Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: JTD_FireAndSmoke  (Read 4038 times)

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
JTD_FireAndSmoke
« on: 02 Sep 2009, 15:59:34 »
First tentative shy release :)
http://dmarkwick64.googlepages.com/JTD_FireAndSmoke.rar

Untested in MP. Treat the PBO as any other addon PBO, but make sure you place the .hpp file in the ArmA2\dta folder. Some of the options don't work yet, it's there mainly to supply the tree types and for users to include new trees, or exclude some for that matter. (Some of the ArmA1 trees are actually bushes and I will be "pruning" them out eventually ;))

Heavy battles will make your game lag, but this is an initial release. Hopefully almost all other users will have more powerful machines than mine and I get playable performance. Most missions will be fine with it.

As I said, untested in MP. The serving machine will handle almost all the logic, which leads me to wonder what happens to client-driven vehicles, and whether the "killed" event is local or global, or at least always occurring on the serving machine. Also, there might be a problem with the lights for forest fires at night, whether they are created on client machines etc.

Vehicle smoke effects are artificially short (should be in the 20-40 minute region, actually they're currently more like 10 minutes).

Let me know what you think.
« Last Edit: 02 Sep 2009, 19:08:07 by DMarkwick »

Offline Trexian

• Members
Re: JTD_FireAndSmoke
« Reply #1 on: 02 Sep 2009, 17:19:51 »
Let me know what you think.

I like it. :)
Sic semper tyrannosauro.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #2 on: 02 Sep 2009, 20:22:16 »

Looking very good mate  just javelined a tractor in utes forest and the propogation was very nice and smooth.
 btw Loki and some others were talking about this command the other day , maybe it can help you get rid of the trees after burning.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/deleteCollection

not sure of the consequences on ai or dedi servers but might be interesting to see if you can delete some of your array of trees that are on fire.

I love ofp

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: 02 Sep 2009, 20:53:16 »
Glad you like it :) and thanks for the link :)

If you redownload, you'll get the special birds sound version ;) :D

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #4 on: 03 Sep 2009, 15:56:51 »
Please dont use the dta folder.
Some people follow the 'standard' I have introduced. That is:

userconfig\Tag_Project\file.hpp

like .\arma2\userconfig\JDT_FireAndSmoke\JDT_configuration.hpp

:good:

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: 03 Sep 2009, 20:05:41 »
New build.

Birds settings finalised (upon approval :)) and forest fire timings altered, fires burn for a shorter time in an effort to calm down performance issues. This will probably eventually manifest as a user config option for longer or shorter fire times.

Please dont use the dta folder.
Will the same method you show allow me to have the .hpp file alongside the PBO file? That would probably be better.
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2009, 20:38:16 by DMarkwick »

Offline Kremator

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 03 Sep 2009, 22:36:07 »
Fires look good and perhaps burn a little too long but the birds do get very annoying.  Their alarm calls happen way too often.

I've also seen them fly backwards!

Good work on this.

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: 07 Sep 2009, 18:00:36 »
Latest build:
http://dmarkwick64.googlepages.com/JTD_FireAndSmoke.rar

This is getting very close to the public release now, MP fires notwithstanding :) if anyone can check that out with this build that'd be great.

The birds (ssshhh secret ;)) are very much toned down now, you'll only get them very occasionally when it's quiet. A gunshot will send numerous flocks up all around the firer, then it will be quiet birdwise for the duration of the firefight. In fact, no shots for several minutes will be the trigger to start them again.

Cheers all.

*edit*
Oh, and a fire limit in the config too :)
« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2009, 18:51:19 by DMarkwick »

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #8 on: 07 Sep 2009, 19:04:16 »

Ok i found something interesting   it maybe Bis related or simply the Hpp in the Dta folder , the latter i doubt.

load arma2 with your addon in @ folder

Go into utes  make a mission  place a AT man and an empty tractor near the trees.

save the mission then open the  mission.sqm

you will ( should ) get

Code: [Select]
{
addOns[]=
{
"cacharacters2",
"utes",
"CAWheeled",
"cadata"

};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
"cacharacters2",
"CAWheeled",
"cadata",
"utes"
};

now run the mission and blow up the tractor  let the flames spread etc , then exit mission and resave.

you will then get a new addition

Code: [Select]
{
addOns[]=
{
"cacharacters2",
"utes",
"DBO_func",
"CAWheeled",
"cadata",
"jtd_fireandsmoke"
};
addOnsAuto[]=
{
"cacharacters2",
"DBO_func",
"CAWheeled",
"cadata",
"utes"
};

It seems that its updated the fact that your addon will spawn and saved the requirement to the mission.

which is good because it saves a lag spike, but i recommend people dont edit with the effects unless there gonna use them all the time at this stage  this will stop the missing addon error .
 obviously this problem is not unique to your addon.

The problem is that mission editor maybe unwittingly edting with your addon loaded and then uploading missions with No addons required , when in actual fact it requires your addon.

good bloody jb on the fires tho lovin em mate.

I love ofp

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: 07 Sep 2009, 19:18:16 »
Yeah I used to see that activity in ArmA1 with my smoke grenade viewblock addon, any addon that spawns custom stuff but does not have an editor presence will do this I guess.

People who are using this in MP complain of an initial addon error before being able to continue the game as normal. I guess this might be the root of it.

I wonder if this addon might be better implemented as a module?

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #10 on: 07 Sep 2009, 19:38:44 »
 I dont think its a massive problem as long as theres a well documented and clear warning that  if editors have this loaded whilst testing missions and saving , hey need to delete the  addon requirement from the mission.sqm if they intend there mission to be addon free i guess  it has no effect doing that because i have tried and there was no error on reload.

I shouldnt think this wll effect gamesaves and such but i dont know exactly how they work

I wonder if you have classed it has protected ?

Long shot but  i wonder if that stops it being saved to mission .sqm as well as no being selectable in editor

#define private    0
#define protected  1
#define public     2

protected:

Identical to public, except the class will not be listed in the mission editor.

« Last Edit: 07 Sep 2009, 19:47:34 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline DMarkwick

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: 07 Sep 2009, 20:57:53 »
I wish there were a way to do the job without custom objects, but I cannot set the init of a tree object :D