Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [MP/COOP/A.C.E.] 1-10 Combat Search and Rescue [TEF]  (Read 9119 times)

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
Title: Combat Search and Rescue [TEF]
Author: Jackal
Mission Version: 2.00 (A.C.E. version :good: )
Download:[/b]  See attachment.

Story:
You and your team are members of the Combat Search and Rescue unit. Your mission is to infiltrate hostile environment and successfully recover downed air crews. Here is your chance:

An F-15E, callsign "Foxtrot23," was hit by an SLA surface-to-air missile during an aerial recon mission over Sahrani. The aircraft was unable to maintain altitude and dropped off of radar. We have detected the pilot's emergency locator signal offshore. The WSO (Weapon Systems Officer) is still missing in action. Enemy radio chatter indicates SLA elements are actively looking for both of them. Let's go get 'em.

Gametype: MP COOP
Players: 10 (minimum of 2)
Arma version: 1.14 (tested with 1.16 beta)
Addons: A.C.E. (tested with version 1.09)
Mission time: Minimum time 25 mins to 1.5+ hours depending
Intro: No
Parameters: Selectable Number of Revives
Revive: NO YES
Time: Daytime
Weather: Stormy and windy

Known issues: No known issues  

Installation: Copy the pbo file into your "ArmA\MPmissions" folder.

NOTES:
-2.0 version uses A.C.E. effects, Norrin's Revive scripts, Wolfy's enemy Camps, and Kronzky's UPS scripts
-Many improvements over 1.0x version
-Uses Jackal's "popsmoke.sqs" script
-Improved artillery script based on Ext3rminator's older version uses Nemesis9's explosion effects
-Several new custom sound files

Mission concept:
This mission is meant to foster teamwork amongst players. Voice comms recommended. Players play as a member of the CSAR (Combat Search and Rescue) UH-60 team or CAS team (FFAR UH60). The mission starts out with the simple objective of finding the pilot at a known location offshore but there is more to it than just rescuing the pilot. His WSO (F-15 Weapon Sytems Officer) is still missing  ;). The mission encourages teamwork, tactics, and good piloting skills because you will need all three if you expect to make it through the mission. No revive. A.C.E version 2.00 and beyond has selectable revive options. Every player slot has a role to fill but some are more important than others. I tried to create something fresh for ARMA using the ability to swim and interact with AI to a small degree. The ultimate goal however, is to create a realistic scenario with a definite theme- Combat Search and Rescue. While it is not a "shoot-em-up" there is (or should be) a satisfying level of action in this mission.

Special:
-Every player has a "Water Survival Pack." It is a smoke/dye marker meant to mark one's location at sea or on land. You won't need to carry a smoke grenade to use it. You can only use it once but can "get another" one by entering an aircraft.

-Radio chatter

-There is a hidden objective in the rare case that some players are playing as the FFAR UH-60 crew AND their chopper goes down. If this happens, a new objective will require the CSAR UH-60 team to rescue surviving CAS players and bring them to base before mission will end.

-There is also HQ advice on how to get home in the unlikely event that the rescue chopper goes down but at least some of the crew and main objective survives the crash.

-At the forward operating base you start out at there is a kinda cool sequence where AI soldiers appear to be repairing a 3rd chopper that has seen some action. I put it in for ambience.

My request to you:
Play it and suggest improvements or notify me of errors.

EDIT: 4/17/2009 Uploaded latest version and edited top post to reflect changes
EDIT: 8/21/2009 A.C.E version 2.00 uploaded.  :clap:
« Last Edit: 21 Aug 2009, 11:54:02 by Jackal »
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Re: [MP/COOP/ADDON-FREE] 1-10 TEF Combat Search and Rescue
« Reply #1 on: 11 Apr 2009, 13:30:46 »
Is it not possible to play this with just 1 player?
This looks like a nice idea for a mission, but I won't be able to gather a MP session for a while  :no:

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2009, 00:06:34 »
Laggy, technically it is "possible" but impractical because for the first objective the pilot will need to locate the downed pilot at sea and another player acting as a rescue swimmer will have to jump out of the chopper and make contact with the downed pilot. At that point he will join your squad and you can go from there. That is why the mission leader is the copilot, NOT the pilot, so that players can share the workload. Piloting sounds easy but many a chopper got "swamped" or lost at sea in beta test sessions  :whistle:. From observing a few play-throughs on the [TEF] server, sometimes the player pilot would have to return to base for repair leaving the swimmer stranded out there with the downed pilot  :o. That is what the survival pack is for because it is really hard for pilot to spot a person bobbing in the water otherwise. Door gunners and flight engineers make great spotters to aid in the effort so the more players present the more realistic the mission will feel.

