Home   Help Search Login Register  

Author Topic: New viper engine sound made. but..  (Read 2270 times)

Offline D007

• Members
New viper engine sound made. but..
« on: 26 Jul 2008, 22:24:07 »
I made a new sound file for the viper that is taken from a real dodge viper.
I looped a sound file that is about 1/2 a second long and worked it out for about half a day..lol..
Made it so when the sound loops you will not hear any crackling sounds or popping.
The sound file is literally 1/10 the original sound file size and sounds 10 times as good.
Sound has been equalized and tested properly as well so i know what to expect from it in game and it's not to loud..lol

I tried contacting that "general" guy like 4 times asking him is he minds me posting this new sound for his addon but he won't respond to me..
So i'm just going to release it..
I'm having one problem though.

I edited the config file for the car to change the sound file from .wav to .ogg to make it more arma friendly.
but after I pbo the file and try to unpbo it, arma unpbo and pbov view both say it is no longer a pbo file.. im stumped..lol

Why would these softwares nolonger recognize it as a pbo after? anyone know?
funny thing is even though pbo view and arma un pbo both say they don't recognize it as an arma file, it still works in game.
like a charm.

you guys would love the new sound.. a much richer,deeper sound. like a good gutteral sports car should be.
the previous viper sound is just the same as the cobra engine sound and likely other cars idk about.
This car so needed it..

the file is 1/10th the size and 10 times better sounding..
I made a very high quality sound file that had it been 5 seconds long "like the original sound file is" it would of been huge.
but by making a very high quality sound file at only a fraction of  a second in length and looping it, you get excellent sound quality and
extremely minimal bandidth requirements.

But if anyne could give me insight as to why this problem might be happening i'd really appreciate it.
I've been emailing armaholic and i emailed someone here when i first joined about overwriting the original viper download with the modified one. but i need to work out the pbo bug 1st.
even though it does work flawlessly it makes me uncomfortable to not know whats happeneing with something then release it to the unexpecting public. ya just never know ya know.

hope yas enjoy the new sound.. I know I do..lol..
I want to use it in my brorther "david.b" and i's edited version of quarantine when we release it. "after I talk to the original maker"
thank yas...

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
Re: New viper engine sound made. but..
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jul 2008, 00:59:47 »
greetings,

i had the same problem after 1.14 came out.

after updating to the new BI Tools it seemed ok.

Offline D007

• Members
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jul 2008, 04:05:31 »
ty Loki. I will download that now.. although I thought I already had XD..
Ill download and install it again even if i do just to make sure.. ty for the link ^^..
if anyone needs sounds edited, feel free to let me know.
I'm not selfish :P.

Besides I think we need to cut down these sound files that are running around.. much easier
to loop a 10kb file than a 150kb file.
and I've become pretty good at it..
No second rate clicky sound files coming from me.. :good:

Offline Wolfrug

• Addons Depot
  • Former Staff
  • Official OFPEC Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jul 2008, 09:13:59 »
This was the best spot I could find for this right now :D Since I've got a feeling your next question will be "so how do I make a replacement?" or somesuch. Well, it belongs somewhere in the AD anyway, so...

Wolfrug out.
"When 900 years YOU reach, look as good you will not!"

Offline D007

• Members
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jul 2008, 21:48:41 »
lol ty wolf.
I was pretty confused myself as to where to post about this one.
my bad.  :D

edit: I still can't make the new viper pbo able to be reopened after I change the sound file. I modify the config where it use to say .wav  and replaced it with a .ogg. then re pbo'd it.. and now It won't let me un pbo it.. but the file is still 100% readable by arma...
I don't get it..lol..
« Last Edit: 29 Jul 2008, 02:19:46 by D007 »

Offline loki72

• Former Staff
    • Loki's Nightmare
« Reply #5 on: 07 Aug 2008, 10:30:54 »
greetings,

the arma pbo maker only makes pbo's.

us PBO View/Extractor

to view and unpack pbo's.

Offline Planck

• Honoured
  • Former Staff
  • I'm never wrong ....I'm just not always right !
« Reply #6 on: 07 Aug 2008, 14:15:45 »
Wander into the OFPEC Editors Depot .... Tools section and you will find PBO tools galore (well one or two anyway).

I can recommend Mikeros Eliteness which will open and pack a PBO for any of the BI games (OFP,OFPRes,Elite,ArmA).
It also has other functions, read the readme files.

Tools Section.

Eliteness.

Planck
I know a little about a lot, and a lot about a little.