Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: OFP-kick A%$ mission-Watch this space!!!  (Read 5709 times)

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
OFP-kick A%$ mission-Watch this space!!!
« on: 19 May 2009, 13:02:38 »
Ok, so I haven't been on this site for ages, But I have an almost complete kick A%$ mission that I will post soon. If anyone has played my other missions you will know what to expect. Except this one is more refined and with no bugs except the savegame one (which there is a way around). This is a dynamic, multiple insertion/extraction anywhere on the island mission with loads of enemy, different types of objective & cool atmospherics.

This is a West Vs Guerilla mission where physical objectives arrive during gameplay BUT, what wins you the mission is inflicting casuatlies on the enemy.   

What to expect:

Fast rope insertions,

Player or team member carries radio to call extraction, CAS or ARTY with HE rounds, smoke (GRAA addon allows for AI smoke blindness) & flares.
without your radio only TACBE (tactical emergency beacon) exists and extraction will come if needed.

Game set over many days and nights with reasonable time skips to simulate operation preparations. No time skip during insertion so you know to prepare for day or night mission.

AI artillery,

AI radio (w/sound) calling contact grid refs. & GPS style map updates, plenty of radio chatter,

large choice of squad Load outs,

Platoon reinforcement, platoon support,

Enemy+friendly casualty counter,

Deleting of dead units with reasonable time lag to allow you to collect ammo e.t.c...

Spawning of enemy during 'fade to black' points to curtail lag and make it a smooth transition.

Set objectives and targets of opportunity,

Dynamic enemy,

Dynamic weather,

A select few large addons which give the game a whole new atmosphere and very few small ones for coolness.

Addons will be supplied with mission in seperate zip so, you don't have to search for them or click loads of links to find a working download site. 

COMMING SOON - Watch this space!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kendo

Edit 21/05/09:
SAVING THE GAME

Unfortunatley due to the constant spawning and deleting of units in this mission a same bug (continue.fps) existis peculiar to OFP. This means you cannot retry from a saved position after exiting the game.

BUT fear not here is the solution all be it a clumsy one.

10 easy steps....

1.First play the game
2.Save you mission with the soldier in the base
3.Exit game
4.Goto the save file and make a copy, put the copy somewhere safe (i.e. anouther folder)
5.Go about your daily buisness
6.Open OFP, restart the mission from the begining
7.Save your mission again in the base
8.Pause game and ALT-TAB to windows
9.Take your safe copy (step 4) and replace the new savefile with the old one.
10.Hit the retry button and cross your fingers!

It Works trust me... since this game is long and is different everytime you play it will be worth it!
« Last Edit: 21 May 2009, 21:10:27 by Kendo J »

Offline ProfTournesol

• Members
  • OFP Addict
Re: OFP-kick A%$ mission-Watch this space!!!
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2009, 19:11:20 »
Very good news, does it use Vanilla OFP or recent mods such as very nice Sanctuary WW4 mod ?

By the way, i'm French and i do like British cheese a lot...even if the variety assertion is highly doubtfull  :D
« Last Edit: 20 May 2009, 16:59:43 by ProfTournesol »
OFP Napoleonic Mod leader - OFP WW1 Mod leader

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #2 on: 20 May 2009, 00:12:19 »
Iam up for a KickA$$Kendo mission  :yes: .. sounds really good!
« Last Edit: 20 May 2009, 20:45:05 by schuler »
Semper Fi

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #3 on: 20 May 2009, 12:22:08 »
The savegame bug is what turned me away from one of your previous missions.

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 20 May 2009, 15:51:40 »
Very good news, does it use Vanilla OFP or recent mods such as very nice Sanctuary WW4 mod ?

By the way, i'm French and i do like Brisith cheese a lot...even if the variety assertion is highly doubtfull  :D

It uses GRAA3 I haven't got WW4 yet but will soon when this mission is completed.

Glad you like British cheese, I like french cheese. But mostly things always taste better when they are eaten in thier local.