That is why i recommended a minimum of 2 players but ideally having a full crew for both birds would make for an enjoyable gaming experience. My experiences has shown that a solid group of 4-7 players should be able to accomplish the entire mission working together.
« Last Edit: 12 Apr 2009, 00:39:39 by Jackal »

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2009, 06:44:15 »
I completed this mission without ever firing a single shot nor did enemy shoot at me ever.... I think I saw a UAZ but I was flying over it to fast for it to shoot at me.

Is this more of a training mission? I could have easily done this by myself but I played it with about 10 other guys.... people on TS and ppl not on TS....

I got a mesage after I picked up the pilot saying that boats were coming.... No boats showed up at the base when I got there.... maybe they were suppose to move to the pilot position in the sea and I just got the pilot too quick....
TS3 IP: tor.zebgames.com:9992

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #4 on: 12 Apr 2009, 12:28:25 »
I completed this mission without ever firing a single shot nor did enemy shoot at me ever.... I think I saw a UAZ but I was flying over it to fast for it to shoot at me.

ironman thanks for the feedback. can you tell me what player slot you were in, how quickly you and your team left the base? Basically a summary of how you played it? I will have to look into triggers.

Did the objective tick off when you returned the pilot back at base?
Did he leave your squad at arrival back at helipad?
Did you get to objective #2? the WSO?

EDIT: I don't want to give the mission away but since it is in beta, once you return the pilot to base, these hidden objectives appear:
3. Recover F-15E WSO "Joker23Bravo."
4. Return Weapon Systems Officer safely to base.

« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 10:47:59 by Jackal »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: 13 Apr 2009, 06:20:36 »
Gave this ago tonite, 3 average players. We have a lot of problems with just the pick up of the pilot. Maybe it was wreckless driving but we tried 4 or 5 times before we gave up.  A few times we got him to join but could never get him into the helo. So basically we tried it a few times and never got past that point and then just moved on to another mission.

The mission objectives don't flip to fail when all the players are dead, or when the chopper dies. Can you still complete the objective if the helo dies and everyone bails?
Xbox Rocks

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #6 on: 13 Apr 2009, 10:35:54 »
A few times we got him to join but could never get him into the helo
If you deploy a swimmer to him he should join your group every time.

The chopper must hover within 4 of downed pilot for 5 full seconds before he "movesincargo." This requires a bit of practice because the margin is small. It would be too easy if the distance was 15 or 20. This forces pilot to get in close to him just above water level. If you order AIpilot to stop (halt) moving instead of ordering him to board chopper, you can hover above him steadily...but the storm and sea conditions may make it more difficult.

Here is the trigger where he gets in your UH-60 chopper:
TIMEOUT MIN:5, MAX:5, MID: 5
CONDITION: pilot1 distance chopper1 < 4
ON ACTIVATION: pilot1 moveincargo chopper1

The mission objectives don't flip to fail when all the players are dead,
I will look into that...the fail trigger currently looks like:
(grouped with CSAR team) VEHICLE NOT PRESENT
COUNTDOWN MID:10,MAX:10,MID:10
TYPE: END2

Can you still complete the objective if the helo dies and everyone bails?
Yes if you can get back to base and get the other chopper (uh60ffar) I tried to make the mission open ended. as long as you get the pilot and wso back to base you will complete the misison (unless your CAS uh60ffar chopper gets shot down then you will also need to get those plyers back to base as well before mission ends).

@ironman: I will look into why boats did not come.
« Last Edit: 13 Apr 2009, 10:57:41 by Jackal »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: 13 Apr 2009, 15:46:11 »
For us the boats came in too quickly we thought especially for the n00bs. It really puts you into a high pressure situation if you can't fly well and the boats start attacking you as you are hovering above the pilot. Anyways we will give a go again this week. The first bit of the flight is a bit boring, I wondered if it could be spruced up with some radio chatter about the first objective?
Xbox Rocks

Offline Ironman

• Former Staff
    • {GSF} Home Page
« Reply #8 on: 13 Apr 2009, 18:27:55 »
I completed all the objectives and they all triggered fine.... there were just no enemies that I saw....

