Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Serious "group" respawn BUG found (when tank is group leader).  (Read 1888 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
During my editing and testing of a combined arms mission I found a serious "group" respawn bug that happens when you on a dedicated server have a M1A1 tank as a leader (at least when the tank is leading from mission start). Originally I thought this bug had to do with 20 units in the group, but that is not the case.

I do not know if this bug also applies for a client in a hosted game. For the server client it works fine.

On a dedicated server (with one player) this happens the first time you die and should respawn:

Group size 20, two tanks (non leader, non playable) = Working
Group size 20, two tanks (non leader, playable) = Working
Group size 18, only tanks (leader, playable) = Working sometimes (very strange)
Group size 20, two tanks (leader, non playable) = BUG mission ends immediately
Group size 20, two tanks (leader, playable) = BUG mission ends immediately

When the "mission ends" BUG happens the seagull can also be seen behind the debriefing screen. Bug is probably also happening with other APCs (M113 for sure... I've tested).

It does not matter if the group size is under 10 units.
The mission ends anyway.

It does not matter if you play the (tank) group leader from the start.
The mission ends anyway.

If someone wants to check other combinations... please do.

Example mission included with descriptions of groups unit combinations.

Laggy  :weeping:
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2009, 18:21:32 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Hi all,

Does anyone share this experience ?
4 people have downloaded the mission example, but no comments.

Don't know how to interpret the silence in this thread, do you just take my word for it ?
Does no one else consider this to be a serious bug ?
Does everyone agree or am I wrong ?

:dunno: ??? :confused:

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
Maybe I need some more coffee but I couldn't find a _proper description_ of the bug in your post.

What exactly happens?
What is expected to happen instead?
Which Arma version did you use?
etc.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2009, 00:23:44 by Worldeater »
try { return true; } finally { return false; }

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
Bug happens when a tank vehicle (or one of its crew, not exactly sure which of the two are causing it) is group leader.

Did only try with "already fully manned" tanks set in editor, never tried empty tanks with scripted "filled" crews.

The "bug" is affecting the "group" respawn function.

Tested in version 1.14

No addons.

The following examples show my experience with different combinations.
this happens the first time you die and should respawn:

Group size 20, two tanks (non leader, non playable) = Working
Group size 20, two tanks (non leader, playable) = Working
Group size 18, only tanks (leader, playable) = Working sometimes (very strange)
Group size 20, two tanks (leader, non playable) = BUG mission ends immediately
Group size 20, two tanks (leader, playable) = BUG mission ends immediately

For additional info, please see first post.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 25 May 2009, 00:57:02 by laggy »

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
A short test showed that "group respawn" only works if the player is the leader of the team (that is: he can tell the other guys what to do). In some cases where you labelled a group with "leader" the player is not leading anyone.

If my "player has to be leader" assumption is correct then putting multiple players in one group will effectively disable "group respawn" for all of them but the guy who's in charge.

The only bug I found was that "group respawn" sometimes fails when you respawn immediately (1-2s) after mission start.

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
OK thanks for your input,

My experience is that the bug ONLY has to do with tank being leader, nothing else.

It doesn't matter if you lead as player AND play the tank yourself.

The groups marked "leader" in MP lobby ONLY means that TANK IS LEADER not necessarily player.

"group" respawn with infantry unit as leader works (and has always worked) perfectly.

Offline Worldeater

• Former Staff
  • Suum cuique
Hmm, maybe I've done something wrong in my tests. What are the exact requirements for being able to "group respawn"? Just being a (dead) member of a group with at least one AI soldier left?

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
What are the exact requirements for being able to "group respawn"? Just being a (dead) member of a group with at least one AI soldier left?

Yes and according to my experiences "group" respawn has since OFP always worked like this:

1. If you play as group leader and die
- you respawn as the new group leader, unless (I believe) "second in rank unit" is occupied by another player.

2. If you play as regular group member and die
- you respawn to (I believe) random group member BUT NOT group leader, if other options are available.

That's until now where if the leader of the group is a tank or any APC (at least M113) the two above events are replaced with mission ended and debriefing screen.

This "tank leader exception" doesn't make any sense and must IMHO be a BUG.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 27 May 2009, 17:59:13 by laggy »