Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP] Operation Hellfire (Review Complete)  (Read 12476 times)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
[SP] Operation Hellfire (Review Complete)
« on: 26 Dec 2009, 14:31:16 »
Operation Hellfire

Author: Krieg

Description: War with Soviet Union is ongoing. Recently Russians have occupied island just 300 miles from shores of United States. Even worse, it has airfield on it! Last thing Pentagon wants is Russian bombers on it's doorstep. Be a part of large naval invasion, and make NATO decent foot-hold in Morton!

Island: Everon

Side: West

Version: Final

Version of OFP: Resistance 1.96

Addons: None

Known bugs: None

Size of .zip: 3.33MB

Change-log
Beta 0.1 - First ever version released to public for beta testing.
Beta 0.1 Hotfix - Fixed number of issues I encountered: Grouped M1A1 to rest of the tanks, added some AT weapons to Law squad, and now your team-mates teleport to same spot you do... if they are still alive.
Beta 0.2 - Fixed addon bugs (extreme thanks for this to Walter_E_Kurtz).
Beta 0.3 - Fixed some briefing issues, added some "tactical markers", added a savegame once player reaches the shore, added a Russian squad after the Camp, made tanks at the camp a bit smarter, once you clear the Morton you must signal it manually, added little cutscene one you signaled that Morton is secure.
Beta 0.4 - Fixed some more briefing issues, added larger and better gear selection, corrected spelling in the briefing, fixed Pitbull issues, added "removeAction" to each flag script, once troops are unloaded, boats will turn around and go back to the ships, fixed the never ending cutscene issue, improved the outro, medical tents should not be destroyed by tanks now, and ships should not explode now.
Beta 0.5 - Re-remade the outro, now you do not teleport after signaling that Morton is secure,added "SITREP" scripts to both Puma and Pitbull, added random cover at the beach, added random anti-tank barriers after enemy camp, added random patrol in the forest.
Beta 0.6 - Fixed some SITREP scripts issues.
Beta 0.7 - Improved the briefing, added ammo truck after morton is secure, fixed joining the Foxtrot, fixed gear selection, hopefully reduced lag.
Pre-Final - Conducted voice acting, added intro (at last), added .lip files for voice acting, revised briefing a bit, now you start with a bit more fog and clouds.
Final - Did mostly polishings.

To-do list:
Discover how to fix and fix addon bug.
Add some medic tents.
Fix some briefing issues.
Add tactical markers

Add more mags and pistols in gear selection.
Add some savegames.
Add a new cutscene.
Add intro.
Add outro.
Improve overview.
Add more Russians after Morton.

Group M1A1 with other tanks.
Add anti-tank weapons to Law squad.
Teleporting your team-mates if they are still alive.
Fix medic tent issues.
Fix never-ending cutscene.
Fix never-removing addActions.
Improve outro.

Fix issue of boats exploding.
Fix issue of objectives never completing.
Remake the outro.
Add SITREP scripts.
Add more randomness.
Personalize the mission a bit.

Fix SITREP scripts.
Voice acting.
More voice acting.

Polish the mission a bit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All beta tests are appreciated!  :good:

The Review
« Last Edit: 27 Feb 2010, 06:13:19 by savedbygrace »
If you see a light at the end of the tunnel, then it's probably an enemy tank.

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [SP] Operation Hellfire
« Reply #1 on: 13 Jan 2010, 16:54:18 »
My test...Today. Resistance 1.96 / no mods / veteran
Overview
I attached a corrected Overview.html (just needed "The" at the beginning)
Great image! Nice summary.
Intro
None
Briefing
First off, Captains do not lead Infantry into amphibious invasions, that is reserved for Sgt.'s and Lt.'s(to my knowledge)
Second, you stated that the player had joined the Navy but he was reassigned to a Marine division. Not sure what you were intending to say but Naval personel,unless trained for it(S.E.A.L.S), do not lead assaults on land. Yes they are coupled with Marine Task forces at times but it is the duty of the Marines to be the first to fight and highly trained in amphibious invasions. The Navy provides the transport for all logistical assets needed by the Marine division as well as fire support from sea and Air. With that said, you may want to revise your story a bit.

