Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: BAS2 and OFPEC  (Read 2717 times)

Offline humphrey

• Members
BAS2 and OFPEC
« on: 16 Feb 2009, 00:24:18 »
Hey again guys. I was reading this article over at armedassault.info about how BAS have updated there framework and in there profile it says they want to write more tutes about what they do.
It says
Code: [Select]
We want to pay more attention to tutorials, share the research we do and make BAS2 a repository of knowledge for all the resources that are used to make up our addons.
 I saw the guys name was Deadmeat, and another guy Tigershark, and that sounded sorta familiar so I looked around here and found there names in the OFPEC history. They was here waaaay back,  the first guys maybe?

So anyway I clicked the link to there website and its not comin up. I tried a couple times and again today, but its still down. So my question is, if there wantin to do more tutes and they dont have a website, could OFPEC maybe ask them over and they could put them here because it seems like thats what OFPEC is all about and these guys were here at the start so it would be like welcome home!

Just a thought. Back to editing!  :cool2:

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
Re: BAS2 and OFPEC
« Reply #1 on: 16 Feb 2009, 16:27:55 »
BAS and everyone else is free to submit tutorials to OFPEC. Fer from BAS has already updated their framework several times here at OFPEC. Further to that we have a tutorial backend if anyone is interested in creating some tutorials for OFPEC. They just need to contact one of the admins.

Hoz
Xbox Rocks

Offline humphrey

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:39:48 »
Dude, where the love at?  :D

I been lurkin around here a while and I seen no tutes submitted in a long while. Goin back to what that OFPEC history is looks like you guys hosted mods and other sites in the begining and I just thought you guys could do that again. Like askin BAS2 to have a section of the site, like a BAS2 corner. Cos at the moment they producin some really cool stuff and they want to share there knowledge but there website must be broken or whatever.

But in that reply Hoz, no disrespect, but you like sayin "hey, we know you guys started it all, but you need to come crawlin to us with stuff, cos we ain't gonna ask you"

Seem like a shame dude. Is OFPEC so big now that you guys cant go invite these guys over to help spread the info? These guys are like your grandaddy or somethin, and you leavin them out in the cold? By the community for the community, right?  :dunno:

Offline hoz

• OFPEC Site
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: 16 Feb 2009, 19:54:25 »
Recently added tutes...

Creating an Alpha Channel
Dialog Tutorial tut

We have a couple of sound tutorials as well I thought they were linked up but perhaps they are not.
Also you will see soon a new one for Norrins AI Revive.

But in that reply Hoz, no disrespect, but you like sayin "hey, we know you guys started it all, but you need to come crawlin to us with stuff, cos we ain't gonna ask you"
I don't think I said that at all. Anyone can submit to a tutorial to us. We welcome resources from everyone. All one has to do is contact us if they want to use our back end or they can simply submit a tutorial in pdf or word document, whatever they are comfortable with.

OFPEC is far from big or the biggest site, there are many other sites with lots of resources.  OFPEC resources listed within the ED though all have a demo mission, and have been fully tested. OFPEC tends to fill a niche helping editors strive for the best.  We don't turn away anyone, no one is left out in the cold.

« Last Edit: 16 Feb 2009, 20:25:16 by hoz »
Xbox Rocks

Offline humphrey

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 16 Feb 2009, 20:12:55 »
Im clickin that second dialog link but its no goin nowhere.

Code: [Select]
Anyone can submit to a tutorial to us. We welcome resources from everyone. All one has to do is contact us if they want
Yah, i understand that but what I'm sayin is that these guys arent anyone or everyone yeah? There like the guys who started OFPEC. If I was buildin my house and my grandaddy went by on the street and he been a builder all his days and still builds cool stuff I was say "hey pops, come and tell me if i got my brick straight" or whatever. I woulnt wait for him to come over and say "hey sonny, you want some advice?" Cos if i waited, could be he goes by and i miss out on some good info.

Hey, it could be theres a whole lotta politcs goin on for all i know, maybe you guys fell out with the BAS guys and they stink or whatever. I just think you guys should be out there gettin in all the cool stuff, especially from your own guys or the guys who started it all ya know? instead of waitin for it to roll on in. I was always told "respect your elders" and seems like this is a good example. OFPEC is an awesome site and you guys really rock I totally get what you doin here. Just seems like you sittin back like a fisherman who got no bait, and in the middle of thwe pond theres this big fat fish sayin "i wanna get caught! bring it on!".  :D

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #5 on: 18 Feb 2009, 19:02:51 »
Hmm, your point is resounding but we must strive to respect the resources of the community as a whole. The submitted projects of all members are considered just as valuable as larger modding teams because their discoveries lead to better gameplay as well. And simply to serve as a reminder, we do actually enjoy the presence of many heavy hitters at OFPEC that frequent our forums to answer questions and offer feedback. In fact, the average newcomer has just as much a chance as becoming a well known contributor as the guys that make up BAS2 or any large mod team for that matter. Afterall, those guys did come from the same proving grounds did they not? For OFPEC to offer a seperate section to a mod team would be more like "by the community for "insert mod team"" The rule applies to them as it does to anyone. And hoz stated it nicely...all are welcome to submit freely. None are rejected but all are tested....by the community, for the community. Just my opinion.

