Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Fuel Snatch ideas  (Read 1800 times)

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
Fuel Snatch ideas
« on: 15 Oct 2008, 19:41:42 »
Hi I'm looking for some ideas from people. I'm building a mission where viktor and his men have to steal some fuel trucks from Ivan.

Guba does know Viktor needs fuel, so he's laid out his fuel trucks away from his main base so he can create a sort of trap for Viktor.

The trap is once some men board the fuel trucks, some of them explode and the men with them.

Where I need ideas is, what should I have Guba do with his forces after they've discovered Viktor trying to steal the trucks?

I'm stumped. It seems kind of boring to have it be just a "Go steal the fuel trucks" and return to base doesn't it?

Any ideas? Thanks. 
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline Gcfungus

• Members
Re: Fuel Snatch ideas
« Reply #1 on: 15 Oct 2008, 23:50:02 »
You could set up an ambush, by placing a lot of troops (which are defeatable, meaning no tanks if you have no rockets) and making you have to defend a small area until you can get evac/supports when you can drive toops away. The kind of thing I'm thinking of is crouching behind a burned out jeep or something taking potshots at about 30 troops at once while trying not to get shot. Sounds fun, but make it so it's winnable. Fighting 200 troops you have no way of winning, maybe also rig the area with exdplosives and add music to add drama.
The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
~George Patton

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
« Reply #2 on: 16 Oct 2008, 12:48:39 »
what you need is a script that delivers random responses... something simple like
3 responses = easy, medium, hard

If it were me I would spawn the responses... but you don't need to do that... have a load of units at the Russian base

say three squads in trucks
3 in bmps
and one helo

have their waypoints or movement script with condition say cond_1 to cond_3
The condition for the trucks is cond_1
the bmps cond_2
the helo _3

The script woulf be something like this (excuse my syntax mistakes)

RAN = random 3

RAN > 1 : goto "easy"
RAN > 2 : goto "medium"
RAN > 3 : goto "hard"

#easy
cond_1 = true
exit
#medium
cond_1 = true
cond_2 = true
exit

#hard
cond_1 = true
cond_2 = true
cond_3 = true
exit

as you can see easy delivers one infantry platoon (approx 3 squads)
medium = trucks and BMP response
hard = trucks + bmp + helo respondng

of course you will have to work out how they attack and or deploy on your route home but I would have them staggered the men in trucks forming an ambush, and what ever else you like the bmps and helo to do

That is my suggestion....

Kendo

Offline NightJay0044

• Former Staff
  • Let's make OFPEC great again
    • My Steam Workshop
« Reply #3 on: 16 Oct 2008, 19:16:09 »
hey Kendo, never thought of scripting in that way.  The way you said it makes me realize what you can do.

So how would you implement it into a trigger in-game?

I don't know much about scripting, I'm just getting use to variable in-game haha..

Thanks.

@ Gcfungus
The ambush is a good idea, but I managed to come up with a different approach to this mission since OFP is so limited in how you can create missions.  Just the enviourment really.
Who's hyped for Arma4, long live Arma!

Offline Gcfungus

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 16 Oct 2008, 23:54:26 »
Sure, no problem was just an idea  :)
For your script, if you don't want to use a script but incorporate Kendo's idea you can do it in triggers.
You'd need 5 triggers
Create the groups as Kendo said, and give them 2 waypoints. The first a move to a bit infront of their start and another as an attack (or search and destroy or whatever) to the ambush site.
Then create 3 triggers, each of which is a switch type and put these into the conditions:
Code: [Select]
RAN > 1
RAN > 2
RAN > 3Then syhnchronise each one to the unit type (eg. ran1 to the troops, ran2 to bmp and ran3 to helos, or whatever you want)
You will need a trigger which activates immediately (maybe put it in the init file) which has the following in the on activation:
RAN = 4It doesn't matter how it trggers, it could be anyone present on the whole island, or it could be no-one present in a tiny area, either way make sure it firesa immediately.
You will need another trigger which will detect when the ambush will happen.
Place the trigger in the ambush siter and set the conditions (these could be if you get seen or if you are jsut there, or maybe off another variable, but that's unlikely)
Then have in the on activation:
RAN = random 3
That should give you the same effect as the script, you can see why the scrips are so effective, lol. :P
Anyway, good luck  :good: :D
The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
~George Patton

Offline Kendo J

• Members
  • Britain Has more varieties of cheese than France
« Reply #5 on: 17 Oct 2008, 12:34:41 »
To implement the script into a trigger just have one trigger for your mission say, you kill all the bad guys guarding your objective (east not present)... or when you get in the truck (? vehicle player != player)...

then just add into the activation field

[] exec "script.sqs"

What I would do is place a load of game logics about the place in the ambush/attack positions you want and spawn groups to these positions when needed.....

but you don't have to do this it could be as simple as the script I mentioned before just making conditions that move trigger the enemy to move from one waypoint to the next...

Kendo

p.s.
what I would do is instead of having the conditions under easy, med, hard I would have groups spawned for these different difficulties.
pm me if you want me to send you a sample script of spawning to game logics with random or fixed waypoints... i have loads...

also check out these spawn scripts... they may be useful...
http://www.ofpec.com/ed_depot/index.php?action=details&id=231&page=3

Offline savedbygrace

• Intel Depot
  • Administrator
  • Be swift to hear...slow to speak...slow to wrath.
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2008, 17:29:54 »
I am reluctant to do this because the idea is from one of the missions in my trilogy on hold. But I will do it anyways. Afterall, By the community For the community.......right?

The story doesn't seem to add up the way you have it planned. If Guba knows Viktor needs fuel, and is plotting to steal his trucks in order to acquire this commodity. He should devise a comical and yet disastrous plot to "Catch" Viktor and his boys in the act without risking the destruction of his equipment and such. Here is my suggestion.......
Guba gets wind of the plan and decides to allow Viktor to have the trucks. So, at the same time he wins the favor of his men by allowing them to throw a party on the night of the suspected operation. Which will occur out of hearing distance of the depot, leaving the depot lightly guarded with disgruntled soldiers who want to get in on the party.
Viktors boys take the depot with little effort which may or may not draw suspicion  :whistle: Little does Viktors boys know, they are stealing fuel trucks full of water. To add insult to injury, Guba had his men drain the fuel tanks of all the trucks to just enough to get them to an ambush point where he will dispose of Viktor and his men once and for all.
Meanwhile Guba is sitting pretty at his mansion in the mountains awaiting the word of viktors capture or demise, it means little to him which one.
So, they have to steal the trucks.....defend the trucks only to discover that the trucks have water. Now a response crew is on the way and they have to get out of there.