The gear section did not contain an adequate amount of ammo for supplied weapons. I would recommend at the least, enough to fill every slot of all players for each type so that the player can outfit his team accordingly.
I would also like to request a pistol to accompany the sniper rifle if the player chooses that route.

All else was there, I have attached a corrected version of the Briefing, so read through it as I have changed some words to sound more American.

Cutscene
Decent cutscene, although a few of the ships would explode on the approach to land. I doubt it was enemy firing at us since their were no discernable muzzle blasts from shore before the explosion. I did notice the ships rubbing together at times while crossing paths which could result in damage.

Mission
  • A savegame would be great once the player's boat touches land to prevent from having to replay the cutscene repeatedly.
  • A good fight in Morton, although I would recommend allowing the player to enter the city with a countdown trigger to symbolize a clearing of the town.
  • Afterward, rather than blackout and in and setpos the players group to bring in the armor, I would create a brief cutscene of the carnage while displaying the radio messages that the town was cleared, just before you exit the cutscene to return control to the player, you could show a scene of the armor moving inland from shore.
  • I would recommend either a medical tent in Morton or a medic with a support waypoint with this setcaptive true in his init. I would also recommend a medical tent at the camp. Just in case my medic is KIA and the support medic is inadvertantly blown up.
  • I would recommend an opportunity for the player to rearm before pushing further inland as well.
  • Upon passing through the wood, I passed the specops and never knew why they were there. You were unclear as to where the group would meet the player. They did not join my group until I was close the camp.
  • The camp went well with the exception of the enemy not responding well to my presence. At times, their men would simply pass me up and not fire.
  • From here, taking Figny was easy enough. Perhaps add a final objective to place some satchels near the road and then add an outro with the armor column going up in smoke.
Outro
none.
Overall
Once you add sound, the radio messages will be harder to miss and the immersion will increase. It was a great first test as there were no real bugs. Can't wait to see the improvements though.
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2010, 10:08:45 by savedbygrace »

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #2 on: 13 Jan 2010, 20:03:09 »
Thanks for the test, savedbygrace! I thought the project was dead, but then, out of nowhere, you came in!

Overview

Glad it does it's job! And thanks for fixing!

Briefing

I am not very into how Navy and Marines co-operate, so thanks for correcting me. Will fix the rank issue too.

And also add more ammo!

And I will read the edited briefing!  :good:

Mission

Will add the savegame!

I will change the trigger so it says "Town seems to be clear, everyone move in and secure the area!", and then hint player to call 0-0-1 in order to report that town is secure.

This will be included in next release. Good idea!

I will add few ammo crates in the Morton, and add a sideChat "It seems that Ivan had entire ammo depot here! If you are out of ammo for your gun, just grab a Ruskie gun, 'cus you've got a ton of ammo here."

I will add a medics with "this setcaptive true" in initial landing, and also medic stipped down of his weapons with "this setCaptive true", so he'll be something like a pacifist  :D and not help player too much in actual combat. So he will be some sort of Red Cross worker. Although, I am not sure how much that would be respected in actual combat, and plus he might get KIA accidentally.

I will get a waypoint for player to join the Law squad, because they might head to Morton accidentally before joining you. This might be because they are headed to last know player's position before he setPos'd. I will also add marker showing their position, and add text in briefing about them.

I do not know is the "ignoring" issue solvable. This might be AI bug, since it has been noted in harron1992's "Battle for Rush Land".

I will add it. Also, should be Figny a bit harder to take? And also, I may do some Russian voices in the outro, since I speak a bit of Russian.

Overall

I will add sounds once I buy new headphones, since my mic is broken on my current ones. I already tried computer-generated voices, but I find them annoying.

One question, though.

