Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [MP coop 1-8] Ambush convoys V1-9  (Read 5818 times)

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
[MP coop 1-8] Ambush convoys V1-9
« on: 10 Jan 2010, 11:44:01 »
Hi, beta testers!  ;)

I've got some new stuff for you!
(future campain mission 2)

Another episode of my future campain!

Here's the context:

You did a great job at Lopatino and the airport!
Unfortunately, you've got no time for rest: your men are the only armed forces present in the north of Chernaruss as Us intelligence informed us that convoys are en route to supply russian troops that went south down to Zelenogorsk. We must stop as soon as possible ammo, repair and fuel trucks, because if they reach Lopatino, it'll be too late to stop  them...
The best ambush site is a serie of hard curves, not far from Igor's house.
Be fast to prepare the ambush and good luck!

mission author: FleePee

mission type: COOP

Number of players: 1 to 10

Game version: ARMA2 patch 1.5

Addons: none

English and french versions!  (future english voices)

Duration: 30mn

Specifications:
- 8 playable slots
- revive by all units

Lobby Options:
- number of revives
- grass layer
- view distance
- Time before respawn location choice

External Scripts used:
- revive script V0.42 by Norrin

I'm waiting for your feedback, enjoy! :good:
« Last Edit: 01 Aug 2010, 08:54:54 by fleepee »

Offline Ebden

• www.legionofsparta.com
  • Members
Re: [MP coop 1-10] Ambush convoys V1
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2010, 14:56:04 »
Flee,

Great fun!  This was a good, tight mission with lots of RELEVANT action.  The convoy was large enough that it fit the focus of a single mission for a local milita-sized group, and the MI-8s added flavor with both their approaching rotor sound, and bringing our RPGs to bear in a non-traditional role.  Good use of the map space, situating the ambush location, Igor's house, etc.

I played this one, hosted on my machine, with 5 or 6 others from Nakedsquid.  The only comments I'll add are the following.  This one seems pretty close to complete on the first release (pending testing on a dedi server).

The first objective completed for everybody.  The second objective indicator appeared, but I had no text.  Another player did get the text, to fall back to the woods.  I still recieved the marker and icon in my map menu, just no associated descriptions.

I had selected Igor as my character, the first slot, but I came in as Niki, or Nikolai?  I was in the driver seat of the truck.  I also had the mobile respawn (not an Igor job, or was it?)

The total AI in the mission were more than the available slots.  Should be 8, right?  No-I see, 10 listed, but only 8 spots for human players (I think, have to check, at work right now).

Spawning unarmed worked in the first mission, but if we are just off defense of Lopatino and the Airfield, I'd expect we might have a little bit of armament.  Not much.  Could you add a mish-mash of weapons and no more than 2 mags to each character?  Mix it up too, using the M1A2, AKM, AKS, AK74, all iron sights, except for the hunter-he likes his CZ550, it's his favorite hunting rifle.

The selection at the crates was good.  Having two crates helped cut down on congestion when we were gathering mines and satchels.  Good choice with the guerilla cashe object for the ammo box as well with the netting.  It was hard (a good hard) for us to find initially, a full walk around the barn before we found them, even with your hint.

I'm happy to go over the english, it needs a few tweaks.

Also...for other testers, you have ACE2 installed, don't leave it on with this mission!  We all had ACE2 on when we started, and forgot that the weight and exhaustion limitations were still in effect.  Loading up with 90kg of mines doesn't give a man much chance at jogging.

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2010, 21:02:56 »
I'd expect we might have a little bit of armament.
I know...
As this mission is to be integrated into a campain, I want the AI/ players have the same weapons they had in the previous mission, in which you can take better weapons on dead russians.
I'll have to check how to do it, because the only campain I made was on OFP and was a single player one...

I also had the mobile respawn (not an Igor job, or was it?)
It's not an igor's job, but when i test the mission alone, it's usefull! will change it later, Dimitri is the "medic" (not really as I don't know how to give a civilian medic capacities) of the team.

