Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: ArmA Mission Creation VS OFPRes  (Read 1483 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
ArmA Mission Creation VS OFPRes
« on: 21 Mar 2009, 02:23:09 »
Hi, ok I have something to say about ArmA Editing in mission creation. With ArmA it's a lot harder to create missions then it was for OFPRes. I don't know if anyone has found it this way also.

Because I've created missions where I'll make an event happen using triggers and such as you would regularly with OFPRes or something and the 2nd time you attemp to play it , it doesn't work.

It's just mind boggling because OFPRes I feel was easier in editing. YOu could do a lot more, kind of like with Windows XP  VS Windows Vista. It just seems like ArmA has become more strict or restricted in it's creation and such.

Anybody else find this so, or is it just me?
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
Re: ArmA Mission Creation VS OFPRes
« Reply #1 on: 21 Mar 2009, 04:22:12 »
Well there is no doubting the differences in mission editing. The Ai was not perfect in OFP but definitely seems more cooperative than Arma. The inconsistent Ai pathfinding and undependability of it's reaction to the environment has forced me to endure countless hours of workarounds and even many times, scrapping an entire idea. It does get frustrating and down right discouraging at times but I choose to look at it this way. OFP is not dead and their are many fans who still create addons, and missions for it. I am one of those who can't release the ancient scrolls but at the same time, dabbling in Arma has helped me to understand some things about OFP that I never knew and will certainly establish my knowledge for the upcoming Arma2. Though I am no scriptor, I will be versed in many of the commands that are universal throughout BIS games when Arma2 arrives on scene. But If you have an Idea that Arma just will not aid you in conveying, please create it in OFP because there are still fans who want new stuff for it.

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #2 on: 21 Mar 2009, 06:58:13 »
I definitely see you view on this grace. Yeah you have an idea and then to find out 3/4 of the way through you have to say heck with this, start over or find some way around.

Oh no, my idea behind this post was to see if there was anyone who shared the same opinion with ArmA. I like ArmA, I just have to find a way around it I suppose. It's just wierd when you create something , then the 2nd time you play it in the game and you changed nothing in the editor, it still doesn't work the same way it did the 1st time.

Yes it's discouraging would be the feeling to use.  :)...hurrah.
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #3 on: 21 Mar 2009, 18:33:36 »
I've noticed:

enableEnviroment false and playmoves (in i.e an intro) only works the first time you try it in editor.
If I remember correctly, saving the mission over again (in editor) or changing init.sqs helped.

Annoying, however I don't think it affects missions as much, when actually being played.
I think this is an editor bug  :scratch:

I find the AI units constantly ignoring my scripting commands even worse. Seems like the game engine commands over ride my scripts much more in ArmA than in OFP.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 21 Mar 2009, 18:39:51 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.