I know that scores are not everything, but how much approximately does it earn for now, and how much in it's current mission form it can hypothetically earn?

Again, thanks for the test,
Krieg

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jan 2010, 01:54:41 »
Hi Krieg, I don't know if you're going to finish this one since it sounds like you're already working on Red Grinder II. But it's actually a pretty good mission, I just played it. (Got killed at Figari!)

Package

Nothing to complain about, except for the rather amusing typo "please repoty any bugs." Yes, I always like to urinate on any bugs I find at least twice. :D

Overview

Looks good.

Briefing

Numerous typos, but I could make out what you were saying, except for one part. The Order of Battle says

"Alpha - 30 men, launched from USS Carolina, 5 boats (your squad)"

The way it's written, it sounds like all 30 men are under my command, and that's too big for a squad. Try "platoon." Also, I didn't see any radio chatter that would identify the player as a squad/platoon leader.

Or if you meant that your squad is part of those thirty, then make that clear.

Gear selection needs attention, as savedbygrace pointed out. In particular, you're missing pistols, and you have 2 G36s but only 3 mags for them.

Your map could use some markers showing exactly where the landing points are.

"Law squad" could do with a new name. Is it supposed to be a Light Anti-Tank Weapon squad? Then maybe call it LAW Squad and make this clear.

Since your men start inside of a vehicle, I can't see what their experience is by clicking "Group." I don't know if there's a way around this.

Mission

savedbygrace already pointed out most of the things I was going to tell you about. I didn't see any ships exploding, though. But I second the need for a savegame when you hit the beach, and perhaps one after clearing Morton or the camp as well.

I don't understand why you setpos the player to a location in the forest. It didn't save me any time because I wanted to go back to Morton for more ammo anyway. Also, the black ops go back toward Morton rather than toward the camp. ??? Then when I get control of them, I have to use "report status" to find them, as savedbygrace pointed out.

But the biggest issue is that the blackops start out with a few LAW Launchers and a Carl Gustav Launcher, but they don't have any rounds for them! Making AI loons pick up weapons is very tedious, so some AT rounds to start with are in order. I had to go back to Morton and supervise their rearming. Even then, one of them managed to die from drowning--so much for "expert" AI. :banghead:

After this rearming, while still in Morton, I heard what sounded like a small tank battle. Some enemy infantry also decided to move southwards. I met them around the forest and killed them all fairly easily with some patient crawling. Camp was also fairly easy to clear. The enemy didn't react in any organized fashion.

Savedbygrace noted that "at times, their men would simply pass me up and not fire." I'm not sure what he means. I didn't notice any enemies refusing to shoot at me, but they didn't act intelligently. They looked like they might be low-skill, and my men had silenced weapons making them hard to detect.

One factor that may be contributing to the "ignoring" issue is the fact that AI groups in vanilla OFP don't communicate with eachother. Each group has to detect the player on their own, or else they'll just sit there and watch their buddies die. That's why the infantry at the camp can get slaughtered while the T80s just sit there. "Guard" waypoints and "Guarded by east" triggers may be a fairly easy solution here.

Finally, having an addaction for replacing the Soviet flags with American ones, like in Red Grinder, would be a nice touch. :)

Overall, this was fun to play. In particular I liked the huge beach landing. Hope you can finish the mission sometime. :cool2:
« Last Edit: 14 Jan 2010, 02:01:24 by RKurtzDmitriyev »
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jan 2010, 08:10:45 »
First of all, the medic issue...Give him a weapon but with no ammo so that he runs faster. I will also note that if you decide to use a support waypoint, you will have to prompt the player with a distance trigger so that when he is done healing from the medic, he is reminded to report that he is done so the medic can be used again. OR just place a medic tent at every engagement area. I actually had to crawl to the last objective, thankfully it was not far.