When we started we probably spent like 3min trying to find ammo crates cuz no one has weapons. Then we went in the chopper and saw the weapons. Next we took off and I just flew out in the ocean because it said expect enemy in cities/towns.... so I just flew at about 15m or less the whole way to the pilot.... swimmer got out at 0m in alt pilot joined and hopped in chopper. Picked up swimmer then went back to base. IDK if that first pilot ever left the group because I was the chopper pilot, not SL. We landed and I am assuming the SL ordered the pilot out... then the hidden obj came up. We hopped back in and got to the obj while only seeing a UAZ (MG I think). Picked our guy up and went back to base. Very simple mission. Maybe I am just that amazing of a pilot lol.... all bow down to me... no, jp.
TS3 IP: tor.zebgames.com:9992

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #9 on: 14 Apr 2009, 00:09:14 »
Ironman,

we probably spent like 3min trying to find ammo crates cuz no one has weapons
At the start of the mission there should be a hint screen that tells players something like "weapons available at your chopper."

Good work on obj 1. That is how it is supposed to go down-nice and quick. I did try to throw a couple of enemy boats in to hamper your rescue ... but it sounds like their mid,max,mid time on their waypoint were to long to get to you in time. i'll tweak them a bit to make obj1 more "spicy."

The AI pilot is scripted to join grpnull on arrival back at base. That way the players don't have to order the AI out of chopper.

We hopped back in and got to the obj while only seeing a UAZ (MG I think). Picked our guy up and went back to base.

Second obj is supposed to be a alot more intense with enemy closing in on the WSO and seeking to engage your team..I'll fix it.
« Last Edit: 14 Apr 2009, 00:27:32 by Jackal »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: 14 Apr 2009, 05:31:16 »
Ok got the pilot picked up and headed back and then the pilot ejected by accident a few meters before we landed :D

There isn't any spectating scripts for the downed player so we stopped and moved on to another mission. It really sucks to leave the player as the bird, you should consider adding spectating for downed players.

So far overall I found the excitement at the pilot rescue, the trip back and forth is really boring, some radio chatter, like custom voices could dress this long haul up a bit. 

Look forward to getting to the next objectives.

Xbox Rocks

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #11 on: 14 Apr 2009, 14:47:29 »
hoz and ironman thanks again for the feedback.
I'm putting in Kegetys spectate script and have already started implementing custom sound files.
When new version is ready I will post it.

Keep the suggestions coming. :good:

LAST EDIT: 4/17/2009: Ok guys. try it again.
Here are several changes made:
-Kegetys Spectate mode  :clap:
-Found/Fixed enemy waypoints (should react better)  :whistle:
-Developed and added a new arty script based Ext3rmin4tor's old one and Nemesis9's cool water explosion script. (And yes, it is possible you might get hit by arty)  :cool2:
-Mixed and added several new custom sound files for immersion factor.  :yes:
-Removed Mando storm script (sorry Mandoble) and made weather rainy instead.  :(

« Last Edit: 17 Apr 2009, 13:07:38 by Jackal »

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #12 on: 18 Apr 2009, 23:42:56 »
We had a chance to give the previous version a try again, this time we noticed a bit of lag where the pilot was reporting he was over top of the unit in the sea, and we were telling him to move a few meters north or west. Basically still having trouble getting this guy into the helo.

We will give the new version a try.
Xbox Rocks

Offline Jackal

• Honoured Contributor
  • Pinpoint Precision
    • TEAM ELITE FORCES
« Reply #13 on: 19 Apr 2009, 01:11:15 »
We had a chance to give the previous version a try again, this time we noticed a bit of lag where the pilot was reporting he was over top of the unit in the sea,

I noticed this too, and was a reason why I pulled Mando storm out and replaced with regular rainy weather. Not saying that Mando storm was a culprit, just that it was running when several other things were happening. So I removed it for performance purposes. Try the new version.

and we were telling him to move a few meters north or west. Basically still having trouble getting this guy into the helo.

I would recommend you try to tell the downed pilot to halt once he joins your team and then position your chopper next to him (remember within 4 for 5 seconds since trigger for him to getin is a "timeout"). It is far easier to maneuver the chopper to him when he is stationary than trying to order AI to swim to you. Sometimes the AI don't comply the way you want -that is the main reason I put the timeout trigger in because using commands to order AI into a hovering chopper was not consistent enough. We found that by using the port main gear wheel as the landmark to judge your distance to him will prevent the possibility of dropping the chopper on his head (killing him and fialing mission) and will give you better visual reference from outside view.

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: 19 Apr 2009, 05:13:56 »
Ok with the new update we were able to do the first rescue on the second attempt.  :D

We ran into some issues on the second part. The helo died and we had really no way back to the base. Are there boats to find? The long walk back (like 6km) we gave up to try it another day.

I was getting multiple " Use water Kits" action options up to 4 i had at one time.  It doesn't make sense to have this option on land does it?

Love the atmosphere sounds now, good job on those.
« Last Edit: 20 Apr 2009, 05:16:45 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks