Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Arma II Briefing Manager (ACCEPTED)  (Read 20910 times)

Offline Pirin

• Members
Re: Arma II Briefing Manager
« Reply #15 on: 22 Aug 2009, 23:34:35 »
Excellent news!  Some of the mission designers in my group were having so much trouble with briefings, they'll love using this.

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: 01 Sep 2009, 20:15:54 »
Hi,

Just uploaded the latest version (1.1) of the Briefing Manager.

I added the possibility to convert OFP/Arma briefings that was in HTML format to the new Arma II format (SQF).

Objectives are converted to tasks an any other relevant sections are converted to notes.

You might need to manually change some titles, Task #1 might not be explicit enough, but it will definitely help a lot if you're trying to convert your briefings.

Pictures and markers are correctly transfered in the right format and the text links are idientified by {LINK} in front of them. Since they are useless in the new format I could have remove them but some relevant information might be in there. If not, just delete the useless ones.

To open an HTML file, just select HTML format in the Open Dialog.
After opening the HTML file you'll receive a message asking you if you want to create the file A2BM_Briefing.html. This is in fact your debriefing file. Say yes if you want it. The program use the debriefing data of the HTML briefing file. To use it in your missions, just rename it Briefing.html.

I hope I'm done for now, unless some bugs are discovered...

Have fun!

Cheers

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 01 Sep 2009, 20:53:04 »
Conversion of briefings is a good improvement  :good:  That said, it is a shame you've chosen to proceed with the frustrating multiple-installer set-up (when fixing the 'issues' with it would take less than 2 minutes of your time), etc. - and haven't prefixed your generated variables with your OFPEC tag, as advised.  If you read over my earlier post, I offer several simple solutions to the installer issue.

At the end of the day, it's Mando's choice as to whether this is accepted to the ED in its current state - but if it were (entirely) up to me, I'd certainly want to see at least the variables tagged before accepting it, as it's just likely to cause people trouble at some stage.  Software should be as hassle-free as possible - but the variable naming style, and cumbersome installation process aren't really holding to that mantra at the moment.

Please, spare the 5 minutes it'll take you to fix these basic problems (for less-experienced users).  :good:

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: 01 Sep 2009, 22:02:32 »
Hi,

Sorry man, I dont think I understand what you're talking about.

OFPEC Tag for an executable ?

I tought those things were for addons and scripts that can conflict with other ingame variables. I'm not using any global variables but even if I was I fail to see how an executable running in its own windows workspace can conflict with any other program running in another one.

Oh, wait... I think I get it. You're talking about the script generated by the program. Well, if it's the case, sorry it's my bad. You are right, I do use some global variables so users can manipulate the briefing objects from their own scripts. Ok, so the tags are there just in case so there is no conflicts. Very smart, I should have tought of that. Sorry man, most of the time my brain is somewhere else so it took me some time to focus on what you were saying. I know that I could get on people nerves some times because of that. Ok, what do I do now...I'll read your post again and I'll be back to you.

About the installer, I think I could just put the exe and the ocx file in a zip. It should work, at least with XP. Then no more installation problems at all.

Sorry again man, the last thing I wanted to do was to give you problems. I just want to share something I find usefull with the community (that has given me so much) nothing more nothing less.

Ok, let's see about those tags...

Cheers

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 01 Sep 2009, 22:12:29 »
Oh, wait... I think I get it. You're talking about the script generated by the program. Well, if it's the case, sorry it's my bad.
Yup, that's exactly what I mean!  Sorry I wasn't more clear :)  It should simply help to clear up any conflicts users might find (e.g. if they named something manually, and it conflicted with one of your variables).

About the installer, I think I could just put the exe and the ocx file in a zip. It should work, at least with XP. Then no more installation problems at all.
Sounds good to me :)  I was just concerned that some users less technically-savvy users might become confused by the 'two-stage' install!

Sorry again man, the last thing I wanted to do was to give you problems. I just want to share something I find usefull with the community (that has given me so much) nothing more nothing less.
No problems for me, but I just wanted to stress that I think it's important to resolve possible conflicts and 'usability problems' before finalising an application.  It's an advantage to everyone: people have an easier app to use, and you get more people inspiring you to make developments!  Everyone wins  :good:

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: 01 Sep 2009, 22:23:18 »
Hi,

I registered my tag and modify the program.
I just put the dlls and the exe together in the zip. It should work no problem.

Thanks for your patience

Cheers

Offline JamesF1

• Editors Depot Staff
    • JamesBurgess.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 02 Sep 2009, 00:32:30 »
Looks great  :good:

Offline tcp

• Members
    • Violator Gaming
« Reply #22 on: 02 Sep 2009, 19:38:57 »
Feature Request: When you put single quotes ("text"), can you make it so they are automatically converted to double quotes (""text""). It will break briefing files for people who don't know they can't use single quotes.

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: 03 Sep 2009, 12:50:32 »
Hi,

Uploaded a corrected version.

There was a potential nasty bug just waiting to appear.

Cheers

@tcp
Good idea.
But now I would have to check if they did not put the double quotes already...
Next update.

Thanks
« Last Edit: 03 Sep 2009, 16:09:40 by alimag »

Offline DaKa

• Members
  • Loyalty is my Honor.
Re: Arma II Briefing Manager (ACCEPTED)
« Reply #24 on: 07 Sep 2009, 21:36:17 »
"Feature Request: When you put single quotes ("text"), can you make it so they are automatically converted to double quotes (""text""). It will break briefing files for people who don't know they can't use single quotes." Hot darn tcp you just saved me! I was starting to break things when I saw that one of the sections was not working  (I had single quotes). Thank you man! Sorry for being off-topic.  :whistle:

Offline 3inar

• Members
« Reply #25 on: 13 Nov 2009, 13:55:15 »
Hi,

@kju
I did not forget you but real life has taken to much of my time recently. I'll be back to you.

@Dazakiwi
If your briefing is not showing at all then your problem is probably the way you call it.
A brief reminder:

1 - Save the file as briefing.sqf

2 - In your init.sqs (if you dont have one, create it) add the line [] execVM "briefing.sqs". Now, there is no way it will not show.

3 - If you want to start with the briefing open, you'll need also a briefing.html file in your mission directory.

As for your other question, yes there are places that you could correct or add things without messing the file for the editor but I would NOT recommend it. Stay on the safe side and use the editor to modify your briefing file.

@ArMaTeC
You're right. I tought of it but since the file is not supposed to be manually modified I did not see the necessity to make it easier to read. People might be tempted to modify it themselves...

Cheers

I have done this but I still cant get the briefing up in the game :/

and this is how my briefing looks (just a test one)

and heres the init.sqf

I do wright  this [] execVM "briefing.sqs" in the init file but the sqf still changes to [] execVM

Edit: I just noticed that I was suposed to wright it in an sqs file :/
Whell I realy dont know how to make a sqs file or what programs to use so hellp is needed :/

Thanks in advance!! :)
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2009, 14:00:38 by 3inar »

Offline alimag

• Contributing Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: 13 Nov 2009, 19:52:29 »
Hi 3inar,

1 - The program will generate a file that you should call briefing.sqf.

2 - Take this file and put it in your mission directory (the directory of the mission the briefing is created for).

3 - Then, in that same mission directory create a text file that you'll name init.sqf. Now, this is important, be sure the file is a text file (with no formatting) and that it is named exactly init.sqf.

4 - Open the init.sqf that you've just created with any text editor, notepad will do, and type this in it:

[] execVM "briefing.sqf";

5 - Save the file and run your mission from the editor. When you press the map key (M by default) your briefing should be there.

Hope I was clear enough

Cheers

Offline 3inar

• Members
« Reply #27 on: 13 Nov 2009, 22:32:30 »
Perfectly described and thanks! :), but still it dosent work :(

I have don this a cuple of times now and nothing hapeneds...

Im gona try downloading it one more time to see if there is something wrong with the copy that I downloaded.

Edit: nope still wont work :( Im still doing exactly what you described in the Post but I still got nothing... :/

Not one single thing shows up on the map...
« Last Edit: 13 Nov 2009, 22:50:13 by 3inar »

Offline Moby Dave

• Members
« Reply #28 on: 07 Dec 2010, 19:20:56 »
  Hi
 I jiust downloaded the Arma 2 briefing manager and it will not open for me. This is the error message that I get.   --------->  [Component"COMDLG32.OCX" or one of it's dependencies is not correctly registered; a file is missing.] :dunno:

Can someone please help? I need something real bad to help me with making tasks and briefings.
Moby

Offline kMaN

• Members
« Reply #29 on: 27 Feb 2011, 07:22:42 »
Thanks for making a tool for us noobies to try and understand how to make briefings, etc.  Does this tool create a MP and/or JIP compatible briefing.sqf?

Thanks again for the awesome tool!