The problem with british cheese is that during the second world war all cheese producers had to produce cheap cheddar and this led to alot of traditional varieties being lost. There is a resugance in small and artisan producers and we have over 800 regestered varieties of traditional cheese in this country.

The savegame bug is what turned me away from one of your previous missions.

Do you know there is a way around this? it is not too bad once you are used to it. Plus you can load a savegame if you do not exit OFP during your game. However, this mission is one I think people will dive in and out of, even tho it has an end you can just enjoy it for the combat.

Ok mission is almost done just writing the breifing this always take me ages!!!!

next day or two it'll be done. Hopefully ready for the weekend!

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 21 May 2009, 05:10:06 »
Well, I could be a smart alek and state that the only true way around it is to create the mission in a way that it avoids that bug by reducing your global variables and the addons used that also use many global variables but that would not be very helpful would it? I recently encountered the same issue with one of my own missions and the result was me reworking the mission to exclude that misfeature. I just don't see the point in releasing a mission that people have to manipulate in order to get it to work. But that's just my opinion.

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 21 May 2009, 09:13:35 »
Well, I could be a smart alek and state that the only true way around it is to create the mission in a way that it avoids that bug by reducing your global variables and the addons used that also use many global variables but that would not be very helpful would it?

I can understand your point savedbygrace. The reason why I build a mission that has this bug is the same reason I don't upgrade to AA. Because my computer sucks. Therefore I have to build in alot of spawning and deleteing inorder to control the lag, which includes alot of global variables.

In order to complete this mission you and your side must kill around 400 - 500 enemy, including the losses on your side the total number of casualties I have had in a test was about 800 (I have a script for counting casualties), not including vehicles. There is no way in hell my PC would be able to play a mission with so many units in a 'standard' style mission.

Anyway my point is that you don't have to play it! Just give it ago, you might be surprised. It is unlike almost any other SP mission out there (expect my older ones...).

Still in process of writing breifing and ironing out some minor details, Other than that almost done...

Kendo

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 21 May 2009, 20:35:36 »
LOL. I see your view clearly. Don't want to spark a dispute of any type but I would like to recommend that you state clearly on your first post, the workaround for that savegame bug so that others know what to expect and how to conquer it. I'll of course give it a go since you submit it and hopefully, all will be well. I appreciate your efforts and willingness to continue creating missions for OFP and submitting them to the forums.

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #8 on: 21 May 2009, 21:20:01 »
ok posted the savegame work around....

If I had enough money to buy a new PC I would upgarde to AA. but I am a simple man and OFP is all I can afford.

Anyhow, no dispute. I too am also glad people are still playing OFP, it has alot to offer that hasn't been explored! BTW I didn't like AA when I played it, hope the sequels are better!

Kendo

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: 21 May 2009, 23:31:49 »
  :cop: Ok brake it up! Brake it up! In a joking voice. I like to call i productive engagement of Keyboard Combat!

Kendo if you have over 400 kills to make in one mission it sounds like more then a 24hr game. So the save game is a must in order to make it a real mission. It would be nice to have it totally playable from start to finish. Plus that way it makes it a reviewable mission and we can wipe another mission up in the depot.
Might I add another option you could through in?
By radio or at the main base or what ever the case may be add an ‘end mission' option for those whom would like to play for an hour or two and see how many kills they have on their belt. Or really go out of your why and add a pic of a metal(s) after so many kills in the debriefing(s).
Just a thought.  :scratch: 
Cheers schuler
Ps I as Gracy there also appreciate your efforts and willingness to continue creating missions for OFP.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2009, 23:45:55 by schuler »
Semper Fi

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #10 on: 22 May 2009, 00:50:11 »
:cop:

It's a fair cop Gov!

Kendo if you have over 400 kills to make in one mission it sounds like more then a 24hr game...
Might I add another option you could through in?
By radio or at the main base or what ever the case may be add an ‘end mission' option for those whom would like to play for an hour or two and see how many kills they have on their belt.

It's in there already...

Don't worry it's all good larks here!

