Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: V3 discussion Arma2 and OA  (Read 5286 times)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
V3 discussion Arma2 and OA
« on: 22 Aug 2009, 17:02:08 »
 I thought i would open this so people can discuss some differences they may stumble on when making new islands as well as discuss some problems which maybe related.

i have a few .

1. binarise now binarises all the clutter p3ds to the wrp ?
 i have just started  (bout an hour ago ) to binarise my Afghanistan setting map and noticed it is binarising all the clutter to the wrp.

2. If you Binarise and an error comes up ,Windows must shut down blah blah and you close it then binarise continues , this is a sign of failure and 99% of the time the island will not laod without crashing the game.

The reason for 99% of these in my case is that although the Path structure in configs point to there respective models like this for example "ca\plants2\clutter\c_autumn_flowers.p3d"
 Binarise will not accept it or read like the engine from The pbo prefix or cfgpatches."

If you look at the actual path for the above it is (this does not mean the pboprefixpath but the physical path or folder structure when pbos are unpacked to P@ drive).  "ca\plants2_Clutter\c_deadGrassBunch.p3d"
 this is how Binarise seees it. do not alter the path simply alter the folders themselves so the paths in your island configs read true. ( this is unless someone comes here with a solution , it maybe i am doing something wrong).

3 .  This is also a new one for me in my Binarise log , anyone got info on it ?

Found p:\afghanistan\Data\Layers\textures.lst, inserting textures not linked by .p3d-s.

I shall edit when i come across more  , but for now happy island making.

« Last Edit: 04 Jul 2010, 13:21:41 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
Re: V3 discussion about changes and effects caused
« Reply #1 on: 22 Aug 2009, 17:25:33 »
Thanks for sharing Deano.  :good:

Interesting finds / observations in there.
We are still at the start. Once we have found something or can comment,
I will be back.  :)

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #2 on: 23 Aug 2009, 13:13:25 »
Yeh, good thread while so many *weirdness* things remain unexplained. Well, unlearnt anyway.

A learnt lesson;
Turns out the BinPBO crashes were due to an unused p3d (OFP or ArmA1) I had laying around in my working directory for the island.
Even though I have my Plant files in the suggested CA/PLANT/SUBDIRECTORY structure, I don't get any errors (for some trees at least) so that tip seems to work all the way through to final product.

Next enigma .... ?!
"Found p:\gnt_bliss\Data\Layers\textures.lst, inserting textures not linked by .p3d-s..."

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #3 on: 23 Aug 2009, 14:01:12 »
 Yeah  i already got that one down mate, not sure what it does at all , its brand new report for me i suspect its probably because  the textures are listed as .PNG in the texture .lst and  changing to Paa will fix that ?  and your right if you Binarise an already binarised file binpbo will crash , learned that one many times :)

i have another interesting one , it seems the mask layer has a new extension of LCA .
 I havent tested yet but i noticed that Cernarus_data_layers,pbo contains rvmats that are

texture = "ca\chernarus\data\layers\m_029_018_lca.paa";

wher as when we complie ours they will be

".....................\M_014_017_lco.paa";

i am gonna do a small island test see if something changes i think but because of no errors i assume BIS built in a catch for old LCo and new LCA .

will report back here if any changes

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 14:39:21 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline kju

• Members
    • PvPScene - The ArmA II multiplayer community
« Reply #4 on: 23 Aug 2009, 15:56:56 »
The texture.lst might be to convert textures from png to paa that are not referenced in any model.
In A1 BI used a helper.p3d for those. Might be the new way to do it in their pipeline.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #5 on: 23 Aug 2009, 17:35:20 »
 Sounds like that's what it is Kju , i changed the list extensions to .PAA didnt change any thing smae report but again no problems when running island  in arma2.rpt

I also changed my mask layer to lca , everything ran smooth as before so i guess it accepts both Lco and LCA  , i will stick with lca forr ow to see if BIS report why they have also LCA.

Edit
 there may have been a benefit, before when i schose 10000 view dist textured dissapear on horizon , looked like square holes in landscape, this is not happening now, needs testing with an island without so much clutter ,so it dont take so long to Binarise  lol.

Jesus these island do take a long time to Bake in Binpbo tough  an average of 3 hours for mine so i guess i better make sure everythings right  b4 i do Binarise them.

Of course it wouldnt be normal if a new one didnt appear ;).

when in custom island (whilst playing) its ok when i  alter shadows to very high ,everything works great ( with everything on high too).
 But if you restart mission when you return there is a very Big shadow looming over player unit , i had this before  in conversions but didnt expect with new tools . seems there maybe a missing line in config or something more serious .

shadows on normal
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp43/DeanosBeano/shad1.jpg

shadows set to high or very high
http://i396.photobucket.com/albums/pp43/DeanosBeano/shad2.jpg

« Last Edit: 23 Aug 2009, 18:19:25 by DeanosBeano »
I love ofp

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #6 on: 23 Aug 2009, 18:59:50 »
Yep ... holes in the terrain at high VD :(
Soooo, how did you fix that? Just just simply renamed the M series files from lco to lca ?
... you'd think the Visotor would do it for you if its standard for BIS islands!

Haven't tested the shadow thing yet, but getting some random effects with the Intro mission, sometimes it triggers, sometimes not! Sometimes the camera is following a unit, sometimes it doesnt!

2 new things
- My 256x50 (12.8km) island hasnt yet crashed with a high speed plane or at full VD (was usual trigger for me)
- MOST IMPORTANT! Big AI ships will now move! YAH! (big ship AI didnt work in custom islands in ArmA1)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #7 on: 23 Aug 2009, 19:31:16 »

Good news about the ships ).

I havent really tested enough to say its a fix, but i simply changed the mask_lco to mask_lca before importing the sta mask for the island, this resulted in all my M---- layers becoming m-------.lca

i need to do more tests because although there is a definite lack of the dissaperaing stuff , i  thought when i was flying at 4000 i saw some disapearing again , however  its certainly improved thats for sure, whether its changing the texture .lst to .paa`s or this LCA buisness will need more testing .
 If someone has a smaller less cluttered island would be great to test , mine is sooo big and full of clutter its taking 3-4 hours to bake in BIN pbo lol

I love ofp

Offline Gnat

• Addons Depot
  • I Bite!
    • Gnats
« Reply #8 on: 23 Aug 2009, 19:52:35 »
Nar, that lco to lca trick didnt help me. Seems to be the same holes at distance.
A chance it was something else you did?

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #9 on: 23 Aug 2009, 20:33:07 »

damn :(.
 i did put everything on full whack mate and made the resolution same as me monitor , forgot name of the option its second one down on top left of the advanced options .

theres definite improvement though whatever it was , just tested again.
I love ofp

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
Re: V3 discussion Arma2 and OA
« Reply #10 on: 04 Jul 2010, 13:27:48 »

Well a new Expansion and i guess this means new experiments to achieve the new spec of custom islands available.

I have started OA and played about with it , the clutter etc looks to be very soft shaded ( much like Mike Barts stuff).
 There is some new extensions to the textures , which i guess is better parallax .

SO to the main question , how do we set up for AO islands without new tools ?
 I have so far copied BIN,CORE and Arma2OA.exe to the Pdrive and this allows me to view island in OA.
 However if i then create a new satelite and mask under this setup , and re binarise all textures go black on surface.
 I have then took the data from Takistan and then re addressed my Layers.cfg to accomodate and still black ground.
 I now wonder if i must also replace something in the Texview2 folder and also the Binfolder as the latter contains the Bin of A2 and not OA ?

If anyone is having any sucess thus far please let us know about it
cheers DB
I love ofp