Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: reconising air class above 1000m  (Read 1732 times)

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
  • SirDeanosbeano bstowed on me by sui ;)
    • Fraghaus
reconising air class above 1000m
« on: 01 Mar 2009, 14:27:53 »
 I would like peoples thoughts and info on this subject if anybody has any input.

I was talking to somebody about uav`s and they mentioned that they had a problem where air vehicles would not recognise waypoints  if they were above 1000m, i asked them if they had placed a trigger ,set to bluefor and then placed a helo at +1000m to see if it recognises the helo is there, i decided to to test myself and strangely enough the trigger did not activate.
 as anybody else had problems like this and have any thoughts is it know engine limitation , or am i having problems due to my testing process :) ?
 ps iactual height was 1300m

DB
I love ofp

Offline Mandoble

• Former Staff
    • Grunt ONE and MandoMissile suite
Re: reconising air class above 1000m
« Reply #1 on: 01 Mar 2009, 18:28:36 »
Do you mean that the presence trigger did fail to detect the presence with a unit of the corresponding side at 1300m agl?

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #2 on: 01 Mar 2009, 19:00:58 »
well it failed to recognize the helo yes, however if i set unit type to man class , then it recognize that a unit was in trigger at 1300m and the formatted hint "hello" was activated.
 i was trying to ascertain if units of theclass air are ignored above 1000m, this is because when you give a unit of air class a waypoint when the unit is above 1000m it will simply ignore and fly in circles.

I love ofp

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #3 on: 01 Mar 2009, 22:30:47 »
I can not confirm any of those claims. :dunno:

Just had a default BIS jet fly through several waypoints into a present trigger at over 5000m high and it happily followed all waypoints and triggered the trigger..

In my experience air vehicles get confused if waypoints are too close to each other though..
Project MCAR   ---   Northern Fronts   ---   Emitter 3Ditor
INFORMATIVE THREAD TITLES PLEASE. "PLEASE HELP" IS NOT ONE..
Chuck Norris can divide by zero.

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 01 Mar 2009, 22:44:47 »
Just had a default BIS jet fly through several waypoints into a present trigger at over 5000m high and it happily followed all waypoints and triggered the trigger..

I was about to go all 'Mission Editing: Deluxe' on you and say that it says that planes above 1000m will never reach way points due to the idea that BIS use 'true' distance instead of horizontal distance.

But that proves against both that guide and DeanosBeano...  :dunno:

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #5 on: 02 Mar 2009, 09:57:24 »
I went and made more comprehensive tests and actually the manual and deano are partially right.

That above 1000 meters brain loss happens only over large land mass, over the sea the planes fly happily no matter what the height is, although they can sometimes get confused there as well but this happened only with extensive timeacc use..

I would need to do some longer testing sessions but it seems like height and waypoint distance is some kind of factor, lowering a plane (over land mass) flying at 4000 meters to 3000 meters made it find it's waypoints easier although it did fly in completely erratic paths.
But then again, it's impossible to have conclusive results because the AI may not approach things the same way twice in a row.. :dunno:

So it's better to say that yes, try to avoid over 1000 meters when using AI planes..  :D

But, nothing suggests that triggers won't detect planes flying that high. Setpossed a plane into a trigger area at 100000 meters height and it got detected.

Offline Rommel92

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 02 Mar 2009, 12:59:10 »
But, nothing suggests that triggers won't detect planes flying that high. Setpossed a plane into a trigger area at 100000 meters height and it got detected.

If triggers had a Z component (technically 'Y', but meh), then blimey, that'd be a pain in the ass, useful however if you put it to certain use... but still!.

Offline DeanosBeano

• Addons Depot Staff
    • Fraghaus
« Reply #7 on: 02 Mar 2009, 18:37:56 »
 well it seems there are some inconsistent results from my testing however i have managed to deduce some whys  and hows.

1.some custom planes have not got the sufficient mass to be able to fly to 1000,(see Bis physics),therefore when a waypoint instructs them to flyinheight  ,they will simply fly round and round like a bird looking for an updraft . solution = better addon making.

2. triggers are activated when  planes and helos fly through them 99% of the time (depending what code and how much is being run elsewhere at the time of activation and size of trigger)

3.  if a mh6 helo is placed on rhamadi  and the pilot is a player and it is placed within a presence trigger of 50m the trigger and set with this setpos [(getpos this select 0),(getpos this select 1),1300] will not activate (needs confiming by other source but for me it wont).however change the helo to a soldier and the trigger activates.

4. waypoints are very hit and miss and workaround domove simply result in the plane diving to the ground.
 (yes there are scripting work arounds , but i wondered why this helo wont trigger and follow simple waypoints.)

i am trying to assertain all this as it is part of a project i am doing with a UAV and also a Gunship ,i also think that any findings could reduce future threads about my trigger doesn't activate , should anything be found.

ty DB

I love ofp

Offline h-

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
  • Formerly HateR_Kint
    • OFPEC
« Reply #8 on: 03 Mar 2009, 09:47:22 »
if a mh6 helo is placed on rhamadi  and the pilot is a player and it is placed within a presence trigger of 50m the trigger and set with this setpos [(getpos this select 0),(getpos this select 1),1300] will not activate (needs confiming by other source but for me it wont).however change the helo to a soldier and the trigger activates.
Works just fine here (vanilla ArmA 1.15b).
Got bored testing after reaching 8000 meters..

Tested with setpossing the player controlled chopper already in the trigger area, setpossing it into the trigger area from outside, starting with empty helo (outside the trigger area) and once player got in setpossed it into the trigger area. Height was always over 1300m.