Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [MP20v1] Battle of Berezino  (Read 2530 times)

Offline DasGuntLord01

• Members
[MP20v1] Battle of Berezino
« on: 26 Nov 2009, 20:43:47 »
Author: Gunther (DasGuntLord01)
Version: 0.5
Required Addons: None
Mission Description: This is an experiment in Assymetric gameplay.  Up to 20 US Spec Ops attempt to destroy a radar station.  The town is defended by a rifle company controlled by a human using the BIS high command engine.
Features:
 - Guerilla enemies give the OPFOR commander something to keep him on his toes, with secondary objectives increasing the number of geurilla enemies (uses BIS Ambient Combat Module).
 - Uses Kegety's seagul spectator script from the F2 mission framework.

Known Bugs:
- CIV Spectator slots do not work.

Additional Comments: Apart from making it easier on the mission designer (muggins) having a Human controling your enemies makes for a truly unpredictable and potentially nail biting experience.  For the Human Commander, trying to hunt down and destroy a human spec ops team can be fun and rewarding (i hope).

The OPFOR commander can find tips in his notes section.

Changelog:
v0.5
 - [FIX] Default starting parameter.
 - [FIX] Breifings now re-added on respawn.
 - [FEATURE] Objectives and East units shuffled around the map.

v0.45
 - [FEATURE] Time of Day mission parameter added.

v0.4
 - [FIX] Win condition for OpFor tested and fixed.
 - [PERFORMANCE] Ambient Civilian Vehicles Module removed.
 - [FEATURE] Kegety's spectator scripts re-added.

v0.3
 - Description.ext header added
 - Spectator scripts removed (reduce lag?)
 - WEST now insert by zodiac
 - Mission start time changed to midnight
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 18:36:13 by DasGuntLord01 »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: [MP20v1] Battle of Berezino
« Reply #1 on: 26 Nov 2009, 20:56:08 »
SO is this a coop type play? or PvP?
Xbox Rocks

Offline DasGuntLord01

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 27 Nov 2009, 04:56:02 »
Technically PvP, but not a deathmatch.  As described above, the sides are assymetric.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 27 Nov 2009, 05:19:43 »
Well we played it a coop type fashion. :)  And so that's the way I will report from.

1. Briefing and tasks gone after respawn

2. You should consider a weaponspool cuz the with halo you don't offer a player a choice of weapon, and I really hate the m4. If it was there I might of missed it.

3. Your missing the header info from the description.ext, which isn't a big deal except its reported in the server rpt file. Extra noise for server admins. (see this http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#Header_Class)

4. Your doing very large searches with nearestobject  These are reporting in the client rpt file and really cause alot of lag.  We really noticed this during play. You probably don't need to be continually checking for this... You can perform the nearestobject check once then after that you can reference it as a variable. These errors are continually writing to the client rpt file and therefore writing to the disk is taking away from game play.

Code: [Select]
Performance warning: Very large search for 260587 (>300 m)
Performance warning: Search for 8c1cc00# 260587: housev2_01a.p3d was very large (570 m)
Performance warning: Very large search for 260538 (>300 m)
Performance warning: Search for 4f32000# 260538: housev2_01b.p3d was very large (540 m)
Performance warning: Very large search for 260587 (>300 m)
Performance warning: Search for 8c1cc00# 260587: housev2_01a.p3d was very large (570 m)
Performance warning: Very large search for 260538 (>300 m)
Performance warning: Search for 4f32000# 260538: housev2_01b.p3d was very large (540 m)

5. also this error in the rpt.

Error in expression <skDestination getMarkerPos "radarMark";
MAG_tskObj7 setSimpleTaskDestination get>
  Error position: <MAG_tskObj7 setSimpleTaskDestination get>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: mag_tskobj7
File mpmissions\__CUR_MP.Chernarus\init.sqf, line 76

6. and also this one but not sure if its you or the bis halo... are you using the bis halo?

Error in expression <it select 0, getpos _HALOunit select 1, _HALOunitaltitude]>
  Error position: <_HALOunitaltitude]>
  Error Undefined variable in expression: _halounitaltitude
Error in expression <it select 0, getpos _HALOunit select 1, _HALOunitaltitude]>

Xbox Rocks

Offline DasGuntLord01

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 27 Nov 2009, 06:01:48 »
1. Briefing and tasks gone after respawn

I originally intended for respawn to be off, but if I keep it on Team respawn, can I get a script or set of scripts that re-add the tasks and notes?

2. You should consider a weaponspool cuz the with halo you don't offer a player a choice of weapon, and I really hate the m4. If it was there I might of missed it.

I'm quite sure I added one.  In the briefing, units -> you -> gear?  

3. Your missing the header info from the description.ext,

Added

4. Your doing very large searches with nearestobject  These are reporting in the client rpt file and really cause alot of lag.  We really noticed this during play. You probably don't need to be continually checking for this... You can perform the nearestobject check once then after that you can reference it as a variable. These errors are continually writing to the client rpt file and therefore writing to the disk is taking away from game play.

Since I didn't personally use the nearestObject command, this is either the spectator scripts, or the BIS ACM.   If it's the spectator scripts, I can turn them off.  If it's the ACM, then I don't know what to do.

5. also this error in the rpt.

Can't see anything wrong with that objective in the scripts.  Is it showing up correctly in the mission?

6. and also this one but not sure if its you or the bis halo... are you using the bis halo?

I am using BIS halo, so I've no idea what to do about this set of errors.  Probably going to scrap the halo insertion anyway, and go for zodiacs.

Thanks muchly for the feedback.  First post updated:

v0.3
 - Description.ext header added
 - Spectator scripts removed (reduce lag?)
 - WEST now insert by zodiac
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 06:18:52 by DasGuntLord01 »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 27 Nov 2009, 14:28:44 »
I originally intended for respawn to be off, but if I keep it on Team respawn, can I get a script or set of scripts that re-add the tasks and notes?

Check out the ED area, lots of people have come across this issue of the breifing.

I'm quite sure I added one.  In the briefing, units -> you -> gear?

I admit I might of missed it...

Since I didn't personally use the nearestObject command, this is either the spectator scripts, or the BIS ACM.   If it's the spectator scripts, I can turn them off.  If it's the ACM, then I don't know what to do.

I would be very surprised if the Bis acm was doing this or the spectating scripts... do you see the errors in your rpt file? if you do you maybe able to see when it starts happening..its definately somethign you want to look into cuz its taxing the performance.

Can't see anything wrong with that objective in the scripts.  Is it showing up correctly in the mission?

Its probably related to the missing briefing after respawn or something...

I am using BIS halo, so I've no idea what to do about this set of errors.  Probably going to scrap the halo insertion anyway, and go for zodiacs.
this could be becuase I'm using the latest beta. so I wouldn't worry about it just yet... I like the halo insertion...

one other thing I would add is some start up options. like time of day view distance and no grass options. check out one of flee pees missions he does it well.

Xbox Rocks

Offline DasGuntLord01

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 27 Nov 2009, 14:50:38 »
I would be very surprised if the Bis acm was doing this or the spectating scripts... do you see the errors in your rpt file? if you do you maybe able to see when it starts happening..its definately somethign you want to look into cuz its taxing the performance.

I havn't ever needed to use nearestObject.  I've removed the spectator scripts (they weren't working anyway), so let me know if you still get the lag with 0.3

this could be becuase I'm using the latest beta. so I wouldn't worry about it just yet... I like the halo insertion...

Truth be told, I don't.  :P  I've had some problems with it.  Besides, you're there to blow up an AA Radar, so they would have shot down your C130 long before you got to jump out.

And, furthermore, zodiac feels more sneaky. ::)

So, we've got zodiac insertion for now.

UPDATE:  My .rpt shows a host of error messages that I'm almost certain are caused by BIS modules, since I never  personally initiated a search for those house objects.  I'm taking notes now, and will hunt down the culprit at my earliest convenience.

