Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Disabling rotorwash  (Read 1285 times)

Offline eegore

• Members
Disabling rotorwash
« on: 06 Oct 2009, 09:06:37 »

I decided to pull up an old Vietnam mission I made years ago but could never get to work.

Now that I got the choppers doing what I want I have serious lag when the rotorwash effect is around the choppers.  Its as if the effect is quadrupled and appears as a solid ring instead of small dust clouds.  Once they lift off everything runs normal.   

Its the CSJ UH1 addon with a ton of variations on the classic Huey.  But the readme offers no description on how to disable the rotorwash effects. 

Anyone know of a way to do this?

Note: -nomap is already in the shortcut properties. 

Thanks

Walter_E_Kurtz

Re: Disabling rotorwash
« Reply #1 on: 06 Oct 2009, 11:41:58 »
I think it's because the scripting of the choppers doesn't take into account a number of possibilies. The use of eventHandlers in the CSJ UH1 config means that every time a chopper starts its engine another instance of the rotorwash script is run - the effect starts to look odd once there's more than one script running.

I've not spotted a universal off switch for the scripts - you'll have to make sure that once they've started their engines, they don't stop them.

Depending on what you're using the Huey's for, you could:
   - make sure they hover 1 metre off the ground when loading / unloading troops. As a bonus, this adds atmosphere.
   - delete and respawn them when out of sight

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 06 Oct 2009, 12:17:50 »

Thanks for the info.

Unfortunately all CSJs show rotorwash at a height that exceeds a units ability to load/unload and this solid ring appears even if only one CSJ is on the map.  Its not an issue of too many, or multiple take-off landings. 

As soon as it starts its engines the ring appears and the game lags like crazy.  If I use any other helo everything runs fine.  I was just wondering if anyone else experienced this and had a solution.

Also if I am the pilot this doesnt happen.  It shows the appropriate dust cloud. 

Weird eh?

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #3 on: 06 Oct 2009, 18:19:48 »
I think he means there's a bug in the config that creates multiplied effects. Although you could try FPShelper addon to see if it's just a graphical issue (cuts down on the rotorwash effects since they are known to be laggy).

Offline dr. seltsam

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 06 Oct 2009, 18:55:36 »
no no,

it's true, everytime you start the engine of one of these choppers the eventhandler starts a neverending rotorwash script. After a while you deal with serious lag.

My suggestion is: Ask the maker of this addon for the permission to change it. We can change the eventhandlers in the config.cpp or we can change the rotorwash.sqs...

;)

Offline eegore

• Members
« Reply #5 on: 06 Oct 2009, 20:08:00 »

Ill have to look for this FPS Helper, it might come in handy.

As for why one CSJ would fire up instant lag only if AI is in it is beyond me.  Unfortunate though because they look good, and crews can board/disembark from both sides.

Makes for much faster and realistic insertions. 

Has anyone else experienced what I am having here?  Instant lag soon as a CSJ starts up.

Thanks for all the info so far.