To clarify the part of enemy ignoring me... I mean that I had two enemy infantry at two different times at the camp pass me from behind and cross in front of me while I was looking the other way. I think they walked through a tent or something. Increase their skill level at least and give them all Guard waypoints. It is not necessary to place guarded by triggers because the guard waypoints act as Hold waypoints. The groups will respond to enemy presence where ever the threat is at on the map until the threat is no longer known and then they return to the Guard waypoint. But keep them at move waypoints until the player has triggered that area to prevent them from becoming involved in the first objective.

Regarding a score.... :). I have always been rather adamant about the score never truly doing justice to the project. The primary reason being that the scoring category is unbalanced and needs revision in order to be fair. The secondary reason is that the score is merely an opinion of taste and since everyone has their own, it is difficult to determine what is a truly good project. Some like action, others like cinema, some like realism and others like fun factor. You understand.........As it stands though, your briefing needs much work(no links, tactical markers, gear is inadequate, story unclear.) you have no cinema to speak of, replayability is low since their is not much randomness. Some gameplay flaws currently affect the mission flow(not the OFP AI ignorance mind you...that is taken into consideration) immersion is relatively low as a result of all of the mentioned shortcomings. SO, considering all, you're probably looking at a very low score. But that score will certainly increase significantly with the fixes you intend to implement. We basically look for a complete package. Overview, Intro, Briefing,Replayability, Fun factor, Immersion, Outro, bug free. Many editors refuse to add cinematics but all it takes is a few short camera angles to setup the story. And if you move it to the Intro and Outro areas, you reduce your use of objects, variables, and other lag inducing features and free up more space for creativity in you mission area. You also eliminate any frustrating cutscenes that play at every restart.

Your mission is a good one so far. It's just lacking some of the essential bones to complete its structure as well as the polish to make it shine.

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2010, 09:13:45 »
@RKurtzDimitriyev

Of course I am finishing this mission, RKurtzDimitriyev! Although it is true that Red Grinder is WIP and about 65% done, it is still pre-alpha version at best, and since this is beta, this is the top priority.

Package

:laugh: first time I read that I was all like "Yeah... Wait, what?"  I will fix it!

Briefing

Will look for 'em and I wont give up until typos have been exterminated.

Yeah, I should change it to "your platoon". And will add further info about who you are lead.

I will add more mags and pistols.

Yeah, Law's name sounds almost  like they are former cops.  :)

Mission

I did not see any ships blowing up either. It might be some random addon that is causing that problem to savedbygrace.

I will add one after beach landing and one once Morton is secure.

I did that because I wanted to simulate that some time would be required to land the tanks. I will do that with setAccTime, and then add little cutscene, showing Pitbull rolling up to their designated positions.

I removed their magazines because they used to cause UKF_weps to appear in addon list. But JUST to be sure, I will remove all UKF addons I have. By the way, should I add them LAW magazines or LAW ammo (I forgot which one adds them rockets and does not crash the game)?

Even then, one of them managed to die from drowning--so much for "expert" AI

How did he manage to? I mean, I know that AI thinks they can swim, but how did he find his way to water? Did he detect a dead LAW Soldier?

Yes, those groups have fairly low skill because I used "Group" to add them.

I'll give you that option at all flags. :D

Will finish it! Don't worry!

@savedbygrace

I guess I'll use the medic tents.

From my understanding, cycle waypoints can be canceled using synchronization with (for example trigger)? If that is true then I could have one move waypoint and cycle waypoint that would loop until Morton has not got any Russians left?

I understand the score thing. I will probably use intro to tell the history of the war (for which most of the questions are unanswered: Why it started, when it started, who is in advantage, etc.), and outro to let player see 10 T80 blow up. :) One question though, how do you do the "slow-motion" thing (example of it's usage is in intro of BIS Hummer mission, forgot it's name, but its the one where you have Hummer jeep and a flag on Malden, I tried DePboing but found nothing about it)? I will also fix the briefing issues.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #6 on: 14 Jan 2010, 14:14:51 »
I removed their magazines because they used to cause UKF_weps to appear in addon list. But JUST to be sure, I will remove all UKF addons I have. By the way, should I add them LAW magazines or LAW ammo (I forgot which one adds them rockets and does not crash the game)?

I think you just need to stick UKF in a mod folder and not activate it when designing this mission. And you need magazines, not ammo. ;)

Even then, one of them managed to die from drowning--so much for "expert" AI

How did he manage to? I mean, I know that AI thinks they can swim, but how did he find his way to water? Did he detect a dead LAW Soldier?

He detected a LAW on one of the boats. BTW, there's something I forgot to tell you. The boats just keep sitting there at the beach rather than going back to the ships to get more men. Having them go back might be more immersive.

And that reminds me of another thing I forgot to write down. The player seems to be type "soldier," even though there are other NATO units type "officer" running around. It doesn't make sense that the platoon leader is wearing a helmet while the squad leaders seem to feel safe with hats. ;)
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #7 on: 14 Jan 2010, 18:22:53 »
I think you just need to stick UKF in a mod folder

Too late, already deleted from recycle bin.  ;)

you need magazines

Thanks!

The boats just keep sitting there at the beach

Yeah, I originally intended them to go back, but I was afraid that then it will drop my troops into water.
I am not sure if that would happen, though.

It doesn't make sense that the platoon leader is wearing a helmet while the squad leaders seem to feel safe with hats.

It kinda goes along with AI drowning in the water while trying to rearm.
But I will fix it!  ;)

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: 15 Jan 2010, 04:19:03 »

Yes, Cycle waypoints are bypassed with a "switch" type trigger.

I did not see any ships blowing up either. It might be some random addon that is causing that problem to savedbygrace.
I do not use third party resources(mods, addons, etc.) while testing missions.

Slow motion can be controlled with the Setacctime command.

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
Operation Hellfire 0.3
« Reply #9 on: 15 Jan 2010, 11:06:57 »
Thanks for information on bypassing cycle waypoints!

I do not use third party resources(mods, addons, etc.) while testing missions.

Then I do not know how it happened. Neither me nor RKurtzDimitiyev saw any ships exploding. It might be that it was bug unique to your playing session.

Thanks for info on setAccTime command!

Edit: New version is up.
List of changes:

• Added some "tactical" markers
  • Added outro.
  • Added AT ammo to the spec-ops squad.
  • Spec-ops' squad name changed from "Law" to "Foxtrot"
  • Now when you clear Morton, you have to signal it manually via your radio.
  • Made tanks not just sit there, but guard the camp.
  • Increased skill of Russian soldiers at the camp.
  • Added a Russian squad after the camp.
« Last Edit: 15 Jan 2010, 19:29:06 by Krieg »

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #10 on: 17 Jan 2010, 19:56:59 »
Don't worry Krieg, I'll get to it eventually, just been busy with my own little projects. :P

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #11 on: 18 Jan 2010, 08:07:13 »
No problem, but your post came at just about right time as I was gonna write down:

Quote from: Non-existing quote
It seems no-one noticed the edit I made three days ago, so I posted this to inform you that I have updated Operation Hellfire three days ago.

Hope you enjoy the improvements,
Krieg

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 18 Jan 2010, 10:58:25 »
Just got through with my second run through this one. I noticed improvements in the text but you are still forgetting a few needed words to polish it. They are...
In the Overview-
The Soviets have occupied >the< small island of Everon

In the Situation section-
situation in >the< enemy camp

Not to be a pain but the gear selection is still lacking completeness.

I discovered that the cause of the boat explosions was an enemy tank in the town. It was a mystery until the tank took out my teams boat and the seagull death camera revealed my killer. I still think you need to tweak the formations a little though as the below pick(removed) explains a potential hazard though nothing that would prevent the mission from continuing.

Still did not see a savegame at the beach.

The addaction to the flagpole in Morton never gets removed.

The medic tent is not safely placed and the enemy tanks trample it.

The cutscene induced by the radio trigger, notifying command that Morton is clear, never ends.

