Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: [SP,COOP/QG] 1-10 Iraq Street Patrol.  (Read 4506 times)

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
[SP,COOP/QG] 1-10 Iraq Street Patrol.
« on: 24 Sep 2008, 18:23:19 »
Mission "1-10 MP Iraq Street Patrol" by Laggy.

Public 0.95 Beta version.

Description: You are part of a Marine Squad in northern Iraq. Your mission is to patrol, maintain order and stability in the city Avgani. Civilians want to live in peace, but insurgents and suicide bombers are terrifying the city.

ArmA version: 1.14

Needed Addons: QG, Avgani 1.2 and FFAA Insurgents (stand alone).

Avgani 1.2: http://www.armedassault.info/download.php?cat=islands&id=39
FFAA Insurgents v 3.2: http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&id=462

NOTE: This mission has been tested several times in MP, but feedback would really be appreciated, especially on how the radio triggers and COBRA Air Support works. Not yet tested on dedicated server.

Thanks to: Nominesine for playtesting, Opteryx for his Island, FFAA for their units and all of you who answer my questions on the forum.

Missiontype: Multiplayer COOP, but SP is possible.
Players: 1-10
Island: Avgani 1.2
Mission Version: 0.9 Beta
Intro: Yes (short in the beginning of the mission)
Parameters: Yes (view distance and fog)
Time: Day
Weather: Good
Missionwork: I wanted to create a somewhat realistic and difficult mission where you experience extreme chaos and panic in a war torn city. The mission is extremely random and varies a lot every time, which should make it fun to re-play lots of times. Even as mission designer I don't know what will happen next. If you don't work as a team, your chances are small. You'll experience realism (I hope), custom sounds, custom scripts, re-playability, and variation.

Changes since 0.9:
Tried different solution for COBRA Support.
Solution is now more dependent on publicVariable and the fact that radio triggers are global.
Also made it more clear when and to who the support is possible.
Made it clear that QG is required. Sorry for any inconveniences, but it seems that QG is not a clean mod installation, which means you might use it without knowing. I did. :dunno:
Some minor cleanup's.

Hope you enjoy it. My wish is that I've created a fun mission with a realistic feel.

Laggy

« Last Edit: 27 Sep 2008, 14:56:44 by laggy »
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline Manzilla

• Members
Re: [SP,COOP] 1-10 Iraq Street Patrol.
« Reply #1 on: 25 Sep 2008, 00:42:08 »
Hmmm. This is the second ever mission that I haven't been able to unpack the .pbo. Can some one using pboview give it a try to confirm. I'm not sure why this happens, SAS.Sara is the only other one that's ever given me this error. It say "This seems to not be an ArmA .pbo".

I can use Eliteness but it's kinda of a pain. It takes a few seconds longer to open the pboview.

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: 25 Sep 2008, 09:16:34 »
Sounds like he's used an OFP-era program to pack the PBO rather than an ArmA-specific one (i.e. cpbo), happens with some pbos. You can use WinPBO which basically works like PBO-view (better functionality though, such as the ability to play sound files without unpacking them etc.). Or Eliteness, I guess  :D

As to you, laggy: you seem to be a prolific and skilled mission maker. And everything you make is QG! Arararrgh. Oh well...can't have it all, I guess.

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #3 on: 25 Sep 2008, 09:55:41 »
Hi!
I tried the mission this morning....
Not bad at all! The avgani town is great!

a few remarks:
civilians seem to be grouped and sometime stuck together in one place... they are very passive, a lot of them don't move in the city/houses, I saw just one car, some more could be great, and suicide car bombs!
civilians are also allowed to enter a military outpost!!
I never saw a terrorist near my car as there were several handgrenades explosions... was it thrown handgrenades or suicide bombers? (perhaps only one big explosion would be better if it is suicide bombers...)
I wish there was more armed terrorist in the south part of the city, so we could have a big city fight... (with base respawn!)
As I played, only the offices were attacked...
I destroyed the ammo crates with satchel charges, perhaps the radio too, is it for that reason that the cobra didn't come as I asked support by radio? (afterwards, I noticed that the radio message disappeared) ???
I had an "obective done" message as I blew the T72, then was shot with the rest of my squad in the hummer by the machine gun in the house behind the T72... well placed, but it was the end of the mission!

Nice job anyway!  :clap:
looking forward for the next release!

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #4 on: 25 Sep 2008, 09:57:48 »
Hello Wolfrug,

Just to be able to let you slaughter my missions I will definitely make my next missions (hopefully my best ever) without QG, for you to tear them apart.  :)

Cheers

Laggy
And I looked and beheld a pale horse and his name that sat on him was Death and Hell followed with him.

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #5 on: 25 Sep 2008, 10:04:26 »
I forgot: I didn't saw the intro! :dunno:
Some tittletext of the beginning are in french (good for me as I do eat frogs!) but everything else is in english!
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2008, 10:07:08 by fleepee »

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #6 on: 25 Sep 2008, 17:41:06 »
Hi fleepee,

Thanks for your feedback and I'll consider your suggestions for the next release.

Civilians are put in big groups to reduce lag and they roam around freely in the city. They lay down or run if things get hot.

You will know when it's a suicide bomber, I assure you.

The COBRA lost radio thing sounds weird, I will have a look at it. Did you wait for it? Did you get any COBRA sideradio messages?

About things that happened, didn't happen or should have been more of. I can just recommend you to play the mission a couple of times.
This mission is very random in terms of what happens and when. However, to accomplish your mission you will have to see a lot of action.
You choose an offensive or defensive strategy, but the "bad guys" will be a challenge either way.

Play it again... fleepee.

Laggy
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2008, 17:48:33 by laggy »

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #7 on: 25 Sep 2008, 23:10:00 »
HI!
I played it after my first post, and it was different, you're right... End of mission because of too much civilian casualties! (after I killed one more as I was driving too fast!)

The COBRA lost radio thing sounds weird, I will have a look at it. Did you wait for it? Did you get any COBRA sideradio messages?

I had a message from the cobra and think I heard a far away sound of it, but I found him the two times I played the mission landed in front of the outpost... and the radio message to call for support disapeared both times...

May the force be with you!

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #8 on: 26 Sep 2008, 09:47:12 »
Hi fleepee,

About the COBRA support radio trigger thing that dissapeared:

Did you ever click the ALPHA "COBRA Air Support" radio option?
If you do it dissappears and opens up three new radio options: BRAVO, CHARLIE and DELTA. To get those three you have to be group leader.
Did you get the hints on how to control the COBRA?
If the pilots have landed on the base, they should get in the COBRA when you click "COBRA Air Support" and then be ready to be perform air support.

Did you ever get the BRAVO, CHARLIE and DELTA radio options, through which you command the COBRA to either Move, Hold fire and Open fire?
Where you the group leader and died, then respawned as non leader?
Only the group leader will have the above command options, If you had the option as leader and died, respawned as non leader, you would have lost them.

Thanks for your feedback,

Laggy
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2008, 09:50:33 by laggy »

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
« Reply #9 on: 26 Sep 2008, 15:57:14 »
I've just played it another time...
Did you ever click the ALPHA "COBRA Air Support" radio option?
I did!
If you do it dissappears and opens up three new radio options: BRAVO, CHARLIE and DELTA

I never had these new 3 options... I've always respawned as the team leader and just had the marker "pos" shown on the map after a singleclick...
If the pilots have landed on the base, they should get in the COBRA when you click "COBRA Air Support" and then be ready to be perform air support.
They landed on the base, and as I went back there to see what was happening and eventually pilot myself the chopper, I saw them in the cobra but they never took off... :no:
By the way, the mission didn't end as I had the objective "done" and patrolled half an hour around the town, and all was clear... :dunno:

I hope this will help you...
(and I still think there could be more ennemy activities... like a massive attack on the outpost)
Fleepee

Offline nominesine

• Former Staff
  • I'm NOT back!
    • The IKB Forum
« Reply #10 on: 26 Sep 2008, 23:23:14 »
Is version 1.2 the same version you mailed me? Or should I download a new version before I test it. I recall that the version I tested suffered from the missing Cobra msg.
OFPEC | Intel Depot
RETARDED Ooops... Retired!

Offline laggy

• Members
  • "Behold a pale horse"
« Reply #11 on: 27 Sep 2008, 14:16:09 »
Updated mission to 0.95 beta

Laggy

Offline fleepee

• Members
  • Enter the Matrix!
Re: [SP,COOP/QG] 1-10 Iraq Street Patrol.
« Reply #12 on: 29 Sep 2008, 10:49:17 »
hi!
The radio messages for the chopper are ok now...
But I called for support before taking care of the T72, so he was shot down!  :-[
still civil cars waiting at both entrances of the town, no activity in the east part, and that time no obective done as I patrolled in an hummer 30minutes without being attacked or seeing anything moving...