Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP] Black Forest (Review Complete)  (Read 12769 times)

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [SP] Black Forest (Updated 20.05)
« Reply #30 on: 24 May 2010, 13:28:44 »
Sure, use and edit them freely. I didnt write almost any comments in scripts which can make it little more difficult. Here is info for some of the useful scripts:

Copypos.sqs:
-Copies array-position of player to clipboard (to paste with ctrl+v)  
-To use, place this code to player init:
Code: [Select]
this addaction ["copypos","copypos.sqs"];
Copyposmap.sqs:
-Copies the array-position from map when clicking it
-To activate it, place this code to player init:
this addaction ["copyposmap","copyposmap.sqs"];
AIcamp.fsm & AIcamp.sqf:
-You need to give it the unit that is using it, arrays of positions and directions and lag between given orders
-There is two unfinished parameters where you need to place [] (empty arrays)
-Example:
nul = [unitname1,[],[],[[6893.12,7956.14,0],position object1,[6913.02,8008.43,0],getmarkerpos "Marker1"],[150,70,80,90],50] execVM "AIcamp.sqf";-Example2: When unit named "unitname1" is ordered to position [6893.12,7956.14,0] where he watches to direction 150 if he had time to reach the position (default 30seconds + 50 seconds).
-In AIcamp.sqf you need to change the conditions in "while" and remove: deletevehicle _unit;

ScoutCar.fsm
-You need USPMON (by Monsada) script to use this
-Example:  
nul = ["Kamaz",[7263.79,8960.53,0],[7740.67,5246.06,0],east,115,["RU_Soldier","RU_Soldier_AT","RU_Soldier_AR","RU_Soldier_GL"],"mmrmr1"] execFSM "ScoutCar.fsm";-"Kamaz" is the car they use (classname)
-Start pos where they are spawned: [7263.79,8960.53,0]
-End pos where they drive and are deleted if they reach it without enemy contact: [7740.67,5246.06,0]
-EAST is of course the side of the units
-115 is direction when spawned
-["RU_Soldier","RU_Soldier_AT","RU_Soldier_AR","RU_Soldier_GL"] - units that are in the vehicle
-"mmrmr1" is a markerzone for USPMON that is created over the car when enemy is in sight. Always use a different markername.

Ambientman.fsm
-Spawns a unit(s) that walks from first position to second where he is deleted).
-Dosent delete until player is at least 500m away
-Example:
nul = [["Citizen2"],[7209.5,7676.27,0],[8437.19,6676.96,0],civilian] execFSM "ambientman.fsm";
Ambientcar.fsm
-Same as above but spawns a car with crew and you need to give also a spawn direction
-Example:
nul = ["datsun1_civil_2_covered",[8593.59,7936.11,0],position rspw,civilian,0] execFSM "ambientcar.fsm";
If any of you have questions of the scripts then send PM to me or write to BIS forum topic. Lets keep this thread primary for mission beta testing. ;)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76273
« Last Edit: 24 May 2010, 21:42:09 by SaOk »

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #31 on: 26 May 2010, 09:14:32 »
The light was cut-off ,and so I wasn't able to complete your mission.
(We get 6 hours of electricity each day in Myanmar/Burma and that's bull-shit for gamers :( )

I found some inappropriate things (not bugs)

-The searchlight along the road to the North-East of the HQ is blocking the way.

-There is a source of fire (a campfire?) right at the entrance of the tent where the Captain and the player
had a conversation.(that's where I took the NVG)

-When I get to the enemy camp located about 1000 m from the HQ(North of HQ), I saw no enemys.
You must be spawning enemies when something is triggered.(i haven't delivered parts to the officer at the moment)

-the deliver parts waypoint should be set nearer to the officer,it took me about 15 minutes wandering to
find out what's next and why is the waypoint not working....but when I got nearer to a man who is probably an
officer I got a black out. and I thought "oh this is the one that I have to meet.....whoo..!"

-my AI Squad Mates got stuck in the trench infront of the Building ,whose top has a machine gunner standing.In front of the building is the Deliver Parts waypoint.

I tried to search the lost men but failed.The markers changed to Cross Signs (X).
Also,why do i need to go and collect the coffee?
I found a script called "sleepy" or somewhat like that in your folder.but I noticed nothing in the game.
I have Enabled Skip to HQ for the first two tries..and I noticed nothing about the sleep(no blackouts or
whiteouts except the whiteout at the start)

Things your should fix :

The most annoying problem is the AI Squad mates getting stuck.
You should space the Trench or something like that a little far from the MG Building.

Also,why not raise the Sun a bit? It all appeared dark.
You used many scripts but I can't clearly see what the units at the camp are doing or how your scripts are doing in the mission.

Voice Acting :
-you should change the voice to a lower pitch especially the voice of the captain, he sounded like a zombie or a monster.

PLUS to the mission :

-great atmosphere
-scary night
-good songs
-Its Fun driving the UAZ

As i've not yet finished it,I will try to play it tonight...
But you know,my CPU is a Pentium 4 2.66 Ghz (Single Core),lag is occuring almost all the time.
(Max FPS : 21,Min : 9 Mid : 14)
but I get used to it.

Regards,
Haroon1992
Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 May 2010, 12:56:33 »
Thanks for the test report and great to see a player from Burma (the closest place I've visited is Singapore and Hong Kong in late 80's). :)

I could move that searchlight a little. The campfire at HQ is giving light for the cutscene and also guiding the player to the tent.

I had to decrease units at the enemy guardposts (at north) to avoid FPS drop bug (which should be now fixed in next beta patch for the game). I will add again more enemies there if all works good. Currently there is only some (6-14) infantry patrolling Gorka and nearby forest/hill.

I'll try to improve that deliver part task, but I have used unaccurate waypoints for other tasks too. They are just to guide the player to rigth area where he needs to discover things himself. Thats the way I like it myself. Running from waypoint to next one can feel artificial and flat. Still I dont want the player to get lost and frustrated.

The trenches shouldnt make your mates stuck very easily but I'll see what can I do. I have played that part very much and only once my AI teammate have stucked there (to small fortress). But I moved the mg (its actually a searchlight) in this latest version. I'll move it more back if that fixes that issue.

The coffee is only optional and to prevent sight loss while driving from start to HQ. And even without coffee, player dosent get sleepy anymore when he gets to HQ. If you select "Skip to HQ" then you dont also need to worry about it.

The voice pitch for captain is already quite low and sounds like a normal older man to me.

Most of my scripts are quite invisible for the player. They just spawn/delete the detailed life where player goes, give waypoints and other behaviour scripts for units. There is only few units placed on map in editor. Rest is spawned. That is to keep FPS better. For me the mission is running now between 28-44 when the FPS was stucked to 20 before. I still get some slowdown later in optional NAPA task, but the next beta patch should fix that.

Edit (for all): BIS released a new beta patch 70951 today which fixes possible late game FPS loss in this mission.
« Last Edit: 27 May 2010, 22:32:09 by SaOk »

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #33 on: 29 May 2010, 12:52:35 »
Well,I played your mission with FPS which never came over 15 :D Not because of your mission but because of my CPU....

I haven't completed it yet.But this time I didn't forget to save the game.(I always forget saving the progress while playing a game,it seems like I got too deep into the game!)

You should create a light source using the createVehicle command instead of putting a fire at the entrance.
This make it more realistic, and professional.
FPS Lag :
I played your mission with Terrain Detail at Very Low,I didn't noticed that Terrain Detail was at very low!I only noticed it after about an hour of game play.
So some players might have set their terrain detail to somewhat high or very high which is not that effective in this mission.
Use the setTerrainGrid command to change the terrain detail at the mission.
Or set the terraindetail to lowest and add an option for the player to alter it during ingame(either via the action menu or the radio)
setterraingrid number
number can be :
50 - Smoothest, less lag
25 - Default in Multiplayer
12.5 - Default in Singleplayer
6.25 - High
3.125 - Bumpiest, higher lag (Highest)

Another idea is to set the view distance ,(maybe you've already done that)

setViewDistance number (I guess a 700m should be okay)

Regards,
Haroon1992
Very busy with life, business, and other stuff. Away from OFP for months. Not sure if I could get back onto it. :(

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #34 on: 31 May 2010, 11:59:09 »
Thx for the report. I will try that light source if it looks good and I could add an option to choose lower graphics. Player could also choose how much enemies he would face in battlefield. I will still take some pause from this mission and concentrate on my other mission project.

Offline haroon1992

• Members
  • My life is hopeless...
« Reply #35 on: 01 Jun 2010, 06:44:12 »
Off Topic :
That's a good idea,because it become boring if you edit and edit the same mission for a long time....
I am also working on two missions and many scripts (functions)

I work them in a cycle, and today, the ofp mission is the one I'm going to work.

This gives you new ideas and refreshness....
(Sometimes ,I pause playing ArmA 2 and play other games..too)

About the mission :
I tried your mission last night, again.
I was not that interested in ArmA 2 last night,because my one and only Albino Mouse has died that day.
I was just changing my concentration from thinking about my mouse's death to gaming.(So that I feel less sadness)

I tried to find the two soldiers(for more than three retries) but I was unable to spot them....
(Or has the mission designed so that the two soldiers are not really there and its just an additional objective?
But I don't think like that)
Each time an objective is completed,I got a shock,because of the sound you've added!
It was too loud for me and it frightens me everytime..
Maybe you should add another sound instead of that sound for task completion.

Can you tell me about your other mission?

Regards,
Haroon1992

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
« Reply #36 on: 01 Jun 2010, 12:39:40 »
The missing soldiers task is a little tricky. If you head right to the waypoint then they escape more easily. You'll spot them if you follow the small road from the camp. If you character hear something on the road then stop and wait. If not then continue northside of the waypoint forest before moving closer.

I could still modify those task sounds. The failing task sound is nice, but I could change the other effects and lower the sound levels little more.

My next mission is still at very early state and I am not sure if it will become any good. You will play as US side with help of CDF and local armed civilians. First task is to capture airfield from insurgents and find a construction truck from hangar which allows player to create fortifications and static weapons (with AI gunner). After insurgent counter-attacks are also gone, player will have some sidetasks to gather more resourses for limited "base building". Final task will be to defend the airport and nearby areas against overpowered russians. There will be many features including all the AI scripts from Black Forest. I am aiming for very detailed mission which would feel realistic. Only more arcade feature would be this constuction truck, but there will not be unit/vehicle factories.
« Last Edit: 01 Jun 2010, 15:35:14 by SaOk »

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [SP] Black Forest (Review Please)
« Reply #37 on: 20 Jul 2010, 17:04:55 »
« Last Edit: 20 Jul 2010, 22:29:49 by SaOk »

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: [SP] Black Forest (Under Review)
« Reply #38 on: 07 Nov 2010, 01:40:28 »
Started to review this one today.

Offline SaOk

• Missions Depot Staff
    • My youtube profile
Re: [SP] Black Forest (Under Review)
« Reply #39 on: 07 Nov 2010, 10:56:32 »
Excelent, thanks. :)