give good points and say that the mission works only with some old arma2 version (that also brings back the much worse FPS and other game bugs). At the end you probably only need to change the speedmode for that crashsite waypoint from "limited" to "normal" and maybe increase the flyingheight little just for sure.

Edit: At that Ambulance base, I tried to board the medic chopper but it seemed to be locked. Then I jumped in medic bmp and drive to beach where I found some nice quicker rubber boats to use when heading to islands. 
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 20:57:30 by SaOk »

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #38 on: 28 Jun 2010, 21:11:26 »
So, I can see that ";60" is an error but that is just one part of the line?
: (__waituntil = _time+(;60)>)
The error message is coming from the game "internals", ~ means waitUntil for the game engine (the double underscore means it's a reserved variable used by the game engine scripting interpreter or what ever the fancy name for it is), it's probably something like __waitUntil = _time + the amount you set in the script but as you had the typo there the syntax fails causing the error.
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #39 on: 28 Jun 2010, 21:29:35 »
Hi, SaOk, h-

h- thanks for clearing that up :)

You may have some extra work, but it would be important to have that extraction chopper part compatible with 1.07 version...
Ok, I can see where you are coming from here - problem is this mission took 6 months of non-stop hard labour to put together and going by past experiece you can bet if there is one thing that has changed and caused a problem (with 1.07) then there is probably 100 - I finished this mission nealry 2 months before 1.07 and have been waiting ages for a review. I guess I could try and fix the Heli problem with 1.07 but I'm pretty sure it would mean a tremedous amout of re-testing as this is a very complicted and involved mission. Anyways I'll give it a try I guess - I will let you know how it goes.

At that Ambulance base, I tried to board the medic chopper but it seemed to be locked
Did you call the Heli with your radio message first to get the pilot to unlock the heli when he flies off?

Thaks again

Regards

Arkon

« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 21:36:39 by Arkon »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #40 on: 28 Jun 2010, 21:50:22 »
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 21:57:48 by SaOk »

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #41 on: 28 Jun 2010, 22:22:28 »
Hi SaOk,

I just installed 1.07 and the Heli worked fine at the extraction point...  ???
Tried 5 times...

Immediate oddity - in the Radio I now have "**** TD TRANSLATE *" in each of my 8 empty slots - this is an example of what I meant about  lots of differences between versions...

I didnt know there was a radio message to unlock that medic heli
Yes, The Hunter tells you when you meet him and he explains how to get aboard the Heli etc... its also stored in your recallable conversations in the Actions Menu... But of-coarse if you killed the pilot then that would explain it to...

BTW... You are not using ACE or any add-ons i take it?

Regards

Arkon
« Last Edit: 28 Jun 2010, 22:55:49 by Arkon »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #42 on: 28 Jun 2010, 22:45:38 »
I play without any mods and addons. I will test that heli part more (tested already 4 times). I still have a savegame for that. There was an enemy attack chopper flying over the chernarus, but I didnt see the extract chopper getting any hit from it. I try to move closer to the crashsite before calling the chopper to see what really happens.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #43 on: 29 Jun 2010, 02:59:50 »
Arkon,
I thoroughly tested this mission off and on all weekend for you as I have read the threads in the other forums and don't see much feedback that gets past the first meeting with the exception of one or two guys. Those guys focused primarily on weapon weight and distance to travel being issues among a few others nit pick stuff but none have given you the feedback that is needed to find the errors and problems that are unknowingly induced into your mission while editing. That's why we test missions the way we do, to help you improve your project to a point of offering a solid playable mission for years to come.

In any case, I have played in recruit and veteran and restarted and retried many times, trying to test every area that you built up. I have yet to update to 1.07, so I'll give you feedback based on 1.05 right now.

Overview
Glad you plan on adding an image.

Mission
Skipping the insertion and meeting at the castle...
Travel idea(just an idea mind you)
I refuse to travel by vehicle in a stealth mission simply because it ruins the purpose of the stealth. If you had implemented some traveling civilians in big trucks that I could have secretly hitched a ride in the cargo area (while they were stopped at a stop sign) from one area to another without them knowing, I would have immediately taken advantage of it. (It provides an excellent way to recon under cover).