Offline fallujahmedic

• Members
« Reply #6 on: 24 Feb 2009, 14:50:21 »
hoz and savedbygrace, Well spoken!
  BAS has offered up many great addons in the past and I expect they will in the future. If you check the multitude of sites (OFPEC, Armaholic, BI forums, etc) you will find a lot of redundant info. I think OFPEC's renewed effort at being "an editing center" instead of catering to one particular "faction" lends itself a bit of impartiality. That is a good thing!
 I for one hate the word "SEARCH", all to often on many of the other sites that is the answer you will receive when you ask a question. It occasionally happens here, but not with the same frequency and not when you properly and intelligently phrase your question.
 About BAS, yes it sucks that their web site is down, How about contacting Fer personally and asking whats up?

Back in the Day OFPEC was  "IT". It's where you went for all your info. I agree that a lot of the tutorials are out dated and either need refreshing or deleting. Thankfully Mr. Murray ( a relative unknown to me )  came along and wrote an amazing tutorial. It goes to show that you don't need to be a big production to make contributions to the community.

Offline humphrey

• Members
« Reply #7 on: 24 Feb 2009, 22:48:19 »
Yah Murrays stuff is pretty cool, maybe you guys should ask him on the staff or somethin  :yes:

Also I agree maybe the BAS corner idea was pretty lame and like then everyobody and there grandaddy would be askin OFPEC for a corner for there mod or whatever.

I don't think BAS would listen to somone like me thats why I said you guys oughta ask them over. But I guess I see where your comin from. Keep it all equal. Besdies, who need BAS when you got Mandoble, right  :clap::clap::clap:

Peace out guys. :good:

#EDIT: No need to quote the entire previous post you're replying to.    h-
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2009, 18:22:55 by h- »

Offline lntdrakejackson

• Members
  • OFP/ArmA fan.
    • The Clan of Brothers website.
« Reply #8 on: 11 Aug 2009, 03:10:15 »
Hope the "Ballistic Addons Studio" (BAS) comes again online  :clap: , those guys were amazing, I cant explain the fun I have with them in OFP:R but well let me tell to those ones who have never heard of BAS:   :D
BAS originally was a really complete mod: 2 islands, all four sides unique units, the greatest helicopters I have ever seen!!! god... :) making rappel from the UH-60L (Blackhawk) and/or taking a jeep from one side to other with the MH-47 E (Chinook) was something incredible, and lets dont forget their rebel troops and militia, or government troops... made for the main island campaign, really nice at all...

Hope they come and bring what they have done in OFP:R to ArmA.  :good:
-The man who joins the resistance for his country is courageous.
-The man who joins the army leaving his family behind feels the intention of serving his country.
-The man who joins the mercs have always a better reason than the interest. Celer, Silens, Mortalis. (fast, silent and mortal).

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #9 on: 11 Aug 2009, 13:38:27 »
Once upon a time (when I was Depot Admin here at Ofpec) we did have a large section titled Affiliated Mods. It contained links to Ofpec Aproved projects. BAS were among them, of course. As were many others. But Mods come and go, over time people lose interest in them. Some of them die and others respawn in new forms. Meanwhile, Ofpec stays more or less the same.

We've always been here to help people with their editing related questions. It has been that way since the days of LustyPooh and Tigershark. Back in the good old days (when Operation Flashpoint was the name of the game) we hosted a lot of addons. Why? Because addons were produced, used and discarded on a scale that doesn't exist any more. The same goes for missions. At the same time there were no other sites available where you could download these resources.

Today there are lots of places were you can find addons and missions that works more or less okay. And a lot of places where you can download missions that doesn't work at all. But there's no other places that are as dedicated to editing and finetuning addons/missions/scripts in the whole while world. Hence Ofpec's current speciality. We don't have hundreds of visitors every day, but few leave our site empty handed I dare say.

Personally, I go to armedassault.info when I want an addon, to armaholic.com or the official forums if I want a quick mission to play with during the evening. I come to Ofpec when I want expert advice or a mission that really works, down to the smallest detail. I think that's a good division of labour within our thriving little community.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!