I noticed the new link identifying where the specops were but the importance of joining them was not stressed enough. The way it is set, the player could potentially bypass them altogether(not sure if that will break the mission though) You should reword the last line of the first paragraph and the first section of the second paragraph in the Detailed Briefing section like this...
Once Morton has been secured, Use the radio to relay the situation back to command. Then we'll begin landing the armor while you link up with >Foxtrot<, our recon team, to coordinate an assault on an enemy camp that they spotted North of the woods. That will commence the second phase of the operation and at your command, The armor group, callsign Pitbull, will flank the camp and attack from the West.
>< represents a potential hyperlink point

I thought the responding armor group to Morton and the responding infantry to the camp action was an appropriate addition and increased immersion some.

I began to wonder where my GPS device was while I was approaching the camp. For players who play in veteran, it is needed as waypoints, positions, etc. are not dislpayed in game.

I feel like the Armor group waits waaaaay too long to move toward Figny. I found my self hitting the 4x speed feature to hurry them up.

The final two objectives still do not complete.

I failed to notice a medic tent in the camp as I did not need it this time around, my medic was still kicking.

The Outro could use one more camera angle. Perhaps a flyover of the neatly arranged armor line exploding in slow motion? :D
« Last Edit: 19 Jan 2010, 10:10:30 by savedbygrace »

Offline Krieg

• Mission Maker
  • Members
  • Who dares wins.
« Reply #13 on: 18 Jan 2010, 11:21:14 »
It seems that new version brought more problems then fixes.

I will fix the grammar a bit.

Not to be a pain but the gear selection is still lacking completeness.

Exactly. I forgot to edit the gear selection, will fix it!

I guess I should set the boats captive, since they do not play any role in battle.

Still did not see the savegame? I will see in which waypoint I placed "savegame" command.

I will place the medic tent more safely (i assume you are talking about one in the camp).

How it does not end? I did add "camDestroy _cam" at the ending!
Code: [Select]
pit1 setPos getMarkerPos "p1"
pit2 setPos getMarkerPos "p2"
pit3 setPos getMarkerPos "p3"
player sideChat "Overwatch, this is Alpha. Morton is secure, over."
~3
HQ sideChat "Roger that Alpha. Tanks are on the way, over and out."
~3
titletext [" ","Black Out",3]
~4
_cam = "camera" camcreate [0,0,0]
_cam cameraeffect ["internal", "back"]
_cam camsettarget pit1
_cam camsetrelpos [-5,-15,1.5]
_cam camcommit 0
~2
titletext [" ","Black In",1]
~4
titletext [" ","Black Out",1]
~2
player setPos getMarkerPos "pl"
?(alive l1) : l1 setPos getMarkerPos "l1"
?(alive l2) : l2 setPos getMarkerPos "l2"
?(alive l3) : l3 setPos getMarkerPos "l3"
?(alive l4) : l4 setPos getMarkerPos "l4"
?(alive l5) : l5 setPos getMarkerPos "l5"
camDestroy _cam
~1
titletext [" ","Black In",1]

I will fix the briefing!

I will add the GPS!

Same issue was detected in "The Red Grinder", but I still do not know what is causing it, I will still look into it.

I will look into that objective issue!

There was the medic tent at the camp, but glad at least that somebody managed to get his squad out after beach landing!

I will try, although I am not sure how to do it. If only cameras responded to "doMove" command...
Glad you liked how I arranged the mines!  :D

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 18 Jan 2010, 13:00:11 »
I didn't see a savegame in the radio menu nor did I notice it at landing, perhaps I missed it.

You failed to terminate the camera
titlecut["","BLACK OUT",2]
_cam cameraeffect ["terminate", "back"]

I was speaking about the medic tent in Morton.