Loading up with 90kg of mines doesn't give a man much chance at jogging.
  :D

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 15 Jan 2010, 05:32:52 »
We had a quick go of it tonight and we found it pretty easy. You might want to consider either limiting the number of revives to a max of 5 or 7ish range or you could go with revive only  and no mobile respawn tent, base. make the players work together.

the helo's didn't seem like there doing much often sitting off hovering. Same deal with some of the units they were just standing around. I think you should add another truck of units too and if the first few trucks are dead then eject them from the truck and spread out and advance.

The cut scene in the end didn't really pan over anything interesting. you should maybe concentrate panning around the team mates instead.
Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #4 on: 15 Jan 2010, 18:19:55 »
You might want to consider either limiting the number of revives to a max of 5 or or you could go with revive only  and no mobile respawn tent
both done!

the helo's didn't seem like there doing much often sitting off hovering
when I play it, helo's gunners shoot at us and are efficient!

I think you should add another truck of units

there was 2 full squads of units in BTR and in a truck for each convoys (2), but not part of  the convoy's group, just "assigned as cargo" in vehicles: I modified it, so they'll now disembark if needed and move with convoys.

Uploading V1.3!

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [MP coop 1-10] Ambush convoys V1-3
« Reply #5 on: 16 Jan 2010, 15:07:02 »
Played this again last night and 2 players finished it in 22 mins. :D
Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #6 on: 16 Jan 2010, 16:11:38 »
It's not a long mission if no truck passes the ambush site, it changes from "destroy power station", doesn't it? ;)
on which mode did you try it? regular or veteran?

Offline Ebden

• www.legionofsparta.com
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: 17 Jan 2010, 02:10:51 »
Hoz, is your comment about 22 min completion a good thing?  You suggested a while ago, somewhere in this forum, that missions should be a bit tighter re their time to completion, to help players work through a series of them.  Viewing this mission as one of many to be played in a campaign, getting through it in 22 mins (probably a bit quicker with a full group) would be helpful to keep people moving to the next story/episode/mission while also having a good smashup with mines and satchels.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 17 Jan 2010, 05:23:29 »
I'm just mearly pointing out that it was a very quick mission and one way he could make it a bit more difficult is to limit the number of revives. Plus I wasn't sure if this is part of fleepee's suit of missions. If it is maybe he should go with a better naming convention so that all the missions line in the lobby and can be played back to back.
Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #9 on: 17 Jan 2010, 08:46:07 »
he should go with a better naming convention so that all the missions line in the lobby and can be played back to back
Sure, I will...
This mission is the second one of the future campaign...

Offline Ebden

• www.legionofsparta.com
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: 18 Jan 2010, 12:58:09 »
Toward a naming convention, do you mean something that would identify each mission as related and numbered?  Example:  Coxx_campaign name_mission name_Vxx 

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2010, 16:40:27 »
I would think that he could drop the Coo  part and call it like  CampaignACronym_mission#_mission name  something like that.
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ebden

• www.legionofsparta.com
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: 19 Jan 2010, 16:15:35 »
I recall some posts from months ago asking about creating a flowing MP campaign, but it must be an insurmountable task to help the various loadouts and map conditions transfer from one mission to another.  It must be a huge memory burden, via custom/in-game object transfer and placement (damaged buildings, wrecked vehicles, etc, with each successive mission start.

If a real streaming campaign isn't possible, then the naming convention will be important.  If not, if Flee is genius level to sort out how to package it all together, then less important.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [MP coop 1-8] Ambush convoys V1-3
« Reply #13 on: 26 Jan 2010, 17:38:00 »
Played through this again last night. Its quite a fun and short mission.  The cut scene is the only thing need adjusting.
Xbox Rocks

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
Re: [MP coop 1-8] Ambush convoys V1-3
« Reply #14 on: 26 Jan 2010, 18:05:50 »
I'm glad you enjoyed it!
yes, cutscenes are not my strong point! :D
I'll make an effort and try something...

Edit: i've added Ebden english corections and changed the winning end cutscene...
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2010, 08:32:41 by fleepee »