Draco?
I avoided the chopper at the castle ruin and ran like heck toward the southwest. I was resting, prone between a tree and bushes when a lone officer ran by me on the road (near a town). I wondered what that was about till I read some of the other posts in the other forum threads. (I knew I should have put a bullet in that guy...he looked suspicious...why must I have a conscious?!! :D)

Ahem, anyway. I make my way south, avoiding all towns and roads until I reach the edge of the woods at Electrozavodsk. I hear an explosion near the road @ 101123. One truck is on its side in flames with dead men spilled into the street while another is 50 meters southwest of the road upside down in a ditch but not damaged. After I have replayed this mission dozens of times and approaching from different areas, that same wreck occurs and there are always a couple of soldiers left alive. Was this your plan?

Electrozavodsk
After my many plays, I have sniped that lone soldier on the pier southeast of Electrozavodsk without ever being detected, with the island waking, M107. But on my current playtest, I stopped at the Rog castle and re-equipped with a M4A1HOLOSD, HE grenades and a Strella. I made my way to Electrozavodsk again using my usual observe and move tactics, making sure there were no additional troops in town. I sneak up on the guy and am about 100 meters away before popping him in the head with a bullet from the silenced M4. A few seconds later (to my very surprise) the alarm at the Medical facility began to sound off. I thought..."What? Are you serious?! Surely that rooftop guard could not see me from across the city. Surely the dead guy did not hear that muffled muzzle and radio in before it made mush of his brain." A few minutes after that, I hear a truck arriving and stopping somewhere in the city. "Wait that never happened before, I've set that alarm off a few times and no one ever responded."(They must have been passing through when the alarm sounded because I have seen a transport full of troops pass through before) So, as a starving dog drawn to scraps, I was drawn toward that direction. When I reach the first house, I can see the troops running from that direction and they move toward the docks where I shot fast fingers Fred (who made the call as the bullet passed through his skull :dry:). They checked it out and returned to the medical facility where I am now going to allow my curiosity to kill me. More on that later I suppose.

Medical facility
I know I am going out of order but I have played so many times that I am just sticking to areas.
The guards are good but they're two guys sitting on a motorcycle in the field west of the facility, trying to start it occasionally with no success. I was able to locate the missing fence section, infiltrate undetected, make my way around the east side(away from helo) shutting doors along the way and take out the front gate guard with no other eyes on me with my silenced M9. I attempted to hide his body but obviously the concrete was hard to dig up ;) . It still put the other guards in aware mode, though none spotted me. I call for medic and it takes about 3 minutes for the pilot to board the chopper. He exits the facility through the east wall I presume(since I had shut the door on that wall), runs around the north side of the structure before dashing across the yard and getting in on the opposite side of the helo. (Maybe rotating the chopper 180 would prevent this? I don't know). Anyhow, as he dashes across the compound yard toward the helo, I shut the double doors, obscuring the view of the other guard inside and am able to get on board while he is starting the engines. All this before the perimeter guard reaches the front gate again.(FREE RIDE!)More on this later...

Lighthouse
Worked right every time.

Skalisty island
Was bugged the first test through but has worked fine ever since.

The Hunter
Same here.

The Farmer
I remember reading about how he likes his animals so I shot a few of them to see if there would be a penalty. There wasn't.  :(

Boatyard
I watched a 12 man squad walk right through the town and on north toward the next city. I took out the 4 men guarding the area and decided against getting in a boat at that point.

Airfield
This one was more difficult than it looked. I used complete stealth in my approach, popped the guard in the linekeepers box at the entrance when he walked away from the tarmac and out into the field(away from all eyes and ears) Yet, the alarm still sounded immediately. Same thing for the sniper and spotlight on the roof at another retry. And also for the dog inside the door of the traffic control tower. The guy on the top floor spoke to me and then surrendered while I was on the second floor and he was on the top floor with he and the sniper outside were still armed. Perhaps you could make it so if the sniper is not dead, he won't surrender so easily? Also, once the alarm sounds, the spotlight shines on the players position regardless of whether or not he was actually spotted.

Chenogorsk
I was disappointed when the time remaining, suddenly leaped from hours to less than one when I got close to the city. That completely ruins the players planned attempts to infiltrate the city and get close enough by using stealth (AND PATIENCE).
Back to the FREE RIDE... When the helo from the medical facility landed (with me in cargo), I was skeptical of getting out. I just knew that I would disembark on the south side and that gate guard would empty his clip into my behind. If I happened to get out on the opposite side, I was sure he would spot my feet and open fire as well. I was surprised and relieved to discover that none of that happened. Once I was out, I hit the dirt and hoped that he nor the pilot would not spot me as I crawled toward the nearby building. It was nice to make it safely. BUT, I now had a shorter time frame to deal with. This was annoying since you completely loaded the city with objects, guards and patrols ready to shoot anyone that farted and the FPS dropped to a stutter. All those objects actually do lower FPS btw. I ended up making it through a portion of the city and having to kill only one corner guard with my M9(which did not set off an alarm, amazingly :D) I made my way to a building south west of the heliport which had a sniper on one of the upper floors. I took him out with my M9 but not before he got a shot off with his rifle. That didn't alert anyone either. Whew. I was set and in place and was trying to locate where the dude was (this was my very first test...after the bug incident...and I never made it to the farmer to know about the antenna tower when I jumped onto the outgoing medical helo). Anyway, I heard the chopper start up, spotted the dust above the roof tops and sighted in the ridge line but the helo was too fast and I know I got a few shots on the fuselage but didn't even dent it. I hated the M107 at that point because even had I taken that pilot out, I would never had made it out alive with that big hammer in tow. Restart.

After that, I decided to avoid the medical facility altogether and try different approaches. The next one being by boat. I went far out to sea, and then used the ship to conceal my approach. Once I rounded the stern, MGs opened up. I was able to get away and to the next city where troop transport caught up to me and we had it out....I lost. Retry from last save.

I approached by foot from the farmers home and crawled to an abandoned construction site on the east side, took out a lone over watchman and attempted to crawl in through a gate on the southeastern road but was drilled by a tank. Retry from last save. I attempted a tower assassination but the helo again, was too fast for the recoil of that M107.

Overall
I truly love missions that challenge my tactics and patience but I hate it when timers are applied to those missions. The two just don't go together. My suggestion is to never change the leave time of the colonel. Make it a set time(reliable intel), and allow the player to use his mind to adapt. If the player does not make it in time, its his fault, not yours.
Having the target leave early when the player is detected is completely reasonable but how can the player be successful when the death of any lone unit sets off the alarm? My suggestion for this is to have a delay for smaller bases, camps and compounds that symbolizes the other soldiers missing the dead soldiers radio report. For larger cities like Chernogorsk, not every unit will carry a radio and not every unit will be accounted for every hour of the night. They have to sleep with whores and gamble their wages away somehow, right? Place detection triggers only in certain areas, where communication is likely to be tight.
MG's, over watchmen, patrols, corner guards and lite vehicles with gunners are good, challenging defenses against a lone operative trying to practice stealth. Parking all that armor at gates is overkill, I think.

Your object placement is appreciated but I think you're going to have to rethink the way you've built things. Everything seems to be placed from the start, which slows all other areas down. Spawn scripts should be used to separate the population of each AO to prevent so much lag. That way if the player never makes it to a place, it never populates. The objects(trucks, fencing, and everything else) in Chernogorsk is pretty but does remove from the appreciation factor of your mission since it becomes frustrating to even be close to that beauty. I would advise removing the fencing and lessen the amount of objects that you have decorating the place. Also, I noticed at the boatyard and airfield that your barrel pallets were dubbed (two of each placed together). I'm not sure yet if this is the same in Chernogorsk. You may want to think about going through there and deleting the extras at the least.

Closing
I'm still testing it(right now at the medical facility again) and will figure out a way to infiltrate that city undetected aside from the chopper. I may have to lower my settings to get it to where it is enjoyable but I shouldn't have to do that. I'll update you on that later.

6 months or more is not such a long time on a project if your willing to make it the best it can be. And though you have had over 1500 downloads, you have had very little feedback. This is not something that you should use to dismiss the findings of others.

Offline Arkon

• Members
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jun 2010, 20:12:35 »

HI savedbygrace,

Let me first say thank you very much for the time and effort you have spent  :dry:

I refuse to travel by vehicle in a stealth mission
Yes, a good idea but as i had the player hitching a ride in the back of a Heli later on... and I have found that a lot of players complain when having to walk more than a few hundred yards. Lazy gits!

Draco
Draco has a part to play whether or not the player sees him (he does carry a bit of interesting info though)

After I have replayed this mission dozens of times and approaching from different areas, that same wreck occurs and there are always a couple of soldiers left alive. Was this your plan?
Yes, I'm afraid so. Its a staged scene and I guess if you pass that way repeatedly it may go a bit stale. I don't mind staged events here and there as oposed to dynamically spawned events in which accuracy and detail are lost.

I stopped at the Rog castle and re-equipped
Did you have a look upstairs there?

Surely the dead guy did not hear that muffled muzzle and radio in before it made mush of his brain...
This is the old problem with knowsabout.

He exits the facility through the east wall I presume(since I had shut the door on that wall), runs around the north side of the structure before dashing across the yard and getting in on the opposite side of the helo...
Tried all sorts here the Pilot has a mind of his own and insists on going the longest way to the Heli.

I remember reading about how he likes his animals so I shot a few of them to see if there would be a penalty . There wasn't.
Occasionally the Farmer will get out of his tractor halfway on his journey back to the farm and refuse to come any closer.

Also, once the alarm sounds, the spotlight shines on the players position regardless of whether or not he was actually spotted
The knowsabout sez that you was spotted.

I was disappointed when the time remaining, suddenly leaped from hours to less than one when I got close to the city
Ok, I can see that this may seem out of order at first glance (the time left varies depending on how far you are away from the Colonel's location when you arrive) with a small random element - but after 100s of tests I found that there is ample time as just about all players have to refine there attempts to complete the task (although it can be done on the first attempt) Also the are many ways to complete. I have actually seen the task completed in less than 10 minutes using a certain tactic - and of course you do not even have to enter the city to complete. But stealth is mostly essential anyway.

Anyway, I heard the chopper start up, spotted the dust above the roof tops and sighted in the ridge line but the helo was too fast and I know I got a few shots on the fuselage but didn't even dent it
If you visited the Farmer, he offered more suitable options for taking out Heli's.

I approached by foot from the farmers home and crawled to an abandoned construction site on the east side
Again, a good option but you needed the correct weapons see above  ;)

I truly love missions that challenge my tactics and patience but I hate it when timers are applied to those missions. The two just don't go together. My suggestion is to never change the leave time of the colonel. Make it a set time(reliable intel), and allow the player to use his mind to adapt. If the player does not make it in time, its his fault, not yours
You have my sympathy, but this is one of those subjective things, a matter of personal taste - for my part I could not string a player along and then say "em your out of time start again" save games notwithstanding.

Having the target leave early when the player is detected is completely reasonable but how can the player be successful when the death of any lone unit sets off the alarm?
This sounds like a bug if you are reffering to Chenogorsk - this city has a different system to the other places with alarms. Colonel Krudicz will only leave in certain circumstances: If a number of troops are killed within the city, if you kill any of his close Officers (standing outside the Hotel) or any of his personal Pilots Colonel Krudicz will leave immediately, If time is up etc. The alarm should only go off when he leaves.

They have to sleep with whores
Did you have an encounter with a lady at Electrozavodsk?

Parking all that armor at gates is overkill, I think
Not many people are going to try to get in through them gates unless they steal the ambulance. But I think it is sensible to guard the main entrances to the city in this way in anycase.

You may want to think about going through there and deleting the extras at the least
Most groups and vehicles that are not relocatted are deleted.

I'm still testing it(right now at the medical facility again) and will figure out a way to infiltrate that city undetected aside from the chopper
You could try the ambulance run - or I guess you know that you have a parachute when you take a ride in the Heli  ;)

6 months or more is not such a long time on a project if your willing to make it the best it can be. And though you have had over 1500 downloads, you have had very little feedback. This is not something that you should use to dismiss the findings of others
I appreciate what you are saying here: 1) that's 6 months x 8 hours x 7 days a week: 2) 1500 downloads and feedback from a few other sites + I had 3 guys testing locally for weeks on end before posting here. I got a guy to basically write a story too, as its fundimental to the mission. What I have learnt over the years (this is the 3rd incarnation of this mission which started with Flashpoint, Arma, ArMa 2) is that the engine is finicky, 40 times it will run a script and all will work fine, and then out of the blue with nothing changed it fails to do what it did before. This can happen with the simplist of things and there is no logical explanation, its very frustrating and at least doubles the sweat, tears and time consumption with mission creation. This is nothing to do with propper mission testing. So, I'm not dismissing what happens to people, more often than not is is a local issue. Although sometimes the combination of events encountered can catch one out. But, to this end I have built in fail-safe systems of the meetings where the player receives important information enroute incase of a failed variable etc.

I'm not sure where I am going with this mission as I have put so much thought, time and energy into it and I do sometimes question whether its worth it.

Anyways, thanks again for your thorough post, I have learnt a lot from your thoughts an suggestions.

Please keep on with the feedback,

Regards

Arkon