I am thinking that the reason your armor takes so long to move to the next waypoint is that you have given the group a seek and destroy waypoint at the forest edge. Once a group reaches a seek and destroy waypoint, it begins a random search to where it moves to three or more invisible waypoints within a specific radius of the center, initial waypoint. For amor, I believe that radius extends to 150 meters. The problem with AI is that often when it can not reach a waypoint, after trying for a while, it will halt any other movement. Perhaps you should move the waypoint further away from the woods, add a trigger at the village set to player presence and sync it with the armor's seek and destroy waypoint at the camp so that the armor group will wait until the player has moved his group to the village before moving onto figny. Make sure the trigger spans a length long enough in case the player decides to take a round about way to figny.

Regarding the camera...try the camera.sqs to capture positions, angles, targets, and field of vision and adjust the camcommit to move the camera at different speeds between positions. Try the script below and see the potential and ease of using it.
this exec "outrotalk.sqs"
titlecut["","BLACK IN",2]
_camera = "camera" camcreate [0,0,0]
_camera cameraeffect ["internal", "back"]

_camera camsettarget r
_camera camsetrelpos [0,-7,0.5]
_camera camcommit 0
~3
;=== looking north at figny
_camera camSetTarget [33833.00,98676.94,-21578.97]
_camera camSetPos [5281.11,5314.53,10.96]
_camera camSetFOV 0.700
_camera camCommit 0
~3
;=== behind player looking at figny
_camera camSetTarget [-74118.40,64330.93,-13407.18]
_camera camSetPos [5445.24,5275.71,4.06]
_camera camSetFOV 0.272
_camera camCommit 0
~1
;=== behind the player on the ground looking at hillcrest where armor is coming
_camera camSetTarget [-14600.96,103186.83,-3244.27]
_camera camSetPos [5448.12,5273.85,0.78]
_camera camSetFOV 0.773
_camera camCommit 6
~6
;=== zoomed in to hillcrest
_camera camSetTarget [-3386.24,104874.73,-1187.55]
_camera camSetPos [5448.12,5273.85,0.78]
_camera camSetFOV 0.086
_camera camCommit 6
~7
;=== at hillcrest above treetops looking south at mine field
_camera camSetTarget [-29588.56,-84630.81,-24946.20]
_camera camSetPos [5434.18,5626.48,16.46]
_camera camSetFOV 0.700
_camera camCommit 0

;=== at hillcrest looking south and down at armor
_camera camSetTarget [-21741.55,-88832.85,-18541.07]
_camera camSetPos [5413.12,5588.24,15.91]
_camera camSetFOV 0.700
_camera camCommit 12
~13
;=== west of minefield loooking down at armor approach
_camera camSetTarget [43195.79,-80897.38,-33067.09]
_camera camSetPos [5305.60,5504.95,15.82]
_camera camSetFOV 0.700
_camera camCommit 0

;=== north of minefield watching explosions
_camera camSetTarget [6823.06,-87093.06,-37614.33]
_camera camSetPos [5356.79,5514.22,20.57]
_camera camSetFOV 0.700
_camera camCommit 30
~10
;=== same position above and zooming in on specop
_camera camSetTarget [41457.52,-87686.90,-3254.25]
_camera camSetPos [5358.36,5509.96,20.93]
_camera camSetFOV 0.010
_camera camCommit 10
~12

titlecut["","BLACK OUT",2]
_camera cameraeffect ["terminate", "back"]
To use camera.sqs...
  • Place a trigger activated by radio whatever channel repeatedly
  • Insert in its onactivation field >player exec "camera.sqs"
  • Once in camera mode, you can record the current camera position,angle,FOV, and target with a click of the  left control button
  • Alt/tab to desktop, locate your script and paste the code in there
Don't forget to make a note of what each recording is of so that you can make adjustments easy enough if you dislike certain angles.
Here are the camera controls once in camera mode
camera controls are like heli controls, numberpad 4,8,6,2 are pivot controls...a,w,s,d are movement...q,z are vertical rise and fall...n exits camera mode...L removes the crosshair...NUMBERPAD +/- are zoom in/out.
« Last Edit: 18 Jan 2010, 13:14:02 by savedbygrace »