Or really go out of your why and add a pic of a metal(s) after so many kills in the debriefing(s).

Not doing anything fancy, just want to get the mission out.
Arrg... breifings and debreifings are the bain of my life!
Except for 'cutscenes' but we don't talk about those in my house!

Sorry to let you all down, you don't actually make 400 kills, possible but highly unlikely. Your team and other units on your side make up the total of kills and losses, it also counts the amount of combat operations your side completes, e.g A platoon attacks 2 towns, if they suceed then thats 1 operation complete, if you help well it will get done faster, sounds complicated but really it is not... and yes it will take time to play... perhaps any prospective reviews could be how many kills in an hour? At the moment the mission ends after 10 operations. Problem is during testing sometimes it takes 20 min to complete an operation, and sometimes over an hour. working on that right now. So better stop typing soon!

I considered dropping the combat operation counter in place of; total number of kills completes the mission. But, decided to go the more difficult route 'cos I'm an idiot!

Regards
Kendo

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #11 on: 22 May 2009, 05:09:28 »
ok we will let you get some work done maybe Kendo
decided to go the more difficult route 'cos I'm an idiot!
dont be taking my job!!!!
Semper Fi

Offline Kendo J

• Members
« Reply #12 on: 22 May 2009, 11:56:03 »
Progress for the weekend...

HOW THE MISSION WORKS.
You are a sort of spec ops / quick reaction force... 10 man elite squad with loads of fire power!

There are two territories on the map. one NATO and one bad guys.

you can insert and extract at anywhere and at anytime you like!
Your Base includes an officer (for requesting insertion & saving), armourer and medic (Replaces your casualties and gives a mission/Kills SITREP)

When you first insert in to enemy area you will have to secure the LZ you land at. Two Ranger Helos will arrive and fast rope in a platoon. This platoon will have two objectives and a firesupport base to secure. At this point you can patrol the route to the objective or extract and insert closer to it.

When you insert into your own territory the enemy will try to attack one or both of your bases.
Your job is to patrol the area and Seek and destroy them. Also defend the bases if they get too close!

At any other point if a mission has just completed and you are not ready to extract there are usually a few enemy knocking around. such as enemy convoys or AA units that need to be taken care of!

OBJECTIVE OF THE GAME
OK so so the objective of the game is you have to help other platoons complete thier mission objectives which is usually attacking & sometimes defending, and of course responding to contacts anywhere else on the map. the AI itself can take ages to do this and if they take too many casualties they will fail. But with your help it can be done quite quickly. The average time is about 20min per mission. So in theory the game is not quite a 24h slog, more like 2-3 hours...

That is an optimistic estimate tho. The average kills I have per mission completetion is 45-55 therefore, by the end of the game you should have about 500 enemy kills. My side (west) looses about 15 men per mission. the Game ends after 10 missions are completed.

ANYWAY the real progress...

Briefing is half done, then just a few minor things like flag poles, field hospitals and ammo crates to add. Will have to open a new thread in Mission Beta testing soon... Hopefully will complete tommorow, no promises tho.

Must get to my real work now and earn money!
Kendo,

Offline schuler

• Contributing Member
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2009, 12:28:38 »
you can insert and extract at anywhere and at anytime you like!
Your Base includes an officer (for requesting insertion & saving), armourer and medic (Replaces your casualties and gives a mission/Kills SITREP)
Very good stuff!
From what i have read so far you do have a kickA$$ mission going on here, i hope it lives up to the devotion it sounds like you've put into it. it would be a shame to tell you that it sucks indepthly with nasty contempt and you have swindled all of my enthusiasm for all missions every made in my life time.  ;)
Semper Fi

Offline ProfTournesol

• Members
  • OFP Addict
« Reply #14 on: 22 May 2009, 13:31:20 »
It sounds very nice. Looking forward to test it. We're still quite a few to support OFP.
By the way, you're right about cheese...we French only have 400 sorts of cheese...damnation !
OFP Napoleonic Mod leader - OFP WW1 Mod leader