Is the performance drop a game breaker?
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 15:11:19 by DasGuntLord01 »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 27 Nov 2009, 15:38:51 »
I havn't ever needed to use nearestObject.  I've removed the spectator scripts (they weren't working anyway), so let me know if you still get the lag with 0.3

The spectating scripts were working when you died and there were no more respawn units left. This works and I'd highly recommend leaving it in or using norrins revive scripts. Leaving the player to wander around in the crow really sucks.

Is the performance drop a game breaker?

You definitely don't want to have performance issues.

Don't worry about rushing through the mission development process. We've only taken the mission through 1 run, there are lots of things yet I haven't mentioned yet. Like there were a few typos but the lack  of ability to bring up the briefing after respawn I wasn't able to go in and capture them.  Also I'm not sure how the 1 playable east unit plays into your mission. As I said earlier we played it strictly from a coop perspective. (two players on the same side, attempted to complete the objective)

More to come after we test out the next version... will probably be a day or two. so if you got a new version then post it up there.

edit:

Just noticed this.... :(   add some mission start options so the time of day can be variable. plus from a testing perspective you may not  want to play in the night so you can see whats going on around you. check out fleepee's missions he uses the mp lobby options to its fullest.
« Last Edit: 27 Nov 2009, 16:07:23 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline DasGuntLord01

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 28 Nov 2009, 04:49:41 »
after respawn I wasn't able to go in and capture them.

The triggers should still have been firing, it just wouldn't have let you know...

The large nearestObject searches were, i believe, being caused by the Ambient Civilian Vehicles module.  Since the module has zero effect on gameplay, I have removed it.  I noticed those warning messages dissappear.

I'm still getting an error message about my objectives, but I can't for the life of me work out why.

Updating first post now...

v0.45
 - [FEATURE] Time of Day mission parameter added

v0.4
 - [FIX] Win condition for OpFor tested and fixed.
 - [PERFORMANCE] Ambient Civilian Vehicles Module removed.
 - [FEATURE] Kegety's spectator scripts re-added.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 08:03:07 by DasGuntLord01 »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: 28 Nov 2009, 14:34:42 »
We played .04 mission last night again... Didn't like the night insertion by kodiak, but I see you added the time of day option. We completed the mission in 9 mins. It was too simple to come ashore and then just walk up to the tower.

My other buddy was disappointed in that your removed the Halo insertion. :D

Xbox Rocks

Offline DasGuntLord01

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 28 Nov 2009, 17:40:02 »
Do I move the radar inland more, or re-add the halo insertion?  Or add another mission parameter?  :D

The reason it was so easy was because no one was controling the defenders, which is what the single OpFor slot is for.  But having said that, the radar shouldn't be on the coast if the insertion is by zodia.

We're about to play a big test with the AToW guys, which should prove enlightening.

I really appreciate your help, by the way.

#EDIT: No need to quote the entire previous post you're replying to...   h-

Sorry.

Updated to 0.5
 - [FIX] Default starting parameter.
 - [FIX] Breifings now re-added on respawn.
 - [FEATURE] Objectives and East units shuffled around the map.
« Last Edit: 28 Nov 2009, 18:34:06 by DasGuntLord01 »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: 03 Dec 2009, 05:40:10 »
Just going to type up some quick notes from our session...

I really dislike the team switch and the BIS revive. but we worked with it..
Add some music to the beginning to liven up the mood on the way in, or some radio chatter. This will add some ambiance.
You're objective titles are too long for people with smaller monitors. consider shortening them. Like add the primary and secondary to the description part.
Change the option in the spectating to view west side only.
Consider adding ammo to the boats. After respawning, your often stuck with a shit gun and its difficult to  equipe all guys on mission start.
Consider a lobby option to remove the grass.
Add some smaw's to the weapons pool even if its just one or two rockets.

Typo Roadblock cleard is ... Cleared

Its much tougher now... Its very difficult to manuver around those vehicles out there. They could maybe do with some dumbing down.  We never made it up the in hill in two  attempts so we'll need to play some more.  Look forward to the next update.
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2009, 17:31:06 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks