Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: COOP->14. We Were Soldiers  (Read 2363 times)

Offline KevBaz

• Members
COOP->14. We Were Soldiers
« on: 12 Jul 2009, 01:23:32 »
Hi Folks

After catching the Arma2 bug i decied to dig up some of my old ofp missions, this we were soldiers map was made about 6-7 years i go i woudl guess.. at the time it used all vietnam addons, such as evis's origional hueys and seb's nam island.

I have painstakingly converted it to be used in arma, and after many hours labour im very happy with the result, alot (all) of the scripts had to be reworked to boot, but touch wood its working well. now onto the info....

Oh please exscuse the corny mission briefing below.. i was young and nieve hehe

Code: [Select]
WE WERE SOLDIERS

Thanks for trying this mission, it is still in early beta so expect a few bugs. please report all bugs to either directly to me at kevbaz@yahoo.com or in the forum where you found this.

c00p->14

WELCOME TO HELL SOLDIERS
Two days ago our base in Mogilevka was attacked and destroyed by enemy forces, these forces were then seen heading towards Pusta, which is believed to be an enemy base. You are to launch a counter attack on Pusta, you will be operating out of our base near the town of Balota, where you will be airlifted to a LZ a few kilometers west of Pusta, where you may or may not encounter an enemy presence. Our inteligence thinks there may be a small outpost south east of the LZ at Prigorodki, be on your guard!

The enemy are battle hardend, and their snipers are top marksmen!

Good luck soldiers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you die you will respawn at the US base near Balota, this is to simulate a medivac, you will respawn in the medic centre, here you will have to re-arm and jump onboard a chopper, then use your radio to activate the airlift (0-0-1) you will be taken back to the battlefield.
You are provided with airsupport in the way of a SINGLE airstrike.
To complete your mission you have to get to the enemy base in Pusta and raise the Stars and Stripes
WARNING DO NOT ATTEMPT TO EJECT FROM THE CHOPPERS!! YOU ARE A MARINE NOT A PARATOOPER!!!!

// Primary Objective
tskObj1 = player createSimpleTask["Raise the US flag over Pusta"];
tskObj1 setSimpleTaskDescription["You are going to have to fight your way to Pusta, expect heavy resistance on the way and in Pusta itself, once your have secured the town make sure you raise our flag!.", "Raise the US flag over Pusta", "Raise the US flag over Pusta"];
player setCurrentTask tskObj1;

// Secondary Objective
tskObj2 = player createSimpleTask["Secure Prigorodki"];
tskObj2 setSimpleTaskDescription["Intel leads us to believe the enemy are well dug in at Prigorodki, use any means necessary to eliminate these forces. We have CAS targeting the town so if you need air support during your attack use your radio to call it in, a supply drop is also available.", "Secure Prigorodki", "Secure Prigorodki"];
//>---------------------------------------------------------<

Addons needed:

NONE

Arma Version:

Known Bugs:

Mission doesnt end.
Intermittant supply drop issues.
Music isnt working

Change log: v.075

Mission briefing now added.
Refined the scripts and removed origional unused ones.
Slightly adjusted chopper waypoints.
Added setviewdistance 2000 to help with system lag.

DOWNLOAD v0.65
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZTP3P7QX

DOWNLOAD v0.75
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=K2TQ7M70
« Last Edit: 14 Jul 2009, 22:17:46 by KevBaz »

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
Re: COOP->14. We Were Soldiers
« Reply #1 on: 12 Jul 2009, 03:30:21 »
We just gave it a try with Zipper5, and we thought it still could use a lot of work.

First off, the briefing. I see you've got it in the known bugs list, but why wasn't it implemented in the mission anyway? If you don't know how, here's a good tutorial about it. Should be helpful.

To the mission itself... Well, right after it started, we had no idea what to do or what's going to happen until we discovered the commands in the radio menu. I hope you'll have a note about them in the briefing or, for now, at least a hint in the mission itself to advice the player to use them.

After some while of flying, above the supposed LZ, our chopper started to take some enemy fire from unknown location. The chopper then took off to the North and started hovering above some woods without moving. Knowing that he wouldn't go off anywhere from that position, we ejected the chopper in mid-air, without parachutes, causing fatal results.

We thought the mission was depended on the team leader slot or something like that (We only took the LMG and AT unit slots), so we then enabled all the AI and I became the team leader. But that same thing occured again, but fortunately the chopper yield to land when I ordered the team to dismount in mid-air. We then landed 1500m directly to the North of the first waypoint, way off the supposed LZ. Nevertheless, we continued on to the first objective and just when we arrived, I started to get some massive perfomance drop. I thought it was just my computer, rendering the buildings in nearby cities or something, but this occured permanently, even after respawning back to the home base. At this point, Zipper5 had to leave so I quit the mission aswell.

Does the mission have heavy scripts running or anything like that? I thought about that, because even Harvest Red the campaign, which is supposed to be really heavy, runs fine on my rig...

I hope you'll manage to improve the mission and sort out what I reported so far, so we can have a proper test of it. :)

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 12 Jul 2009, 03:41:59 »
Many thanks for the feedback.

the briefing is wip and not implemented yet, although to be fair i did post here and in the readme the breifing out line including the radio command to get going.

It is dependant on someone being squad leader unfortunatley, and with regards to the performance drop, theres only a couple of scripts in the mission, and theyre not active all the time, i  played the mission for a couple of hours earlier to completion and never had a slow down like your mentioning.

I do have a bit of tidying to do with regards to the scripts so hopefully that will help.

could you possibly try this version again, on your own, as a squad leader and see if the performance issue returns? it might be related to multiple players and scripts wanting to run on all clients where it only really needs to run on the server.

the helicopters not landing is odd, im yet to have that issue but i will definatley look into it.

many thanks for the feedback :)

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #3 on: 12 Jul 2009, 03:58:19 »
Yeah, sorry, I didn't notice your message about the radio commands here nor the readme. I often just simply download new missions here without reading the info in the release posts carefully. :D

We'll keep in mind the dependance of the squad leader.

About the scripts, that's odd. It could have been some other software running in the background on my computer too which sucked all the perfomance. I'll have to look more into it and report if I still suffer from bad perfomance on this mission.

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 12 Jul 2009, 12:32:21 »
Version 0.75 now available :)

Change log: v.075

Mission briefing now added.
Refined the scripts and removed origional unused ones.
Slightly adjusted chopper waypoints.
Added setviewdistance 2000 to help with system lag.code]

Offline Rellikki

• Members
  • Die-hard OFP player
« Reply #5 on: 13 Jul 2009, 03:12:24 »
After a little bit of more testing with the new version, I didn't suffer from perfomance drops anymore. Maybe it was some other software sucking the perfomance as I thought earlier or maybe your scripts refining did the trick. :)
Anyway, I will send some more feedback when we get the chance to move on in the mission. We're still trying to accomplish the first objective.

Offline KevBaz

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 15 Jul 2009, 22:51:52 »
assaulting the first town directly throught the open field is a sure way of dying, best tactics is for one team to flank right the other to flank left through the woods  :whistle:

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 21 Jul 2009, 04:42:06 »
Hi, 2 of us gave this ago tonight. Firstly, don't use spaces  in your mission name. Use _  to seperate words. Good idea to also use versioning in the file name along with having it in the mission title ( so its easier for a server admin to select the right mission version)

Briefing.  

The task description is too long and not fully visible on my screen. Not a problem on bigger monitors.

Under Hints & Tips, you have a double 'to'. In fact that whole sentence could be re written.

Overall a very detailed briefing, I like the info section, good place to store version numbers and credits.

You might wish to include a note under the leaders description so in the lobby it shows something like (leader req'd) I've seen shark attack do this in many missions for arma.

I would also consider adding a weapons pool so the player can ammo up before beginning. Personally i hate the m4 and would like to take any other weapon over it.

Mission

Had some problems with the airlift. Once we respawned we were no longer able to use it again.
We had some problems with group1 not being inserted properly, the helo just stayed hovering. so we jumped. Perhaps you could use a eject script so that its a bit more graceful. For group2 it seemed to land and let out the units.

Notes disappeared after respawn.

« Last Edit: 21 Jul 2009, 04:44:18 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks