Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: Our amateur moments in mission editing  (Read 5175 times)

Offline Lone~Wolf

• Mission Tools & Mods
  • Members
  • Vladimir Dmitri Mikhail Andreevich Stamenov
Re: Our amateur moments in mission editing
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2010, 11:31:02 »
Oh no, don't get me started!  ;)

The first time I got into the editor I took a look around, and clicked on everything, and nothing did anything. I got so worked up and looked in so many manuals! Eventually after (I'm not kidding) an hour of clicking everything I found out what I had to do...

I needed to double-click.

Yes, that was how my first day of OFP went. Badly.

Anyways, It took me the better part of a year before I actually managed to open and look at the contents of a .sqs file, but from there, t'was love at first sight. I haven't gone 5 days since without playing/editing/loving OFP for 4!

It just shows ya, hmm?  :D
Snarling creature, lurking in the background, still writing in .sqs

Offline Zipper5

• BIS Team
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2010, 20:04:09 »
My first experience was actually a result of the start of Iraqi Freedom. I hadn't touched the editor before, been mainly trying to finish Cold War Crisis (I found it ridiculously hard at the time, but addictive). But with the start of Iraqi Freedom I got an idea for a mission to take place on Desert Island.

Basically I spammed one of the coasts with US groups and APCs, and the rest of the island to the north of me with Soviets. I ran into the unit limit and thought I had completely broken the mission until I realized I could simply delete some Soviets to fix it. I made myself the leader of one squad, changed my unit to a the Steyr Aug soldier and gave myself a Search and Destroy waypoint on one sole Spetsnaz way up in the north of the map on that infamous hill, who I intended to be Saddam. :P

On my old PC I got maybe 10 FPS max in this mission, but I played through it so many times, each time was different. I'd substitute myself as different things, like an Apache, or an A10, or sometimes I'd try it as the Soviets. Having such a massive battle going on around me was amazing to me at the time. Sometimes I'd just sprint right through it all and see how long I could last. I actually saved the mission as "The Hand of Justice" or something to that effect and it remained there in my SP missions for years to come... Until I lost it... :weeping:

So that was my first ever editing moment. From then on I knew I was born to make missions. :D

Offline JasonO

• OFPEC Patron
  • Oh no...
    • The New Life RPG
« Reply #17 on: 21 May 2010, 12:22:25 »
Haha, brilliant thread.

I remember my first time in the editor. I got a Blackhawk and placed a variety of east units down. I was young and didn't know much about miltary units. However this wacky unit named 'Shilka' couldn't do much harm could it?

After flying over the units I soon learned what a Shilka was.

Offline RKurtzDmitriyev

• Former Staff
« Reply #18 on: 04 Jun 2010, 16:14:46 »
Try this for size: I just spent four hours or so trying to figure out why an SQF function I wrote seemed to cause all other functions to stop working. After much effort trying to isolate the problem, I realized my error after taking a hard look at the first line of my function.

Code: [Select]
private = ["_array","_selector", "_deletestring","_return"];
For some reason, this causes all other instances of the private command to stop functioning. ::)
The OFP Editing Center wishes to remind you that the faithful COMREF will never threaten to stab you and, in fact, cannot speak.
However, in the event that it does speak, you are encouraged to heed its advice. ;)

Offline GW

• ofp cadet
  • Members
  • The great Himalaya
« Reply #19 on: 04 Jun 2010, 18:51:30 »
my first try is very funny,i make one east engineer soldier against a abrahm platoon and 2 mechanized infantry,played 1000 times  :clap:that mission,still i have that mission,  :whistle:
Be happy.
ofp die-hard fan for whole life

Offline OFP_f3d3

• Former Staff
  • Fraud is the ready minister of injustice.
« Reply #20 on: 05 Jun 2010, 06:55:45 »
i still remember my first time in the editor.
when i saw it i didn't know that i was playing one of the few games that let you do  a lot of things as the ofp.
i started watching the islands, seing the weapons, and watching everything. the i started making some noice. after making big craches between russian and us forces i discovered that i could hide in the bushes :D but later it was completely useless in nogova. i think the first kind of mission i've made in ofp was placing 6 russian group and 6 us groups in desert island and adding some jeeps and some trash i started the mission. some years later i started discovering many tutorials and many great things of ofp, like scripting, music, voices, camera effect, and many other things. i don't know what you think but, when i first opened the editor i said "my god,  :blink:know i can try all the things i've imaginated and the other war games didn't allow me to do like placing soldiers wherever i want or making them do stupid things :D :cool2: :cool2:" what did ou all feel when you first got into the editor? ???
Nothing in the world is as certain as death.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: 05 Jun 2010, 13:04:13 »
Private

Don't get ME started on the damned private command! I was using calls inside a script, and just couldn't figure out why the variables kept getting reassigned to all the wrong values - apparently it was because unless I use private in a script, the local same-name variables of a called script would overwrite the local same-name variables of the script calling it :no: Yeah, you have noo idea how long it took me to fix that.

Okay, so it was actually Spooner who told me what was wrong. But not after I had done countless hours of trial-and-error (mostly error).

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"